HDMI VS Component

jhump

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
Is there really a big difference between the hdmi and the hd (red, white and blue ) Component. Not sure if it really worth the money to go out an by HDMI cables. Any feedback would be great.

Just stick with your component cables. I started with HDMI on my 622 but later switched to component and I think the component looks better, IMO.

You should search "HDMI component" (no quotes) and read the vast number of posts on this topic. There is some difference, noticeable to many. Whether you prefer one to the other will be highly subjective and based on a number of factors including equipment capabilities and settings and the program you're watching. In my Sony LCD/622 set-up, I find that I prefer HDMI for what appears to be a sharper image, but the component connections seem to offer deeper color saturation. I have not spent much time making any adjustments to the TV, which are considerable. YMMV

You can buy an HDMI cable on-line for less than $20 and it will certainly work as well as any of the $100 cables the big box stores are pushing. Try www.monoprice.com.

BTW - The standard component cable/connector colors are red, green, blue...

I Had A Dvi Cable On My 811 But Switched To 211. Now I Can Use My Dvi Cable. What A Waste Of Money.

I would have to buy a DVI-HDMI. I don't have a HDMI hookup on my TV. Oops not sure why I said Red, white and blue.

This has been discussed many times over, the difference really depends on what type of display you use, and the brand, as well.
Personally I can not detect any difference between the 2 inputs on my Sony CRT HDTV.

Stats8 said:
This has been discussed many times over, the difference really depends on what type of display you use, and the brand, as well.
Personally I can not detect any difference between the 2 inputs on my Sony CRT HDTV.

Yep, me too (Sony KW5700). Thanks to a failed HDMI port on my 622, switched to component cables, did not see a difference. While there is a big question as to whether the HDMI problem is a software issue, per DISH, or a hardware issue, per many others, I really don't care. Not interested in the hassle of switching out 622 boxes just to have another HDMI failure, and losing the programs I have saved.

Never had a problem with my HDMI on the 942, man, I loved that machine. Thanks again, Charlie.

jhump said:
I Had A Dvi Cable On My 811 But Switched To 211. Now I Can Use My Dvi Cable. What A Waste Of Money.
I had the same deal (811 DVI / Sony HDMI) and spent about $90 for the HDMI/DVI cable at BB (duuhhh!). When I ordered the 622 from DishStore I had Claude throw in a HDMI/HDMI cable for another $10. Even the DVI/HDMI adapter I would need to use the old cable cost a good bit more than that ($30?) in any local store. I'm still using the 811 connected to an old SD receiver. If I ever buy another HD TV for that location before E* upgrades the 811 I might get some more use out of that original cable. Until then it's just one more tangled-up addition to my "maybe I'll need it someday" drawer...

People keep asking this question.... 10 people = 10 opinions.

The real problem is Best Buy Salesmen telling people they MUST buy the $60 HDMI cable. These markups are CRIMINAL.

Go to monoprice.com. Get the cable, and decide for yourself (assuming you get a 622 with a functional hdmi).

When I bought my first HDTV from Best Buy (32" CRT 1080i monitor) I actually had the guy tell me if I didn't buy the monster component cables that I should just buy an SVIDEO cable because the quality would be about the same. I laughed in his face and told him he and/or his company is going to be sued some day for saying that line of total BS. He walked away from me disgusted afterwards...

I just don't get why someone would say something so stupid when he doesn't even get a commission. I worked at Best Buy in high school and I never felt the need to lie, the products generally sell themselves.

My take....

This topic does beat a dead horse, but here goes....

If you have an analog HD set, for example a CRT or CRT projector, go for component. The signal has to be converted from digital to analog at some point anyway, so if your set top box does not do the conversion, your TV does. But if you are running a purely digital set, like an LCD, go for HDMI. Using component with a digital set means digital>analog>digital which can soften the picture.

If you can just buy both and make your own choice i work for dish and get asked this question all day,which ever one you like just return the other and to be honest i have never seen a difference between a monster cable for $200 and a off name for $30 component or hdmi

If you have a 622, don't waste your money, cause the HDMI port will crap out on you sooner or later. Been through 2 machines now, and they will NOT replace any more units. Just told me 'deal with it' and use component cables.

I was using a Monoprice HDMI cable to my plasma, also had Component, seems like Component had more contrasty picture, so I re-calibrated for Component and have not gone back to Hdmi. This seems to help with some of the weaker SD staions

I have a Samsung rear projection CRT HDTV and had to switch from an HDMI->DVI cable to component because the HDMI port on my 622 crapped out. I can't really tell a difference in sharpness, but the color saturation is better on component than HDMI.
Phillips makes some nice audio/video cables - got a 6 foot HDMI->DVI cable from the local Wal*Mart for under $30. A set of shielded, gold-plated component cablesf rom Phillips sell for about $26 in my area.
I have a friend who works at Best Buy. They're told to push the Monster cables and crap. You should see how much they push the super expensive surge protectors when someone buys a new computer!

JeremyL said:
...Phillips makes some nice audio/video cables - got a 6 foot HDMI->DVI cable from the local Wal*Mart for under $30...
I bought one of the Philips HDMI -> HDIM cables from Wal*Mart (borrowed, actually) as well for the same price in order to satisfy E* and myself that there was nothing wrong with my existing cable. The Philips product was a decent cable and a whole lot cheaper than what BB is pushing; if you need one quickly I recommend it, otherwise buy one for $15 or less on-line. I returned it only because I didn't need two...
...I have a friend who works at Best Buy. They're told to push the Monster cables and crap. You should see how much they push the super expensive surge protectors when someone buys a new computer!
Just like a hamburger joint pushing the large sodas and fries - they make a much smaller margin on the "meat" of the product line and need to push the high mark-up extras to make-up the difference. I used to work in a regional McDonald's clone and got a good sense of the business. We always had to "sell-up". The manager trained us that the hamburger got them in the door, but it was the soda and fries that kept that door open! Same at BB, I guess...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)