HDMI to Component Question

wberndt

Oct 23, 2007
I have a question maybe someone can answer...

I have an older model Akai (ne Samsung) Rear-projection HDTV that only accepts component cables and a max resolution of 1080i. I KNOW noone makes a straight-forward HDMI-Component converter, but I have seen HDMI to DVI and DVI to Component converters.

Does anyone know if a) Hooking the 2 converters up would give me a signal and b) would they support HDCP for Upconversion. I am mostly interested because I am considering getting a PS3 for blu-ray & would like to see my current DVD collection upconverted to 1080i.

Thanks for the help.

If you convert to component you will lose HDCP. HDCP is on HDMI/DVI inputs to devices like televisions. Component inputs do not support HDCP.

Check out my post on the hdfury.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/television-sets-projectors/115038-hd-fury-looks-amazing.html
It makes older tv's hd compliant.
I have used it on several older tv's and it works very well.
I wonder if you could use the component AFTER it tells the device that the tv is compliant.
It is hdmi to dvi in - then vga out.
It seems that if you did vga to component out you should be fine since the hdcp shake has already happened.
There is a forum on their webpage that will answer this for you.
-phil

Thanks Phil (giraffejumper)

- I'm going to keep my eye on this HD Fury device. $150 is not bad to 'Update' my TV (as opposed to spending a couple thousand for a new one). I appreciate the input.

- wb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)