HELP! Need good installer in Atlanta!!

kluken

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
OK We have had 2 attempts to get Dish installed and both times Dish sent idiots. There is a Dish 500 on the roof now. The gf was a customer years ago, she wants to come back because her dad is living with her now and she needs the Russian Intl channels. She wants HD as well so I believe this meeans a Dish 1000+ (not sure what all the dish sizes and models are now). First install the tech says no go, wont; do a roof, they arrange to have another installer come back following week to do roof install. OK the following week I speak to the dispatcher to make sure they send a tech that can do roof install. Well they are idiots, they send another tech that says same thing, no dish on roof. They sayy the 1000 will rip the roof off in winds, I laught, I had 11 foot c-band on my roof for years back in the day through nasty wind and snow in NY. We bring out a third party and they say same thing about 1000, but say we can do 2 500 dishes to get 110, 119, 118.7 and 129. I guess if this is possible it will be fine, but how hard is it to get a decent installer in Atlanta? Does anyone know a good installer in ATL? This is Norcross area. Any differences from using a 1000+ vs. 2 500s? Also can anyone explain all the new dish models (1000.2, 1000, 1000+) Are they all the same dish?
One more attempt and 3 strikes and Charlie is OUT I'll move her to Direct.
Thanks!

I tried one retailer already. Also many retailers just retail Dish installers, not their own. Policy not to install on roof is Dishes way fo saying we want your money with no risk on our part. Liek an auto maker saying here is a car, but we won;t give you tires becasue then we'll be liable if you drive it. Not sure baout everywhere else but clearly 80%+ of dish installs I see in Metro ATL are on roofs. If Dish installers can't do decent installs Dish needs to let them go, in the end it may be a hump they need to clear, but they will get good installers. Does DirectV have such a lame policy?

I tried one retailer already. Also many retailers just retail Dish installers, not their own. Policy not to install on roof is Dishes way fo saying we want your money with no risk on our part. Liek an auto maker saying here is a car, but we won;t give you tires becasue then we'll be liable if you drive it. Not sure baout everywhere else but clearly 80%+ of dish installs I see in Metro ATL are on roofs. If Dish installers can't do decent installs Dish needs to let them go, in the end it may be a hump they need to clear, but they will get good installers. Does DirectV have such a lame policy?

A good installer isn't one who does ANYTHING the customer wants against his better judgement.

And, BTW, this sounds like a "directive" that has been handed down by the "higher-ups" in management, likely after too many damage claims. So your stab at individual installers is null and void.

If your "boss-man" tells you not to do something, are you going do it anyway??

Reality check: Both Dish and Direct are in the business of making money. If they feel it is going to cost more to have you than not to have you, they're going to say "sorry, no can do".

Here in Philly if you don't do roof installs you going to be out of business real fast.
Tons of rows homes with the only LOS is from the roof. Never heard of any installers refusing to do a roof install around here, if that's the only way it could get done

Here in Philly if you don't do roof installs you going to be out of business real fast.
Tons of rows homes with the only LOS is from the roof. Never heard of any installers refusing to do a roof install around here, if that's the only way it could get done

The Dish 500 and Dish 1000 are commonly installed on roofs and fascias.

The Dish 500+/1000+ (which is the same dish) is heavier and thus more problematic for roof/ fascia installs.

I'm using a Non Penetrating Roof Mount and held down with a few cinder blocks and my Dish 1000+, made it through some huge wind storms
Where there's a will there's a way ;)

KTI Non-Penetrating Roof Mount

edit to add: I understand why some local retailer want to get away from roof installs. I'm sure more then a few installers have taken a fall off a roof. I bet insurance rates are much lower for businesses that refuse to do roof installs.

I'm using a Non Penetrating Roof Mount and held down with a few cinder blocks and my Dish 1000+, made it through some huge wind storms

How steep is the OP's roof and there ain't a chance in hell the HOA (those commie bastards... no offense intended, LOL) will allow it if they are in play.

Last edited:
kluken,

You can always bite the bullet and do the install yourself....................not that hard.

Purchased all my hardware online and got it done in half a day.

I would if I were not terrifed of being on the roof. I actually did my own DirecTV install in 95 on the facia.

Reality check: Both Dish and Direct are in the business of making money. If they feel it is going to cost more to have you than not to have you, they're going to say "sorry, no can do".

First I give Dish $130 a month so I am a very profitable customer for them, second they are in the Satellite business, not cable they need to do roof installs or they will loose business period. Dish wants the low risk installs and leaves the riskier ones to subs so they don't have to deal with issues. Not a very customer focused approach. This way they can say don't blame us the sub casued the leak. One probelm is the crappy installers they hire, almost anyone can be an installer, just not agood one. The guys that used to mount c-band dishes on roofs never bitched about doing so, they did it becasue it was that or loose the business.

edit to add: I understand why some local retailer want to get away from roof installs. I'm sure more then a few installers have taken a fall off a roof. I bet insurance rates are much lower for businesses that refuse to do roof installs.

Sorry roof is about a 25% or so pitch. The issue is not falling off roof, they don't want to be liable for leaks.

A good installer isn't one who does ANYTHING the customer wants against his better judgement.

And, BTW, this sounds like a "directive" that has been handed down by the "higher-ups" in management, likely after too many damage claims. So your stab at individual installers is null and void.

If your "boss-man" tells you not to do something, are you going do it anyway??

Problem is I escalated to 3 different people in Dish Executive escalations and none of them heard of this rule not to do roof installs. It is liek the right hand (sales and escalations) don't know what the left hand is doing (installers)

Here in NC we can mount the 1000+ on the roof. Granted it is bigger and weighs more, but the mast comes with struts to add support for the dish. I have mounted dozens on roofs and no problems.

First I give Dish $130 a month so I am a very profitable customer for them, second they are in the Satellite business, not cable they need to do roof installs or they will loose business period. Dish wants the low risk installs and leaves the riskier ones to subs so they don't have to deal with issues. Not a very customer focused approach. This way they can say don't blame us the sub casued the leak. One probelm is the crappy installers they hire, almost anyone can be an installer, just not agood one. The guys that used to mount c-band dishes on roofs never bitched about doing so, they did it becasue it was that or loose the business.

Perhaps you're right.

After all, only an idiot would want idiot installers installing a Dish 500+/Dish 1000+ on his roof.

I sure wouldn't want some goofus who can't locate the stud installing ANY Dish on my roof.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)