hddvd surround sound

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

carlosg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 24, 2004
I have a jvc theater in a box can i hook up my hddvd player to this or do i have to buy something new model no th-m505 thanks

If you have a digital audio input (coax or optical) and if your AV receiver has a DTS logo on it, you should be ok.
For even better sound quality you may want to have analog 5.1 inputs, but DTS sounds great too.
Looking at the manual for TH-M505, this unit does have a digital audio input (optical) and it does support DTS.

Is the analog 5.1 that much bette than the DTS output? Just asking because on my Yamaha reciever, its much easier to use DTS. I just switch inputs on the reciever. If I use analog 5.1, I can't switch inputs on the receiver until I "unswitch" from analog 5.1. Seems like it would be more of a hassle then its worth.

-John

jgantert said:
Is the analog 5.1 that much bette than the DTS output? Just asking because on my Yamaha reciever, its much easier to use DTS. I just switch inputs on the reciever. If I use analog 5.1, I can't switch inputs on the receiver until I "unswitch" from analog 5.1. Seems like it would be more of a hassle then its worth.

-John

"Unswitch", as in pressing a different button on the remote? On my SOny receiver, the 5.1 input is in the "list" of all inputs, so it's no different / more difficult then switching from my Dish 211 receiver to DVD (digital optical) than it is switching from digital optical to 5.1 analog.

I always listen to HD DVD using the 5.1 analog to enjoy the DD Plus audio encoding. It took awhile to manually configure the speaker settings on the HD-DVD player (using distance and dB to increase/decrease individual speaker volume) as my receiver doesn't do any processing on 5.1 audio. But it was worth it - the HD DVD DD+ soundtrack is much better IMHO. But then I switch to digital optical for standard DVD DD or DTS 5.1.

Last edited:
Unswitch, just like you go from DSP to "No Effect". You go from input (DVD, VCR, SAT, etc) to "EXT DEC" (External decoder).

Basically, it messes up my macros on my JP1 remote. :)

So for HD-DVD, I would need EXT-DEC. To go back to CBL, I would need EXT-DEC (to turn it off) then CBL. Those two would be ok. Now throw in XBOX. To get to XBOX, I need EXT-DEC then SAT if I was in HD-DVD mode. But I need just SAT if I was in CBL mode! I'm not sure of an easier way to program the remote.

-John

No longer must use analog only... I think.

With the old firmware I was only able to output DTS via digital.
Now, with the newest update (as of 07/04/06) I am able to use my receiver's THX Ultra 2 setting for 7.1 sound.
So, it seems that the necessity to use analog 5.1 for the best sound may be "Fixed". Is this so?
I was watching U-571 and it sounded awesome.

I guess the use of analog is still necessary with DD+ and TrueHD is it not?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts