HDDVR with DVD burner and whole house HD!

Digital Dude

Home Theater Editor
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
SHADO
One of the things fun about this job is finding diamonds in the rough, so to speak.

Today I ran across T.S. Microtech and their HD-DVR that burns to DVD and streams HD throughout your house! If that sounds exciting, they have promised me a review sample so a full blown review will be coming (hopefully) next month.

Here is a picture of the unit.

P1010617.jpg

The unit is called the HD360 and is basically a turn-key HTPC with incredibly smart integration.

Here are the spes from their home page (www.HDeHome.com)

Features:
• HD & regular TV receiver
• View & record HDTV.
• Archive to DVD. Each DVD holds 1 hour of HD TV contents.
• 120G of harddisk. Holds 15 hours of HD TV contents.
• Transfer your favorite programs to DVD for years of enjoyment.
• S-video, Composite and audio inputs
• Up-convert all incoming video to 720p or 1080i
• 2 RF Inputs both HDTV compatible
• RGB and Component (Y-Pb-Pr) output for HD contents
• Dolby Digital 5.1 Multi-channel audio via S/PDIF
• Record to D-VHS
• Optional DVI & Firewire (1394) outputs. Adds $99.
• Plays both NTSC and PAL DVDs.
• NTSC version
• Dimension (mm): 102.8(H) x 387(W) x 413(D)

Corporte Price $999
($1099 with 2 ATSC tuners)

A visual representation of the features is here.
P1010615.jpg

A little more in-depth on the features on the poster, starting from top left and going counter-clockwise.

Bullet Proof System- Windows XP/Media center is notorious for freezing and crashing, usually when you need to restore to a previous state it's a software solution that takes precious minutes, up to 10 minutes. The HD360 features a flash memory restore that can restore the unit in 3 seconds! No more missing a program because Windows decides to crash..

Unlimited online DVD/HD storage-It's a PC at heart, you can archive on DVD or add hard drives for over a terrabyte of HDTV goodness.

No setup No monthly Fee- It's a plug and play ATSC, QAM, and NTSC recording device, without needing a phone line and paying every month to use it!

BR, HD-DVD archive- When available you can add a Blu-ray or HD-DVD burner. It comes with a dual layer burner that allows you to store 1 hour of HD on a DVD. More on that later.

Scaler- Naturally it will scale DVD or game systems to HD quality.

Multi-room Media Server- Don't let the picture fool you, it will stream HD up to 5 rooms via Cat-5e or adapters. More on that below.

FREE HD- As stated it will record ATSC, QAM, and NTSC.

Remote internet scheduling- You can log into it from anywhere to schedule recordings, like AT&T Homezone but free Hd only.

Watch one record another- The dual ATSC version is a $99 upgrade from the base package hat allows you to watch/record on 2 channels simultaneously.

So you want to know how it does HD on a standard DVD don't you? The HD360 captures the OTA HD as a .ts or .TP file. 1 hour of 1080i equals about 1 dual layer DVD. TSM has free software to download to watch the .ts file in HD via another PC with VGA-component out or via a DVD player that supports the format!

Media Server/ House distributun- TSM has adapters that plus into your electrical outlet ($59EA) or Phone outlet ($79EA) that will stream HD over Cat5 to any point in your house. They also have an upgraded version of the electric line version that is 200meg capable which can stream the HD video to up to 5 rooms in your house.

For $149 TSM sells a portable 20 Meg media player pictured below.

P1010616.jpg

You can download to it via USB and it features a VGA out with which you can use a VGA to component cable to connect it to and HDTV with component inputs.

I like it, I like it alot! The HD360 comes with a 1 year parts and labor warranty, and the only ongoing cost to use it is the electricity it consumes.

Stay tuned to Satelliteguys for an in-depth review coming soon!

Now why can't E* or D* make satellite tuner PCI cards that would integrate into such a beast as this?

I'm pretty sure they don't want to, due to copyright concerns.

DirecTv had announced one last year but it died a death of no PR. I'll ask them Saturday.

The unit on display (not in the poster) is clearly a Shuttle computer which has the built in Firewire IEEE 1394 port as can be seen on the front panel.

It's either an Intel Based SB83G2B a SS30G2_SE or an AMD driven SK22G2.

Only the SB83G2B has a gig ethernet connection, the others have 10/100. Finding out which processor and NIC Connection it uses would narrow it down.

As the Shuttles have 1 PCI/Express slot and 1 Video slot, there would not be a place for an additional card for a satellite as the ATSC tuner(s) clearly take up the PCI slot.

EDIT: On closer inspection, its the Intel Based SB83G2B as can be seen by 3 round connectors on the front panel - the other models only have 2 - thus it does have the gig ethernet connection, PCI Express for Graphics and 1 x 32-bit PCI slot.

Shuttle XPC LGA775 Computer Barebone System SB83G2, Intel i915G Chipset, Black Aluminum G2 Chassis, Supports Dual DDR400, PCI-E, SATA, RAID, w/ GB LAN, USB 2.0 & Firewire, Silent X 250W Power Supply

This is Shuttle XPC Computer Barebone System, Shuttle Aluminum G2 Chassis, Intel i915G Chipset. It Supports Intel P4/ Celeron D LGA775 up to 3.6GHz, FSB 800/533MHz CPU, Model: SB83G2.

Features:
Silent X Technology.
Dual-CH DDR400 support.
IEEE1394 Firewire(400 Mb/s) support.
PCI Express (x16).
SATA 150 RAID 0, 1 support.

Specifications: Model: SB83G2. Color: Black. Product Type: Barebone system (No CPU, HDD or memory etc. incld.). Chassis: Shuttle - G2. Material: Aluminum. Dimension: 8" x 11" x 7" (WxDxH). Drive Bay: (1) 5.25" - exposed. (1) 3.5" - exposed. (1) 3.5" - internal. Front Panel: 2 x USB2.0, 1 x Line-In jack, 1 x Mic-In jack, 1 x H-Phone jack, 1 x Mini 1394. Rear I/O: 1 x Serial, 1 x 1394, 1 x VGA, 1 x RJ-45 Gigabit LAN, 2 x USB2.0, 1 x 6-CH Audio jacks, 1 x Line_In jack, 1 x Optical SPDIF_In, 1 x Optical SPDIF_Out, 1 x Coaxial Audio port, 1 x Clear CMOS button, 1 x PS/2 KB connector, 1 x PS/2 Mouse connector. Exp. Slots: 1 PCI Express (x16). 1 PCI. Power Supply: SilentX 250W w/ PFC. Chipset: Intel i915G + ICH6-R. CPU FSB: 800 / 533 MHz. CPU Support: Intel P4/Celeron D LGA775 to 3.6GHz. Mem. Slots: 2 x 184-pin DDR DIMM slots. Mem. Capacity: Upto 2GB max. Mem. Type: Unbuffered, Non-ECC, Dual-CH DDR400/333 (PC3200/2700) support. Audio: Realtek ALC658 6-CH audio. VGA: Intel GMA 900. Gigabit LAN: Marvell 88E8001 (1-Port). IDE: 1 x UDMA/100 IDE connector. SATA RAID: Intel ICH6-R, 2 x SATA 150 connectors. RAID 0, 1 support. IEEE 1394a: VIA VT6307 OHCI (2-port).

http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=74771

Last edited:
looking forward to your review... I see it is connected to two computer monitors. How will it work on an HDTV via component? Will you still get the two tuners (pip maybe)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)