Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
After doing some moving around and consolidating dishes & LNB's, I have an extra 30" dish that is itching to stay out in the elements :)

So I'm trying to figure out what satellite to aim it at. Now I already have a motorized that can see from 58-140 and a fixed 36" dish at G10. I really don't want to put a fixed at T5 mainly because I don't speak any of the foreign languages.

So which satellite should I aim at? Help a brother out :D

With the large amount of feeds on Ia8, that may be a good idea. It seems to be a growing bird, with some ABC stuff on there now and all.

Otherwise, if you're a big fan of PBS, you'd never have to move your dish around if you moved over to AMC3.

Berg....I don't know. I can get PBS over the air, but if I couldn't, then I'd probably hang out on 87W AMC3, in order to get Montana PBS.

You'd cut down on the number of dish moves most by picking the sat you watch most (other than G10)? Or, you might pick a sat that you sometimes watch that is on the either extreme of the arc. That would cut out one "long move".

But heck, I ain't telling you anything you don't already know, Berg.

You guys might think this is boring. It's completely off the subject, but I'll say it anyway. Have any of you guys ever wondered about MTA on AMC3? Well, I googled it. They are a sect of Islam that started in Pakistan many years ago. They supported the British govenment and, over the years, have come to be viewed by many Islamics as puppets of the West. Laws were passed in Pakistan that bar them from holding public office. Their TV operation is based in England, and many Islamics claim that England is bankrolling the TV operation in order to subvert "true" Islam.

I just thought this was interesting. I'm not promoting MTA, and I'm not critisizing it either.

I have a p* dish point at amc 3 for the PBS feeds, there are still 3 of them there. If your not into pbs, I would have to say IA8.

Originally when I thought of the idea, I thought either SBS6 or IA6 just because of the feeds. I will have at least one receiver (with blind scan) dedicated to the dish (probably two). But IA8 does sound like an idea too

I thought about the satellites and what is on there and I thought originally SBS6, IA8, IA6 or AMC1 (maybe AMC2). I even thought for fun about aiming at Hispasat to see what’s on there (but it mostly looks like Spanish stuff which I do not speak)

AMC2 is such a bugger to get here in MN due to the footprint issue (the footprint barely makes it into MN) so I may not do that. Heck I may even try IA8 & IA6 on one dish (tough but maybe doable)

7720…the G10 dish is actually fixed because I (at one time) was running 3 receivers off of it (one in each bedroom and one in living room). All 3 receivers did not have blind scan so I still used the motorized setup to scan G10. Also one of my motorized setups (I have 2) I had a LOS issue with G10 (the mast I used was too short so when it got past 110 it would hit the roof ).

I do watch Montana PBS for Red Green but PBS really isnt my thing (plus we have 2 of them in Minneapolis)

Got another idea brewing......thank goodness I don't have hair :)

I have a StarChoice dish (37x27) with the quad LNB on it (2 satellites...4 outputs). My package on SC doesnt need the 2nd satellite so I might just put the 30" at 107.3 (AnikF1) and move the quad to cover two satellites...only issue is they are 3.8 degrees apart so one satellite may not be tuned 100%

Doing it this way I could have
AMC5/AMC9 79/83
AMC3/G11 87/91
IA8/IA6 89/93<------thinking of this one
G11/G3 91/95
IA6/IA5 93/97<-------possibility too
IA5/AMC4 97/101

Or just put it as a fixed dish on one satellite....can't remove the LNB as its set up properly (there is no bracket for it..the bracket is built into the LNB.

I vote for 93 degrees (ia6) as besides the feeds you occasionally get a bloomberg
or a cnn FTA ( come and go a lot). During a hurricane a Florida or other southern station will stay up for hours or even days broadcasting during the crisis.

Peter

Iceberg said:
can't remove the LNB as its set up properly (there is no bracket for it..the bracket is built into the LNB.
Seeing some posts of how you have attached secondary LNBF's with hose clamps I'm sure you could get some metal reinforcement pieces from the hardwhare store and fabricate a mount for it. It is a job for the better weather, as it is a lot of trial and error to get it mounted just right. Just make a L shapped length of metal, attach one of the legs of the L to the arm and the other to the LNBF. You just have to make sure you measure or make a template out of cardboard first of where the feedhorn is to be positioned for you get the new LNBF in about the same place. As I said, not a project for the winter, as it it takes some adjustments to get it positioned correctly. Keep it in mind for a summer project.

I decided to move it to SBS6 mainly because when I put the 30" for Anik F1 I hit the SC dish. So I went with SBS6

Aimed it and damn it was a bugger. Finally got it to work with LNB B (the one with the 22k built in) but LNB A was a bugger. Finally got it locked on either LNB but Sat B (the one with the 22k built in) had a better quality (mainly because it is aimed at the sweet spot where the other one is off a little bit

On ONN I got a 75 quality with the 0k one and 89 with the 22k LNB

I did have it at IA8 & IA6 but IA8 signal was a little lower because of being off by .2 degrees

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)