HD TV and OTA to Six Rooms

jvta

Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Texas
I am trying to understand what equipment I will need to distribute HD and OTA to six separate rooms using Dish Network service. This will be in a new construction and I am about to begin prewiring and don't want to miss anything. I plan to homerun from the dish to a panel and distribute from there (if possible). The setup I want to acheive is this:

Family Room and BR 1-4 each with HD DVR and OTA
Kitchen: HD and OTA

All advice and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

If you want HD in each room you will need 2 DP 44 switchs in a central location. There will have to be power nearby to plug in the power inserters for the 44 switchs. If you are useing a media pannel, I would go with a larger one for the 44's take up a bit of room. I like to have the inserters near the switch because it cuts down of signal loss from the #1 ports ( I have ran into difficulty with dual tuners and diplexors on these ports and try to go with as little loss as I can get away with.)
You may want to run 2 RG 6 to each tv location. One for sat one for ota. Both will connect to the reciver. Run 5 coaxs to your dish location to your media pannel one for each sat location, 110, 119, 129, and where ever your local provider dish location(not in needed all markets but good for redundancy) One coax to your off air antenea. Avoid using diplexors if possible, each diplexor is 11DBmv of attenuation. 3DB is a loss of half the signal. 11 DB= 1/15 of the original signal.
Bear in mind that E* has no 6 room promos so you will have to purchase recivers.622's and 722's DVRs are kind of spendy, The current promo, will supply one HDDVR, and one HD dual tuner. You may be able to get them to give you two more HDsingle tuners, but you will have some expensce with the 2nd DVR. 211's or 411's are your most economical choice. The dual tuners (222,622,722) only output on HD signal the other is a SD. So for 6 HD TVs, you will need 6 HD Reciviers.
For finishing you may want to run either 5 coax from the reciever location to your screen, or 1 HDMI. Give yourself some room on the cable to move the reciever or tv around. HDMIs may be expensive, but it is cheaper than having to replace the entire cable after breaking one of the ends off from to tight of a run. You may want to test the cable before burying it in the wall. That also saves on headaches in the future. BTW never unhook or hook and hdmi while the reciver is pluged in to 110 electric, they tend to burn out the hdmi port on the reciever. Dish will replace under warenty, but its a pain.

I hope this info helps...

Last edited:
Run 4 coax to each room, leave 2 in the box and use the other 2. You can NEVER have too much cable. Be sure to label both ends of the unused cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)