Help me wire my HDTV #2! Experts Needed!

ClevelandRob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 14, 2006
I know there's a LOT of smart people around these parts and wanted some opinions.

I've just purchased my second HDTV (yeah!). It is a 27" for my bedroom where I currently have a coax distribution connection for my old SDTV that I share with my lovely 622. I am dissappointed I can't get any HD to this TV without getting another box. I like only scheduling one DVR as well. I've even contemplated running 75' of component cable!

I've decided that's not a great idea (cost and work required). So I would like to at least watch live HD from my OTA hooked to TV1. I think I have it mostly figured out. Please let me know if I am close or have no idea what I am talking about...

I figure I need to split the OTA signal before it hits my TV1 and combine that signal with the home distribution and then send it out to TV2. Is this correct? Will I be able to watch my OTAs and then tune to 69 or whatever my home distribution is setup at? Is this a conflict between the NTSC and ATSC tuning?

What kinds of OTA splitter and signal combiner do I need and where is the best place to get them?

OR... is there any other way to get TV1 HD output to this TV?

Thanks.

It should work, you just need to make sure the modulated channel you pick is not used for NTSC or ATSC or next to an occupied channel. You can use antennaweb.org to get a list of the real channel numbers used for ATSC.

Thanks. Any idea if i need a specific kind of splitter or combiner and where can I find such a thing? Should i just get these at RadioShack?

Is this a conflict between the NTSC and ATSC tuning?
Hmmmm

I've seen HDTV advertised as; No Tuner, ATSC Tuner, NTSC Tuner, and ATSC/NTSC Tuners. But I don't know how the HDTV with dual tuners function.

Although in the same frequency bands, I thought ATSC tuners could not tune in an NTSC signal, and likewise NTSC tuners could not tune in ATSC signals.

And although the ViP 622 has a ATSC Tuner, the Stereo Agile Modulator only modulates NTSC (Air) Channels 21 - 69, and Cable Channels 73 - 125.

Or does the ViP622 simultaneously Broadcast NTSC and ATSC? Any comments?

Assuming it doesn't, then the OP's new 27" HDTV will also have to have an ATSC tuner; and then, "Will he have to switch back and forth between ATSC & NTSC?"

Just trying to expand my knowledge,
SW
A mind is a terrible thing to waste; and too much knowledge is dangerous!

Excellent point SmityWhity!

Unfortunately I've yet to receive my new HDTV in the mail yet so I can only speculate like you. I think if this DOES work, this is a nice option for anyone who has a second HDTV as it would only require two cheap splitters and two 6" coax cables to combine these signals and share through the home distribution.

I will probably buy the stuff at RadioShack and try it out when I get it and I will let you know what happens. I hope this works for me or I may have a problem with not being able to use both OTA and 622 feed(which would be a major dissappointment!). I might have to make the 75' component cable run!

IIRC, the modulated output of the 622 is strictly NTSC. That output is designed to feed a whole house distribution system and I'm guessing the presumption is that most of the TVs connected to it will be NTSC.

ClevelandRob - if your new TV has both tuners then it will be no problem for you - it will switch automatically. I know my Sony LCD TV does just that. If you have only an ATSC tuner in the new TV, then just connect in an old VCR to use its NTSC tuner and feed that into your composite inputs on the new TV...

I use a reversed two-way splitter to add OTA (ATSC&NTSC) to the amplified 622 output. Use 622 channels 60 and above (or 37, reserved for radio astronomy) or any lower channel in the middle of 3 or more in a row without an OTA signal. I feed the combined signal to a 4-way 10-dB splitter to feed 622, regular TV upstairs, DVD+R, and a remote 921. Another DPP44 output joins the distribution in a combiner+splitter to feed the OTA and separator inputs of the 921 on one cable. That's less than 50' to my den and 100'+ to the 921.
A 10-dB amp + splitter is too weak but the 10-dB amplified splitter is just right, see Radio Shack for one. A 4-way splitter is say 7-dB loss. A 2-way splitter is 3.5 to 4-dB loss.
-Ken
BTW, thanks to Dish for the second separator as the early 921 did not come with one.

Correction: the OTA/local + satellite combining device is a diplexor and has a lower loss than a splitter because it just adds together different frequency bands. -K

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)