HD Subscribers???

No Idea but it seems the HDTV in a box must be a bomb. For dealers they have a give away of 10 systems to the lucky dealer and for existing customers they are giving away 750 systems. Guess they can't selll the J**K so they are going to give them away. :(

I got the BOX deal for a second HDTV in my house. I used the 811 on my existing HD tv and put my old 301 on the new HD. I had the 811 on the new HDTV and on my existing Toshiba. Picture quality is comparable, features the same and overall, I think the HDTV box deal isn't a bad setup just people are always skeptical of box deals.

I got the model (RCA/Thomson model #)from Dish on the tv and found the comparable model on amazon from RCA going for $1500. Actually the dish tv has one more input than th RCA model, but other than the dish logo and the front panel they were pretty much identical. Overall, it's a good deal. especially for those looking to get into HD or like me looking to add a cheap second option.

liquidcapital1 said:
Anyone know how many HD subs these guy have (based on the amount of HD boxes shipped, etc.)? Thanks.

All we need to know is how many 811 and 6000 owners there are and then add the 27 people who own the 921 and there you have it! :D

I understand that the HD-in-a-box promotion has exceeded Dish networks expectations. Also, part of the availability issues with HD STBs have been related
to demand(811 and 921) and not technical problems. It sounds like demand for the
34" monitor(I took this deal) has been higher then the 40" projection model......which
would explain why the give away promotion does not give the 34" option. By the way, I have been very happy with my 34W monitor, it has great features and most importantly a great HD picture.

boba said:
No Idea but it seems the HDTV in a box must be a bomb. For dealers they have a give away of 10 systems to the lucky dealer and for existing customers they are giving away 750 systems. Guess they can't selll the J**K so they are going to give them away. :(

I see it this way; if you were REALLY going to get into HD would you want anything under 50"? They should have bumped the price another $100 or two and offered that X1 HD front projector.

Actually, my FP screen is almost twice as long diagonally, making it almost 4 times the screen area as your cute little 60". No need for screenus envy, though, Simon. Some girls prefer it that small.

But, seriously, I just can't imagine watching most programming on anything larger than 30"-40". That's why we use the two different devices.

GaryPen said:
Actually, my FP screen is almost twice as long diagonally, making it almost 4 times the screen area as your cute little 60".

4 times the screen area than a 60"?

A 32" 16:9 flat panel (larger than yours) is about 532" SQ viewable area.
Yet my UltraVision 65X500 16:9 is 1858" SQ viewable area. Nearly 3.5 times bigger. So you would need to have about 7432" SQ to be 4 times the size. A 46" 16:9 comes in at 900" SQ viewable so you would need to be 3600" SQ to be 4 times larger. Even a 60" 4:3 has a viewable area of 1392" SQ when in 1080i HD mode. This 2.5 times bigger.

How exactly are you trying to convey that a 30" FP is superior for HD?

Wouldn't one say that 1080i @ 1858", 1392" or even 900" SQ is superior to 1080i @ 532" SQ viewable?

Why can you imagine anything over 40"? Have you ever been to a real theater? I can't imagine anything under 80" for REAL home theater!

Current Setup:
DishNetwork 811
UltraVision 65X500
HTS Premier 70 (C-band)
Samsung DSR-3800CI (DVB/FTA)
10' H-H Paraclipse
Dish500 (110/119)
Dish300 (61.5)
ReplayTV 4508
Yamaha RX-Z1
Toshiba SD-3750

charper1 said:
4 times the screen area than a 60"?

A 32" 16:9 flat panel (larger than yours) is about 532" SQ viewable area.
Yet my UltraVision 65X500 16:9 is 1858" SQ viewable area. Nearly 3.5 times bigger. So you would need to have about 7432" SQ to be 4 times the size. A 46" 16:9 comes in at 900" SQ viewable so you would need to be 3600" SQ to be 4 times larger. Even a 60" 4:3 has a viewable area of 1392" SQ when in 1080i HD mode. This 2.5 times bigger.

How exactly are you trying to convey that a 30" FP is superior for HD?

Wouldn't one say that 1080i @ 1858", 1392" or even 900" SQ is superior to 1080i @ 532" SQ viewable?

Why can you imagine anything over 40"? Have you ever been to a real theater? I can't imagine anything under 80" for REAL home theater!

Let's try not to berate other users devices please.

Gary was referring to his FP (Front Projector) setup. He also has a 30" direct view 16x9 set. 2 different setups. Can't imagine a front projector with a 30" screen, 30' maybe ;)

I'm not sure what your "berate" comment refers to. All I see is a good natured, humorous exchange between two members.

NightRyder

GaryPen said:
As of June 1st, they report that they have what is technically referred to as a bunch. They are expected to reach the shitload milestone by the end of Q3-04.

lol, classic.

NightRyder said:
Gary was referring to his FP (Front Projector) setup. He also has a 30" direct view 16x9 set. 2 different setups. Can't imagine a front projector with a 30" screen, 30' maybe ;)NightRyder

I thought exactly the same thing but with CRT in there I really assumed he was talking up a 30" CRT or maybe a 30" flat panel. Thus my confusion of why/how a 30" was being praised. Must be an inside joke.

My bad and I removed the comment.

charper1 said:
I thought exactly the same thing but with CRT in there I really assumed he was talking up a 30" CRT or maybe a 30" flat panel. Thus my confusion of why/how a 30" was being praised. Must be an inside joke.

My bad and I removed the comment.

No problem charper1. Hang around here for a while and you'll pick up on the various personalities, their interactions and sometimes divergent sense of humor :)

NightRyder

Charper - I have a 30" CRT AND a 96" Front Projection screen mounted directly above it.

I don't care for most TV programming that large (imagine a giant Dick Cheney face in yor LR), so I use the 30" for the majority of it, while using the FP for DVD's and occasional HD stuff like movies, sports, concerts, etc.

It looks something like this:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=3048

GaryPen said:
I don't care for most TV programming that large (imagine a giant Dick Cheney face in yor LR), ....
Preferable, I think, to a huge John Kerry face. For that you'd need a 9x16 aspect ratio, hehehe :p