HD Subs are so screwed by compression... Operators like D*/E* must be LOL

I think most providers have bandwidth to provide full HD but choose not to on the assumption that we won't notice the difference (which is probally true for most) and they have to save bandwith for new channels, which seems to be a race to see who has more HD channles! I think as more people get HD and get more educated on what real HD is and what true HD can look like, then quality will will be the big ticket not how many they have!

Umm . . . are you under the impression that MSO's are holding back on their bandwidth? Because that's fairly ridiculous.

It's perfectly obvious to me that providers are stuck in a tug-of-war: better PQ versus more channels. You get one or the other, not both.

The central problem here is technical: trying to put next-generation transmissions, HD, on last-generation technology, i.e. the existing cable infrastructures and satellite transponders. Picture a snake that's swallowed a bowling ball.

It's further compounded by the lack of a standard that defines the minimum level of quality for a high-def transmission. Sure, there are numerous resolutions like 1080i and 720p that are called high-definition, but what makes an HD show look great is how high a bitrate the MSO can give it.

And the minimum bitrate changes every second; consider an ESPN show like "Sportscenter" that has studio shots of talking heads intercut with fast-moving game highlights. How can a network demand a minimum level of bandwidth when that minimum level is such a moving target?

Frankly, I'm pessimistic about ever seeing huge improvements in HDTV, for the simple reason that "picture quality" will never be a huge economic driver for the MSOs to worry about. Consumers will ALWAYS be more receptive to a service provider that has more channels, versus one with fewer channels that are better quality. Consider DirecTV's advertisements: the claim that they will have 150 HDTV channels next year is trumpeted loudly (and will only get louder next year after their new satellites are up). But the part where it says "For picture quality that beats cable, you've got to get DirecTV" is more of a throwaway than anything. And Dish doesn't even make any kind of similar claim, although they could just as easily.

Maybe if HD DVD takes off, people will see what their HDTVs are really capable of. But can anyone come up with an example of the American public voting with their dollars in favor of fewer, better-quality choices instead of more but lesser options?

With multicasting so prevalent, most affiliates don't give their HD channel the full bitrate either.
My point is, the networks or stations are still pushing their full, allowable bandwidth, i.e. 19.2Mb/s. Whether they use that for (1) channel or (10) is a different matter.

Visited a friend over the weekend who bought an HDTV earlier in the year and got Dish set up a couple months ago. He had on a sporting game on and was bragging about how great it looked in high definition. I didn't tell him that it sure didn't look HD to me (it was a local SD channel via Dish).

When he left the room, I grabbed the remote and poked around in it a bit. His Dish receiver was set to output 480i.

All of his HD enjoyment was in the placebo of thinking he had a good picture.

Maybe I am odd, but I could care less about HD. I sub to an HD pack and have a 622, and am very happy with the picture I get. I am more concerned about the program selection than if it is in HD or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts