HDMI Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Watts

Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Thinking of getting a 942 receiver. Will the HDMI output carry Dolby Digital encoding, or do you still have to have the optical cable?
Thanks

Watts said:
Thinking of getting a 942 receiver. Will the HDMI output carry Dolby Digital encoding, or do you still have to have the optical cable?
Thanks

One of the big things about HDMI is that it carries the digital picture as well as audio so you should have no problem unless you have a DVI input on your TV in which case you'd have to use the Optical output.

Seems like most people with a 942 are going to be running digital audio to the sound system and digital video to the monitor.

The new audio/video receivers are starting starting to incorporate HDMI and presumably would be able to pull the audio from the HDMI.

Thanks for the replies. I plan to buy a HDMI in / out capable A/V receiver. I realize that HDMI carries both audio and video, but my real question is...
Will the Dolby Digital encoding be carried via HDMI? OR Will I still have to run my optical cable from the Dish receiver to A/V receiver?

I think HDMI will carry your Dolby Surround sound. I just ordered an HDMI cable today and will be trying it out soon enough. I'm really curious to know whether it's better video quality than component.

Actually, the HDMI output on the 942 only supports 2 channel sound. So you'll need the optical cable for full surround sound.

lakebum431 said:
Actually, the HDMI output on the 942 only supports 2 channel sound. So you'll need the optical cable for full surround sound.

Thats interesting.. I wonder why they did that..

Probably whenever more home audio recievers incorporate an hdmi input/output, dish will probably expand the function on the port..

... hopefully :hungry: