hdtv #2?

jeff5656

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
I have the 722 downstairs hooked up to my hdtv. Upstairs is a regular tv. A coaxial comes out of the wall into that tv. I want to replace that with an hdtv. The person at dish said I would need a new, spearate DVR upstairs to get high def. IS thius true? I guess it makes sense since there is presenly a coaxial coming out of the wall so that doesn't carry a high def signal.

I have the 722 downstairs hooked up to my hdtv. Upstairs is a regular tv. A coaxial comes out of the wall into that tv. I want to replace that with an hdtv. The person at dish said I would need a new, spearate DVR upstairs to get high def. IS this true? I guess it makes sense since there is presenly a coaxial coming out of the wall so that doesn't carry a high def signal.
Correct, if you want to use the coax and the raw sat signal. You could run hdmi/component from the first receiver to that tv, but you would see the same thing on both tvs. Just use the uhf remote to control the receiver. If you want two separate HDTV setups, you will need another receiver. Many are waiting for the day Dish makes tv2 HD also.

If you want independent HDTV upstairs, yes, you need an HD receiver (not necessarily a DVR).

Second HDTV Hookup

You can use a component connection to connect TV2 if you are currently using the HDMI for TV1(or vice versa). These two connections may be used concurrently, however the TV2 will mirror what is on TV1. The only problem would be the physical difficulty of running the cabling.
I'm presently using such a setup, and it works fine.

Many are waiting for the day Dish makes tv2 HD

But if i switch to tv1 or tv2 on the dowstairs HDTV set, they both come in in high def format.

Many are waiting for the day Dish makes tv2 HD

But if i switch to tv1 or tv2 on the dowstairs HDTV set, they both come in in high def format.

Well, the TV2 *output* on the DVR is SD only. But the DVR allows you to view both tuner 1 and tuner 2 via the TV1 output in HD.

My setup:

I have the HDMI output (TV1) running to the TV in the master bedroom. It's was easier to run HDMI to the bedroom (1 cable) instead of 5 cables needed for component. This was a 50ft cable BTW.

The component for TV1 runs to the TV in the living room. Both TV's are getting HD from the receiver. Now I also have a S-Video (TV2) cable running to the TV in the living room. If we need to watch seperate programming on the both of the TV's at the same time, I switch the receiver to dual mode and switch the TV input in the living room to S-video. The picture is pretty crappy, but usually the kid's are watching it when it happens.

I don't remember how I did it, but I have two UHF remotes controlling the receiver, even when it is in dual mode. There's a thread on here telling you how to do that.

do they have deals to get a second HD DVR? Can you lease it or do you have to buy it outright?

do they have deals to get a second HD DVR? Can you lease it or do you have to buy it outright?
You should be able to Dish It Up for $75.00 if it has been a year since you upgraded and are in good standing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)