Help in obtaining local HDTV

cableghost

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 29, 2005
I want the ability to pickup local HDTV content...here's what I have:

Samsung HD-ready TV
Dish Network basic package (no HD Tuner, just standard dual tuner)
Antenna in attic

In order to get HD from Dish Network, I would need to pay extra for their HD Tuner and pay for their HD service I would rather not). Is there a way to add-in/integrate a HD Tuner to my existing setup? I heard someone mention Media box or something like that.

Thanks, Scott.

cableghost said:
I want the ability to pickup local HDTV content...here's what I have:

Samsung HD-ready TV
Dish Network basic package (no HD Tuner, just standard dual tuner)
Antenna in attic

In order to get HD from Dish Network, I would need to pay extra for their HD Tuner and pay for their HD service I would rather not). Is there a way to add-in/integrate a HD Tuner to my existing setup? I heard someone mention Media box or something like that.

Thanks, Scott.

You're statement is a bit misleading. First, you say you just want to pick up local HDTV content. Then, you say that you want to get HD from DISH Network. Which is it? Do you want your local stations in HD? The HD Pak? Both?

If your TV is HD ready, it already has an HD tuner in it. Just hook up an antenna and away you go.

You are going to want to check your area for what DTV channels are around you and what type of antenna you might need.

http://www.antennaweb.org

Antenna's are rated by color code and that page lists stations by color code for the type of antenna typcially needed to pull them in. If also gives you general direction to the transmitters from your location.

ktriebol said:
If your TV is HD ready, it already has an HD tuner in it. Just hook up an antenna and away you go.
HD ready most always means its an HD monitor (no ATSC tuner built in).

Thanks for the input...my TV does not presently have the ability to present HD TV...I need a tuner, etc.

It appears that all I need is an OAT (off-air tuner) and connect it to my TV and it's my understanding that then I can program my Dish Network system to pick up and display those channels, such as 8.1, etc.

Please confirm, correct my above statement, thanks!

Okay, but how do I integrate it into my existing system?

Can I have it where I use my Dish Network remote as usual and pick up the HD signals through the set top box or will I need to use the remote for the set top box directly each time to get the hd signals?

If my equipment was the following, how would/should I connect them:

HD-ready TV
Dual Standard Tuner from Dish Network
Dish
HDTV set top box
HD reception-capable antenna

I don't know of any way to integrate an OTA set-top box into your E* system. What you will have is a separate HD input into your TV (either component video, DVI, or HDMI cables) and separate sound input (either digital or analog) into your TV or audio system. Your E* box (322?) is currently cabled to your TV with either S-video or composite video, right? You will have to control the OTA STB with it's own remote, or buy a universal remote to control everything. Hope this helps.

Brad

I don't think you can easily integrate them without an HD tuner from Dish.

If you are ready to pay for a standalone OTA tuner why not get an HD tuner from Dish capable of HD OTA as well?

You have made an investment in HD-ready TV set, why not spend another 9.99/month to actualy make it show HD? You won't regret it, trust me! ;)

If i'm getting the 942 tuner and hd package do i need atenna to get my hd locals or will the dish do that for me?

smwien said:
If i'm getting the 942 tuner and hd package do i need antenna to get my hd locals or will the dish do that for me?

You will need a UHF antenna for most digital locals. You can talk to the installer about integrating a local antenna into your system, you probably have to provide it yourself. Usually the Dish installer will setup your Receivers, and Sat Dishes.

Actually may need a vhf/uhf combo cause if your area is like mine, I have 3 stations doing digital in the vhf range. Check your area on antennaweb and see what channel the digital broadcast is on which is not the same as the analog in most cases I have seen. (in my area, for example, channel 3 is on channel 2 digital and channel 41 is on channel 20 digital).

If you have any channels below 14, they are vhf and you will need a vhf capably antenna to pick them up.
http://www.csgnetwork.com/tvfreqtable.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)