Help... How Many Wires Do I Need?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I am getting ready for my new C/KU Band Dish from Sadoun and am starting to wire.

The question is how many wires do I need going to the Dish? The Dish will have an actuator which will be powered and moved by the GBOX (VBOX).

1) How many RG6's do I need going to the Dish? I am thinking only one but will wire two out there for experimentation. :)

2) How many cables do I need for the GBOX? From what I am seeing it looks like 4. 14 gauge for the power and 18 gauge for the sensor.

3) Does the cable for the sensor need to be sheilded or will good quality speaker cable do?

Thanks for your help! :)

Scott,

I have two Rg6's one for Cband going to that dish, and one to the Ku dish.. They combine into one cable via the encoda 22khz swich.

I have a 3rd cable, (sprinkler wire) wich drives my actuator. The sprinker wire actually has like 6 wires in it.

That's what im using for my setup.

My cable for the sensor is not shielded...

Would this wire be good?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-5-Conductor-100-Foot-Wire-57093/dp/B00004S1V0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1244936023&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Orbit 5-Conductor by 100-Foot UF/UL Wire #57093: Home?@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41T1ajS3OJL.@@AMEPARAM@@41T1ajS3OJL[/ame]

IMO:

I think it's too expensive.
And, it doesn't say what gauge wire it uses.

Let's get input from others and see their opinion. $40 for 100 feet... :eek:

This site shows the wires and their uses.
It's always wise to have a few spare coax if you have the time, money, and room (in your conduit)
But two would be a minimum. Three would be better.

Sounds like you are not going to use a servo-controlled feedhorn, so those wires aren't necessary.
That's okay, I have no intention of ever using one, either. ;)
There are other ways to skin the cat.

Especially when you are digging and laying wire it's much easier to put an extra cable or two at the start of things. I have 3 going out to my FTA pole and times I wish I had 4.

Especially when you are digging and laying wire it's much easier to put an extra cable or two at the start of things. I have 3 going out to my FTA pole and times I wish I had 4.

Or lay some PVC conduit (much bigger than you think you will need) that will allow you to pull and replace any time you want. I put in 2" to one dish for a motor and four coax lines, and will be more than double that, soon.

I got spinkler cable from Home Depot which should do the job nicely.

I went out and trenched and laid the wire to where the dish is going to be yesterday. Now all I need is the dish.

Sadouns just called and told me my 180 Meter Dish is now on backorder for two months.

Anyone know of someplace else that has C Band polar mounted Dishes that are not too expensive?

I would think on any dish, from any company, shipping might be a killer. anyway:
Skyvision has a 6' polar mount for $517
Sami has a 6' polar with (small) actuator for $524
I don't think Patriot makes a dish that small. Their website shows 3.1m as the smallest prime focus dish they have.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)