help getting into a retail business

my_woo

Original poster
May 10, 2010
colorado
hey guys i was wondering if you can help me out. i am sbca certified and was wanting to start a retail business for dish network. the only thing is i dont know where to start. any information on how to get this off the ground would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Run to the bank take all of your money out and send it directly to Charlie then go get a real job. You'll save the chargebacks and dirty deals.

Me and my wife operate a retailership and do our own installs and tech work. We have enjoyed it, but there are lots of rules and policies that you have to know, understand and agree to. To get started go here:
https://retailer.dishnetwork.com/prmportal/start.swe?SWECmd=Start
...and click where it says "Become a DISH Network Retailer."
Lots of paperwork involved, too.
As long as you know what you are getting into and understand the rules and policies, it's okay.
As I said, we have been doing it for about 5 years and we do not regret it one bit.

E mail claude Metro25@dishretailer.com for access to the dealer board.

I was a dealer once.

The trouble is you do a PERFECT install, someone dies or gets divorced.

The sub cancels and you get chargebacked the money debited right out of your checking account. ZAP POOF $$ GONE

Been doing this for 5 years, and our relationship with DISH has been pretty good.
There are only 2 of us, my wife and I. We have no subs or other employees. I had prior experience as a tech. We set up accounts for folks and install them. We do only the DHA24 (24 month agreement.) We have an extremely low account cancel rate (called "churn.") If someone doesn't pass the credit check that is required for the DHA24, we refer them to the 800 number to sign up under another promotion. A poor credit rating can (not always...but can be) an indicator of someone who is a risk...may not pay their bills....handles their money poorly. We let DISH corp itself take care of those folks. Our churn rate is below 1%.
We don't BS our customers. We are upfront with them about everything...we explain all the fine details. They know exatcly what they are getting before they sign anything. We don't make deals or promises we can't keep. Before we even sign them up they sign a "customer affirmation sheet" which indicates that everything has been explained to them and they understand and agree with it. This sheet explains in plain English many of the details of the "fine print" in the agreement before they even see the agreement. We keep this form in file in case someone ever says "You didn't tell me that." We whip out the form..."Remember this? Is that your signature?"
"Uhhhhh, yeah...I guess you did."
Eliminating high risk customers and eliminating incorrect expectations from the customer is key.
This tactic, combined with the fact that we do all we can to respond personally to the needs of our customers has, I think, really helped reduce chargebacks.
People like a familair face, and being able to call a local person for help rather than someone on the 800 number with a strange accent.
Also key is understanding and abiding by the policies and business rules in your business agreement/contract with DISH/Echostar...entering correct information...submitting paper work properly.
Have there been frustrations? Sure...any business venture will have them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts