Help Dirt team on cancelling DISH

Interested

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
St Louis MO
I have been with dish for around 10 years and I cancelled my subscription because I got a better deal from Uverse and they have AMC. When I talked to customer service they told me to send my 2 receivers back and there would be a $17.00 per receiver fee that I would have to pay, I told the CSR that since I have been a customer for so long and have not used any of their special deals that they should not charge me for returning their receivers the CSR told me that I would not be charged to send back my receivers. I just got an email today see below:

Return Authorization Number: 67724602

Dear XXX,

You have recently cancelled your DISH subscription.

Per your agreement, you are responsible for returning your equipment. For your convenience we will send you empty boxes and shipping labels. Please return your equipment in the bo:mad:es) provided. Should you also choose to use the labels we provide, a $17 per label box return fee will be charged to your account. We have worked hard to negotiate the best rate and have found that, in most cases, this fee is significantly lower than the rates you will find with UPS, FedEx or US Postal Service. You are not obligated to use the provided shipping labels in the event that you find a better rate elsewhere.

Please review the information below to determine what equipment to return.

Equipment Model* CAID* Ownership Return?
RECEIVER
RECEIVER DishPro 522
ViP622 R0068633462
R0078453392 LEASED
LEASED Yes
Yes

* This information can be found on the label located on the back or bottom of your unit

Do not attempt to sell any equipment that does not need to be returned. This equipment is tied to your DISH account and cannot be transferred to another DISH customer.

Thank you,

DISH

I keep getting email from Dish wanting me to sign back up because I am such a great customer, if that is so why do they want to charge me to send back my receivers? I would appreciate any help I can get from the DIRT Team. I would call CSR again from Dish but they didn't do what they were supposed to do.

Thanks

Paying for returned equipment as a result of cancellation of the account has been in effect for over a year. How much money is DISH going to make from you as a former customer maybe you payed them for the last 10 years but that money has been used to pay their bills. If you check shipping rates you will find DISH is not making a profit on the return labels, by the time you add in shipping, insurance and tracking you probably can't do it for less. Remember you are the one who quit.

Paying for returned equipment as a result of cancellation of the account has been in effect for over a year. How much money is DISH going to make from you as a former customer maybe you payed them for the last 10 years but that money has been used to pay their bills. If you check shipping rates you will find DISH is not making a profit on the return labels, by the time you add in shipping, insurance and tracking you probably can't do it for less. Remember you are the one who quit.
An argument could be made that long-time customers could be a in a different boat. I can see Dish not wanting to pay for shipping for a person surfing from provider to provider every two years, but having established a long time with the company, it could be seen as a courtesy.

The OP spoke with a CSR rather than going through DIRT or chat. DIRT and chat provide a written record phone calls don't.
We have seen this here many times CSR tells caller x during a call but caller has no proof. Moral is go through DIRT or use chat.
Now as to the return fee. Last time i had cable i had to take the boxes back to the cable office. Taking into consideration the value of my time, gasoline and wear and tear on my vehicle $17.00 isn't out of line to send back a receiver provided you don't have to go out of your way to drop it off at a UPS shipper.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

The OP spoke with a CSR rather than going through DIRT or chat. DIRT and chat provide a written record phone calls don't.
We have seen this here many times CSR tells caller x during a call but caller has no proof. Moral is go through DIRT or use chat.
Now as to the return fee. Last time i had cable i had to take the boxes back to the cable office. Taking into consideration the value of my time, gasoline and wear and tear on my vehicle $17.00 isn't out of line to send back a receiver.

Ross

But in this case maybe $34 is.... ;)

Bobby said:
But in this case maybe $34 is.... ;)

True depends on how you value your time etc. And hind sight is everything, but can't you send back all but one box, before terminating, on DISH's dime? Might take a little planning but.....
I do agree that there should be some consideration for long time customers (5+ years), vs those that switch everything 2 years hopping to save a dime.

Ross

Claude Greiner said:
Its actually $17 per label, not per receiver.

I would get a big box and only use 1 label

Now that i think about it the box they sent when we dropped our second box was set up for 2 receivers.....

Ross

They are not charging you to cancel the account, they are just telling you you need to send back the boxes and they have negotiated a rate of $17 with UPS for delivery of the boxes. They say right in their email that IF you find someplace cheaper you can use them!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)