Help - Dish says they never got my returned 625!

shappy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Back in September I upgraded my service from a 625 to a 722. I sent back my 625 a week later using the UPS shipping label that they included with the return box.

Today I got another return box from UPS, which prompted me to call E* to find out what was going on. Apparently they never received the 625 I sent.

The big problem is that I don't have the tracking number anymore, since this was two months ago. I realize that it is my fault for not confirming delivery before tossing the number. E* says they don't keep a record of tracking numbered return labels they send out and UPS says that without a tracking number, there is no way to figure out what happened to the package.

I am not relishing the idea of having to pay $300 for a DVR that I sent back already. Can anyone think of any alternatives I might have? Of course I am under contract, so I can't threaten to leave, and frankly, I don't want to.

Any advice would be appreciated (oh, and so will sympathy).

You can track by reference number. Go to this link and fill in the fields and see what you get.

UPS: Tracking Information

For the refernece number, I would look at the label they just sent you to see what they usually put in there. Maybe you can figure out what was on your old one that way. Get the shipper number off the label they sent you too. It should be something like 1Z123456xxxxxxxxxxx. The shipper number would start at position 3 and be 6 characters long.

Good luck

I did call CS and got bumped up to their "Executive Resolution Team". I spoke with two people there and they said they are going to check on some things on their end to see if they can find any information.

Back in September I upgraded my service from a 625 to a 722. I sent back my 625 a week later using the UPS shipping label that they included with the return box.

Today I got another return box from UPS, which prompted me to call E* to find out what was going on. Apparently they never received the 625 I sent.

The big problem is that I don't have the tracking number anymore, since this was two months ago. I realize that it is my fault for not confirming delivery before tossing the number. E* says they don't keep a record of tracking numbered return labels they send out and UPS says that without a tracking number, there is no way to figure out what happened to the package.

I am not relishing the idea of having to pay $300 for a DVR that I sent back already. Can anyone think of any alternatives I might have? Of course I am under contract, so I can't threaten to leave, and frankly, I don't want to.

Any advice would be appreciated (oh, and so will sympathy).
UPS has a record of the tracking number. Essentially the loss is on UPS. As long as a driver picked up the package he must scan the package onto his package car. This starts a chain of custody. I would make inquiries to UPS and ask them to research the transaction. It s thier responsibility to account for the shipment.
Now, I hope you realize this. NEVER THROW AWAY ANY KIND OF RECORDS.
I keep everything of import until enough time has elapsed. A minimum of a year.
If you shipped the package UPS ,Dish cannot hold you finaciallyu liable for the equipment. You'll have to get proof of the change of hands from you to UPS. Once you have that proof, you are in the clear.

And that is the problem. I dropped the box off at an authorized UPS shipper and since the shipping label was an ARS (Authorized Return Service), it required no immediate scan.

Since I didn't keep the tracking number long enough (which is on me), I have no proof that it was ever shipped.

I spoke at length with UPS and they indicated that without a tracking number or an exact date of shipment (which I can't remember from two months ago), there is no way to track the package.

However, they did tell me (contrary to what I was told by Dish) that Dish should have a record of the tracking number that was on the return label they sent out. I am waiting to hear back from someone from Executive Resolution to see if they were able to come up with anything.

I am not expecting any real answers until after the holiday. I'll keep everyone posted in this thread. I only hope this doesn't turn into a $300 lesson in keeping tracking numbers.

Why would Dish Network wait two months before sending boxes out again saying that they never got them that long ago? Also isn't there a deadline on when you can make a claim on a package? Wouldn't that be Dish Network's fault for not making a claim or inquiring about the package beforehand? It should not be the customer's responsibility once it leaves their hands and the customer should not have to babysit the package and call Dish Network again to make sure they got it. I guess that is why one should track the package to make sure it has reached its destination. If you dropped it off at an authorized UPS shipper and someone stole it then the responsibility can be on you as a result. Dish Network should have kept the tracking number themselves too.

You might want to contact the Authorized returns center and UPS, they have alot more information about what they picked up and where then you may think!

I once had accidently received a receiver that was susposed to be sent to my competition down the street. It was correctly addressed, but since the box said "DISH" on it and I had a large shippment that day it was accidently scanned and dropped off at my location.

2 months go by, and I get a call from UPS asking about the package because the other dealer called to complain he never got it and it showed delivered.

They knew by the scans that it was delivered incorrectly to my location.

As a resolution, they sent out a driver out to pick it up to re-deliver it to the correct person.

It was just too bad that the receiver didn't work when the other dealer finally got it ;)

And that is the problem. I dropped the box off at an authorized UPS shipper and since the shipping label was an ARS (Authorized Return Service), it required no immediate scan.

Since I didn't keep the tracking number long enough (which is on me), I have no proof that it was ever shipped.

I spoke at length with UPS and they indicated that without a tracking number or an exact date of shipment (which I can't remember from two months ago), there is no way to track the package.

However, they did tell me (contrary to what I was told by Dish) that Dish should have a record of the tracking number that was on the return label they sent out. I am waiting to hear back from someone from Executive Resolution to see if they were able to come up with anything.

I am not expecting any real answers until after the holiday. I'll keep everyone posted in this thread. I only hope this doesn't turn into a $300 lesson in keeping tracking numbers.
Do no tpay the $300 ...YOu aon't owe the money. And the person at UPS is trying to skate on this. Contact UPS corporate HQ. It is not your faul tthat UPS screwed up Theyare tryin got put this on you by telling you that there's no record of the shipment. That's Bullsh!t. UPS keeps records of every package they ship. Their reputation for reliability rides on them being responsible for other people's proerty once that customer puts their property into the hand saof UPS. Don't meeekly go inot the night. Fight for what is right. I would leave no stone unturned on this If I were you. I would go back to that place where you lef that box to ship and let them know if they didnp;t come up wiht a shipping recoed that I would make them my personal cause. Threaten them with the BBB and the local media. Dont pay that money.

You can also call UPS and have them search by the date and your name/address/zip.

Idiot management at UPS began forbidding this type of searching several years ago. I work at a center that takes calls for UPS...though I'm not in tracking, I do remember the memo and have seen the procedure in our call flow guide. The tracking reps have a canned apology response that they're supposed to read back to a customer that doesn't have a tracking number.

If Dish was any type of decent company, though, they would issue at least a one time credit to a customer in a predicament like this.

Stay on Dish. They should still have a record of the tracking number from the label they sent. If they don't then it's still on them to prove it didn't get delivered. If you did send it, then they also would have been invoiced by UPS for the shipment.

Idiot management at UPS began forbidding this type of searching several years ago. I work at a center that takes calls for UPS...though I'm not in tracking, I do remember the memo and have seen the procedure in our call flow guide. The tracking reps have a canned apology response that they're supposed to read back to a customer that doesn't have a tracking number.

If Dish was any type of decent company, though, they would issue at least a one time credit to a customer in a predicament like this.
I have never had a problem getting a tracking number from UPS. But if what you say is ture I will no longer be conducting busness with UPS.

What you would want to do is call Dish and talk with a Supervisor They can email the Ra resolutions team which with just the day your shipped it and the receiver number can locate the box it maye take a few days but it will resolve the issues.

When I used to UPS stuff, I used Office Depot and a little mom n pop pharmacy. Both places made me log the item in on a sheet with lots of other people. They do this to protect themselves from stuff coming up missing.

A company I worked for screwed me like this. Instead of calling to inquire about the missing equipment, they just stole money from my check. Wrong answer. I had signed reciepts from the manager that he recieved that equipment. Then they tried to put me on a guilt trip because he was gonna have to pay for it (better him than me, especially when I handed it to his fat ass), and when that failed, they sat on my money for 90 days. I will never ever be involved in any way, shape, form, or fashion with E* or their crappy contractors again. Stealing is part of their corporate culture. They rip their customers AND their employees off on a daily basis.

I have never had a problem getting a tracking number from UPS. But if what you say is ture I will no longer be conducting busness with UPS.

What I said is very true. I work for APAC, an outsource company that handles calls for UPS. Shortly after I came to work there in 2002, a memo was distributed about a change in policy for tracking agents...they were no longer to look up tracking info on a package unless the customer calling could actually provide the tracking number...this is just one of the reasons that I don't ever want to work as a tracking agent at APAC.

The rule is still in effect, and does appear in the call flow guides that are on the desk of each rep...though there's little doubt in my mind that the rule is probably bent on a daily basis.

That guideline would have made my former job a lot harder--working as a customer service rep for a catalog mail order company. On more than one occasion, I used to call UPS to try and see if they could track a package for which a tracking number was not yet available in our computer database--and the UPS agents at the time could indeed look up info simply based upon addresses.

Last edited:
Go to Dish's website and see if a picture of the reciever you sent back shows up on your acct

If the picture is not there then they have received it. I have 3 receivers, and sent back 2 to the warehouse in El Paso, one was signed by a person, and scanned, and the second receiver was just dropped off, no one signed for it, but it was scanned and received. Now when I go to my acct on Dish network it just shows a picture of my 622, the other 2 receivers have been removed.

Bill

What I said is very true. I work for APAC, an outsource company that handles calls for UPS. Shortly after I came to work there in 2002, a memo was distributed about a change in policy for tracking agents...they were no longer to look up tracking info on a package unless the customer calling could actually provide the tracking number...this is just one of the reasons that I don't ever want to work as a tracking agent at APAC.

That's for security purposes. UPS (and other carriers) had a problem with people calling in to get tracking information on other people's packages based on just an address, then they call the local hub with the tracking # and tell them to hold it there for pickup. They show up and get whatever nice new item (usually electronics) that somebody else bought and paid for.

Do no tpay the $300 ...YOu aon't owe the money. And the person at UPS is trying to skate on this. Contact UPS corporate HQ. It is not your faul tthat UPS screwed up Theyare tryin got put this on you by telling you that there's no record of the shipment. That's Bullsh!t. UPS keeps records of every package they ship. Their reputation for reliability rides on them being responsible for other people's proerty once that customer puts their property into the hand saof UPS. Don't meeekly go inot the night. Fight for what is right. I would leave no stone unturned on this If I were you. I would go back to that place where you lef that box to ship and let them know if they didnp;t come up wiht a shipping recoed that I would make them my personal cause. Threaten them with the BBB and the local media. Dont pay that money.

Do not go quietly into the night? What's that from.... I remember! Independance Day the movie! The one with the cheezy aliens...

Let's dispel some rumors. First, DISH uses SEVERAL batches of what have already been established as ARS labels. If the customer doesn't know where the label was originally sent from, the prefix (reference number) can't be determined. The number determined where it came from, and where it's going when used. Quite literally tens of thousands of labels are issued each day.

Next myth... DISH does keep tracking numbers on file that are sent with replacements, ON RA'S ONLY! (This would be Claude's scenario.) Empty box labels aren't tracked, despite popular belief. Why? Because they're empty boxes, and customers are expected to keep track of what they're financially liable for. The majority of empty boxes aren't used or are destroyed in transit. DISH doesn't and couldn't track all of the paper numbers that are issued but never used (used ones are traceable.)

Next... DISH absolutely can hold him financially liable. And will. Don't believe me, test it.

As far as UPS keeping track, ARS labels are explicitly created to return items free of charge from customers to DISH. There are no "records" because in order for the system to work the labels must default to a DISH location and account. Essentially, what's in the box has no relation to the label. The UPS chain of custody argument...yeah, you try that. You'll get far. He's right in that no scan is required with ARS labels. If UPS says they don't have it, you're hosed with them. ARS labels aren't conventional tracking numbers (that's right Dishcomm...) There are no records, it's a glorified one-way sticker, kind of like the year sticker by itself on your license plate. If lost or misplaced, everyone knows the sticker belongs to the DMV, but noone will know it also belongs to you.

BBB and local media doesn't scare multi-billion dollar companies children. The options he'll get are simple. Supply a tracking number that can be verified as delivered, or pay up. Don't pay, and by the time he files for arbitration (nifty contract disclosure, read it sometime,) his credit will be put through the shredder. Again, don't believe me, try it.

Bill is correct about the receiver listings in the My Account details. But if it's removed from there, you don't even need to bother calling, you won't get charged as it's already in the system.

I'll never understand why people think they can not keep records and hold others liable for their errors... But then with some of these posts... it shouldn't surprise me. As for WH5916, DISH doesn't issue "one-time credits" because each instance related to shipping, is in the hundreds of dollars, not pocket change. How many companies do you know that say "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Here, let me eat $500.00 because you didn't write it down." AT&T...maybe. But even then not all the time.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)