Heat output, VIP 622 vs Hopper3 with Joey wireless booster

judyintexas

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
I am moving from a VIP622 plus a 322 to a Hopper3 with one wired Joey and one wireless.

Recently I moved the 622 out of the media cabinet and set it on top, since it runs so hot in there that it would occasionally shut down. I would appreciate some information on whether to plan to put the new system in the cabinet. I have two questions.

First, does the Hopper3 plus the device that communicates with the wireless Joey put out significantly less heat than the 622? If not, then the Hopper 3 should go on top, or we should do something about the door. There are really no easy (and attractive) answers to the cabinet or we would have done it before.

Second, would being in the wood cabinet be expected to be an issue for the device that communicates with the wireless Joey? If the Hopper would be o.k. in the cabinet but not the communication device, I'll need to drill a hole for the connectors, but I would want to do that before the installer comes.

Thank you so much for your help. I will have more questions soon about just what to order from Dish.

Depending on the distance to the WiFi Joey, enclosing the access point or the Joey could result in a poor connection

Reactions: JSheridan
I've had a fan sucking hot air out of my main receiver ever since I got a VIP622 way back, but you can't beat a Joey for keeping the house warm.

Reactions: littlecloud319
I use a laptop fan for both Hooper WS's and even for one TiVo Roamio, and they work GREAT. No muss no fuss no building anything. You can get a simple inexpensive--but reliable--USB powered laptop fan (priced around $20) flat enough for the DVR to lay upon. Plug the USB into one of the DVR's USB slots and the fan blow underneath. Dish boxes also need space UNDER the box for good airflow, but they often don't get good flow.

Dish has taken away the temp reading, so there is no way to see the actural temp difference. I can tell you that my laptop fans reduced HWS temps down to 115--a very cool temp for HWS--and resulted in the fan no longer running high and making noise. I think my HWS was getting up to 135 top 140, and it was flaky at that temp.

Similar results with a TiVo Roamio which has the WORST cooling desing of any TiVo EVER! (not the Roamio Pro or Plus, just the base Roamio model; Pro and Plus have good cooling with better design and fan) The TiVo would also run its rinkly dinky fan at noisy high speed and was at too high a temp until I put a laptop fan under it, and no more noise and temp was greatly reduced. Some on TCF actually pay for a new fan plus shipping that can cost MORE than the simple laptop fan, and they have to unplug the TiVo, take the old fan out, and put the new fan in, and all that takes time, effort, and extra money.

You can take any solution you wish, but I thought you might like the no fuss, no muss, no effort, quick and cheap laptop fan option.

I use a laptop fan for both Hooper WS's and even for one TiVo Roamio, and they work GREAT. No muss no fuss no building anything. You can get a simple inexpensive--but reliable--USB powered laptop fan (priced around $20) flat enough for the DVR to lay upon. Plug the USB into one of the DVR's USB slots and the fan blow underneath. Dish boxes also need space UNDER the box for good airflow, but they often don't get good flow.

Dish has taken away the temp reading, so there is no way to see the actural temp difference. I can tell you that my laptop fans reduced HWS temps down to 115--a very cool temp for HWS--and resulted in the fan no longer running high and making noise. I think my HWS was getting up to 135 top 140, and it was flaky at that temp.

Similar results with a TiVo Roamio which has the WORST cooling desing of any TiVo EVER! (not the Roamio Pro or Plus, just the base Roamio model; Pro and Plus have good cooling with better design and fan) The TiVo would also run its rinkly dinky fan at noisy high speed and was at too high a temp until I put a laptop fan under it, and no more noise and temp was greatly reduced. Some on TCF actually pay for a new fan plus shipping that can cost MORE than the simple laptop fan, and they have to unplug the TiVo, take the old fan out, and put the new fan in, and all that takes time, effort, and extra money.

You can take any solution you wish, but I thought you might like the no fuss, no muss, no effort, quick and cheap laptop fan option.

I just put a couple old movie cases underneath on each side to aloe not airflow underneath and have it placed by itself. Since doing that it no longer overheats and goes wonky. A laptop fan is a good idea but if you can keep it well ventilated it will be fine on its own. Dish has already said they don’t recommend putting it in tight spaces or close to other equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)