HD Tivo and 921 comparisons

B

BrettStah

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 23, 2004
You may want to update your chart, AppliedAgression... it's a little out of date now.

O

ocaddict

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 5, 2004
Atlanta
Kryspy said:
Well,

I made my decision long ago. Stick with a good HD receiver and build yourself a future proof infinite upgradeable HTPC to do all of your recording.

Kryspy

Amen to that brother. It's the 1 option that beats all of them out there right now. But most folks don't have the knowledge, or time to play with an HTPC.
As far as the keyboard goes. The 921 is basically a PC so why not have a keyboard?

Anyone know if there will be a standalone TIVO offering? Or are they only doing it in conjunction with DTV? Just curious.

M

martin1

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 1, 2004
No
Their is no SA tivo for Hd just SD. There is on sch. plan for one as of yet.
Can only hope.

StevenD

StevenD

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2003
n
I have an HTPC that records in SD. I understand the MyHD card will record OTA in HD. But what about HD from DISH or VOOM?

SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
Florissant, CO
StevenD said:
I have an HTPC that records in SD. I understand the MyHD card will record OTA in HD. But what about HD from DISH or VOOM?
Yes, please! Does anyone know of a reasonably priced HD capture card? DVI or component. And of course, I'll need an appropriate HD graphics card, too.

GaryPen

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Supporting Founder
Simon - Check out the Yahoo Group "HDTV-in-SFBay". They recently had a couple of threads on that very topic. IIRC, there are two brand/models that are preferred, each having it's own good and bad points. I can't remember their names.

SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
Florissant, CO
GaryPen said:
Simon - Check out the Yahoo Group "HDTV-in-SFBay". They recently had a couple of threads on that very topic. IIRC, there are two brand/models that are preferred, each having it's own good and bad points. I can't remember their names.
Thanks - I'm digging through there now.

K

Ken F

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 8, 2004
Yes, please! Does anyone know of a reasonably priced HD capture card? DVI or component. And of course, I'll need an appropriate HD graphics card, too.
No reasonably priced DVI/component capture cards exist.

You can either give up the DVI/component capture or give up the the $$$$. You can buy a 921 or DirecTivo HDTV for 1/3 to 1/6 the cost.

SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
Florissant, CO
Ken F said:
No reasonably priced DVI/component capture cards exist.

You can either give up the DVI/component capture or give up the the $$$$. You can buy a 921 or DirecTivo HDTV for 1/3 to 1/6 the cost.
Yeah - you're right. :( I was hoping to find something to use to offload my 921, and there's no joy out there.