Help! Hopper 3 Installed Today Bad Picture Quality

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

WillyD

Original poster
Mar 13, 2016
Jefferson County TN
Just had a Hopper 3 installed today and I'm bummed out. The picture quality is not good at all. The sharpness is bad and everything looks grainy unless it is a close up shot. Basketball looks bad from the normal camera angle. I just bought a Sony Bravia 55" 4K TV that looked amazing with my older Hopper. The tech set the TV setting to 4K/1080P/1080i and made sure the screen was formatted correctly. He said he thought dish may need to separate 4K from the 1080 selection because it may be trying to upscale the 1080i to 4K? He said to call in and talk to technical support because everything was setup right. Any ideas? If I can't get anything to change I will be switching back to a normal Hopper

Just had a Hopper 3 installed today and I'm bummed out. The picture quality is not good at all. The sharpness is bad and everything looks grainy unless it is a close up shot. Basketball looks bad from the normal camera angle. I just bought a Sony Bravia 55" 4K TV that looked amazing with my older Hopper. The tech set the TV setting to 4K/1080P/1080i and made sure the screen was formatted correctly. He said he thought dish may need to separate 4K from the 1080 selection because it may be trying to upscale the 1080i to 4K? He said to call in and talk to technical support because everything was setup right. Any ideas? If I can't get anything to change I will be switching back to a normal Hopper

I've got a Hopper 3 on a 55in SONY 4K TV and it looks fantastic. Crystal clear, sharp and beautiful in 1080 and 4K. The picture is much, much better than with the old Hoppers.

How did you find this site? (Just curious) Can you post a picture of your Hopper 3 and a picture of the screen with a bad picture? Why did you let the technician leave when the picture is so bad?

Take some time and read the posts here, I would suggest doing nothing till at least tomorrow. It takes at least that long for the Hopper to get all the settings correct. Some things may take longer.

After that if still not a good picture, go back and change the resolution settings on the Hopper to the lowest, and reset the Hopper. Then change them back. On the older receivers sometimes you had toggle those settings to get the correct resolution.

Reactions: JSheridan
There are at least one or two threads on the subject here, though not having a 4k have not paid much attention. I believe it may have to do with a setting on your TV if it is a 4K.

I don't have a 4K TV but my installer told me if I got a 4K TV I had to use a different HDMI cable than the one that came with the H3. I don't know if it would make a difference or not.

I don't have a 4K TV but my installer told me if I got a 4K TV I had to use a different HDMI cable than the one that came with the H3. I don't know if it would make a difference or not.
It DOES NOT. He was just trying to sell you something you do not need.

Reactions: JSheridan

The HDMI cables that come with the Hoppers work great on 4K TV's and look great playing 4K pictures. DISH techs have to sell extras like HDMI cables, surge suppressors and sound bars to keep thier jobs.

How did you find this site? (Just curious) Can you post a picture of your Hopper 3 and a picture of the screen with a bad picture? Why did you let the technician leave when the picture is so bad?

Take some time and read the posts here, I would suggest doing nothing till at least tomorrow. It takes at least that long for the Hopper to get all the settings correct. Some things may take longer.

After that if still not a good picture, go back and change the resolution settings on the Hopper to the lowest, and reset the Hopper. Then change them back. On the older receivers sometimes you had toggle those settings to get the correct resolution.
Found the site when I googled Hopper 3 bad picture quality and a thread popped up similar to my question. I can post a picture later tonight. The technicians agreed with me that the picture was sub par but didn't really have an answer why. They checked all the settings on the Hopper 3 and the TV and everything looked right to them. I wasn't happy but they said I had 30 days to switch it back to the original Hopper if I wanted to. They told me to call tech support and ask if there was going to be a software update that would separate 4K and 1080P on the Hopper 3 Quality. That was their only guess as to why there was a problem. I can watch a 4K or 1080P video on youtube or Dish on Demand and it looks superb but HD straight off the HOPPER 3 doesn't. I'll give it a few days and see what happens.

What does the TV report the resolution is when watching a channel on the Hopper? Try what I suggested about toggling the resolution on the Hopper. There have been a few perplexing reports of this problem but nothing approaching being widespread.

What does the TV report the resolution is when watching a channel on the Hopper? Try what I suggested about toggling the resolution on the Hopper. There have been a few perplexing reports of this problem but nothing approaching being widespread.
How do I tell what the resolution is? Just got home and the picture seems to have gotten better.

Depends on the TV, using the TV remote sometimes clicking info, or change from that input to another, then change back, for a few seconds the resolution should show.

I've been looking to upgrade to a 4K TV since I installed my Hopper 3. I have all Sony equipment and would like to stay with Sony. From what I've read though some Sony TVs have difficulty up-converting 1080P and I to 4K. Even Consumer Reports doesn't rate the Sony TVs very good in the up-converting, only Fair in their product ratings.

So that's why I'm waiting to buy a 4K TV. So your problem may not be your Hopper 3 but may be your TV. The couple of reviews were on the Best Buy site and like I said on Consumer Reports site.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts