HD upgrade programming / pricing question...

RedWings

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Leesburg, VA
I called Dish this morning to have them upgrade me to a HD package since I received a new HDTV as a x-mas gift. I just want to make I went the correct route and the CSR wasn't feeding me any bull.

He said I was 'required' to sign an 18-mth agreement to lease the 622 along with a $199 upgrade fee that covers install. He also said they are offering the $10 off a month deal for upgrading after MIR. I asked him if there was any way to avoid the 18mth agreement and he told me the only way was to purchase the receiver.

Is this right? When I originally got Dish service a few months back, I could avoid the agreement by paying the $50 install.

Well I'm a new customer, not an existing one, and I was not required to agree to the 18 month term... I just happened to agree to it because I have no intention of moving or switching providers.

I would say the person who told you it was required... well lied.

My .02

On an upgrade, the 18 month committment is required. Only way around it is to purchase the receiver outright. I believe the 622 can be bought for around $450. Not sure of exact price. Also, HD upgrades are different than standard upgrades. What is true for one is not true for the other. HD requires you to view three different sat locations while sd only needs one or two for the most part.

On an upgrade, the 18 month committment is required. Only way around it is to purchase the receiver outright. I believe the 622 can be bought for around $450. Not sure of exact price. Also, HD upgrades are different than standard upgrades. What is true for one is not true for the other. HD requires you to view three different sat locations while sd only needs one or two for the most part.

In my market, I needed 3 satellites anyway for locals. If I had thought I would be buying a TV this soon, I should have upgraded 2 months ago. Could have eliminated the $50 repair fee to get my Superdish replaced with the Dish 1000.

I might have considered just buying the receiver if it was only $450. Compared to the TV, etc, the extra $250 isn't too bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)