HDNet Movies joins the HD-Lite crowd??

I should have added that the above response was doubly disheartening in that it appears that HDNET-lite is here to stay. Scott had previously suggested that it might be temporary.

I guess the word is to enjoy any opportuntity to watch or record true HD with good bit rates on Dish, because at any moment, it could be the last time such a program is ever shown by E*.

Scott had previously suggested that it might be temporary.
Thats because I was told the NFL was there for the Preview showroom.

If its going to stay there then it does not need to be on 61.5 or 129. Its also funny because on 110 its in MPEG2 while on the other birds its real MPEG4.

Todays response from Technical Operations regarding bit rate & resolution

Tom Bombadil said:
Now that was a disheartening response.

A person from Technical Operations cannot see a different between full rez 1920x1080 at 18Mbps vs 1440x1080 at 13Mbps.

No wonder HD-lite is showing up on more and more channels.

Thank you for your patience on this issue. The video problem you are seeing on HD Movies has been escalated to our quality department at our uplink facility and they will continue to monitor the service from there. Has far as the bit rate for each service it is not fixed. Meaning the transponder itself has a total number of MB that is allocated to each service as needed based on what content is showing. For example an action movie would need more bandwidth to maintain picture quality than a talking head. This is called variable bit rate or VBR, so depending what is showing on HD Movies would determine what the bit rate would be at that particular time.

Lincoln

Viewers with cutting-edge displays such as the newest 1080p front projectors are hosed as far as satellite delivery HD-Lite is concerned. That's the way it seems to be heading, at least. :(

We can instantly see the PQ difference between Directv "HD" and the best Dish HD channels viewing the 8' wide picture our 1080p Sony VPL-VW100 Ruby projector throws.

Even the most attentive, meticulous, careful and conscientious, [ and 20/20 :) ] control-room techs would be very understandably challenged to see any difference in this down-rezzing, when viewing on their super-high-quality but relatively small professional monitors.

[PIE]"The video problem you are seeing on HD Movies has been escalated to our quality department at our uplink facility...an action movie would need more bandwidth to maintain picture quality than a talking head".[/PIE]I wonder how much bandwidth this talking head requires?:rolleyes:

This was the same answer an E* tech gave me in 1999 to explain why their SD channels were getting worse and worse.

Of course the same principles apply. The problem is that Dish is trying to put too many HD channels on a single transponder. Just like they did with the SD channels.

HDTVFanAtic said:
Again, he will absolutely sell this channel when he can make a bundle - just as he did with broadcast.com.

Yahoo sure paid a lot of money just to have a re-direct to yahoo.com

I thought I read somewhere that DVHS can do up to 28Mpbs

The new dual-layer 50GB Blu Ray discs can handle up to around 25Mbps and still hold a full length movie.

However I doubt we see much released using this high bitrate. Perhaps some company will release a few "SuperBit" type Blu Ray movies. Otherwise the extra space will probably be used for adding more content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts