HD with old Dish LNBs?

Joe Satellite Fan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Palisade, Colorado
I have several of the old Dish dishes with the original lnb (the kind where you could swap directv and dish and they would still work just fine). Will I be able to get HD tv with a new VIP211K receiver with the old dish (original dish 500)?

I realize that I can only get 110 and 119 satellites, so won't get everything. Anyone know exactly what signals are on the 129? I'd be willing to give up some of the HD for this simple solution. If not, then guess I'll have to get the new triple feed lnb dish.

I have several of the old Dish dishes with the original lnb (the kind where you could swap directv and dish and they would still work just fine). Will I be able to get HD tv with a new VIP211K receiver with the old dish (original dish 500)?

I realize that I can only get 110 and 119 satellites, so won't get everything. Anyone know exactly what signals are on the 129? I'd be willing to give up some of the HD for this simple solution. If not, then guess I'll have to get the new triple feed lnb dish.
Old LNBs are called Legacy and the 211 is compatible with them. For HD you need signals from 129. You can use another dish 500 with a dual LEGACY LNB not a TWIN. A SW64 switch must be used because of LEGACY LNBs. All LNBs need to be DUALS to give 6 inputs for the switch.

Strongly recommend dropping the Legacy equipment and go with 1000.2 and Dish Pro Plus technology.

A SW64 switch must be used because of LEGACY LNBs.
Why would he need to upgrade to a SW64 with a 211?

If he is replacing an existing receiver (the OP doesnt mention that) just use a Legacy Twin and a dual. Use a Sw21 to combine the 110/119 and the 129. The 211 has only one input so DPP isnt needed.
Heck if he wants to ghetto rig a LNB next to the Twin he could. Simple setup of a D500 with 110/119/129...I did that a few years ago when 129 first came online :)

Attachments

• IM000353.JPG
    IM000353.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 247
  • IM000354.JPG
    IM000354.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 241
Good guess. I'm replacing an old 508D DVR receiver. Why I want to upgrade to the 211 is I want to be able to take it with my camper. I currently use an old Legacy 2700 that I take with me using a Dish 500, with the old Legacy lnbs. But I crave portable HD. That's why I said I wanted to just use the Dish 500 with Legacy lnbs with the 211. I want to replace the 508D in the bedroom with the 211 and make that my camping receiver also.
You basically answered my question. Sure, some day I'll just have to bite the bullet and get the 1000.2 dish, but the Dish 500 is so easy to setup, and gets me my HD ... NOW.

Thanks for the help! Now, if I can just figure out what's on the 129. Hmm, if I just go out and cover up the lnb, I should be able to figure out what's missing ... lol.

Thanks for the link, Iceberg. I guess that pretty sums it up. Just gonna have to get the 1000.2 ... was hoping to just get by for a month or so, but I see all my local HD channels are on 129. One of the main reasons I wanted the HD.

The 1k2 is also going to be the most stable system. The old Legacy equipment would work, but it would be enough hassle to find any working Legacy LNBs now, let alone any DishPro besides Duals and DualBand.

Heck if he wants to ghetto rig a LNB next to the Twin he could. Simple setup of a D500 with 110/119/129...I did that a few years ago when 129 first came online :)
poor mans dish 1000.....used to do it with 300's and offset the lnb's to make the poor mans dish 500 and like you when 129 first came online hose clamped the single to the twin on my 500...worked pretty good...

Use the dish 500 (110/119) and a second dish pointed at 129 then combine with a SW21. This will provide the best signal and easiest config.

hey whats wrong with a "ghetto rig?" ;)

I have a theory in the FTA area....if you aint using hose clamps, zip ties, wood or duct tape ya aint trying :)
.....but now that I think about it my setup (2 KU dishes, a D* dish, 6 foot C-Band dish) only one has zip ties on it....use to be every dish had hoseclamps and wood to space out the LNB's properly ;)

Agreed. I am sure you can get a better signal using any arrangement of items in that theory than on any 1000+ DN dish.

I live in my camper over 100+ days per year. I used just a single LNB for several years, and pointed it at the 110 and quite a bit HD programing and very easy to set up. I found the 129 difficult to capture. A year ago I spent the big bucks at Camping World and had a Winegard Traveler installed, sure works nice and fully auto and gets 110,119,129. Thanks Martha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)