Help! New Aquos

dgstan

Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
Sorry for the cross-post, but I'm hoping someone here might have some insight.

------

I just purchased a new Sharp Aquos 32" LCD from Costco. I've got a Dish Network 625 feeding the SD signal. Now, I'm not expecting a first-rate picture, but I don't exactly understand what's going on.

When I connect the TV using the coax, the picture is OK. Nothing spectacular, but it's watchable. Using some info I found on other forums, I was able to fine-tune the settings to have a decent picture.

Now the problem: If I connect the TV using the S-Video or composite, the picture is absolutely horrid. No matter how I adjust the settings, the color is washed out and the whites so bright that it bleeds all over the screen. It is unwatchable. I was hoping that S-Video would be an improvement.

Anyone have any suggestions before I take the LCD back?

Thanks,

DGStan

dgstan said:
Sorry for the cross-post, but I'm hoping someone here might have some insight.

------

I just purchased a new Sharp Aquos 32" LCD from Costco. I've got a Dish Network 625 feeding the SD signal. Now, I'm not expecting a first-rate picture, but I don't exactly understand what's going on.

When I connect the TV using the coax, the picture is OK. Nothing spectacular, but it's watchable. Using some info I found on other forums, I was able to fine-tune the settings to have a decent picture.

Now the problem: If I connect the TV using the S-Video or composite, the picture is absolutely horrid. No matter how I adjust the settings, the color is washed out and the whites so bright that it bleeds all over the screen. It is unwatchable. I was hoping that S-Video would be an improvement.

Anyone have any suggestions before I take the LCD back?

Thanks,

DGStan

Did you have the 625 hooked up to a different TV previously (using s-video or composite)...and if so, did it work OK with the other TV? Do you have another receiver that you can try connecting to the Aquos to check picture quality? You might also want to try a different set of cables...but since neither video input seems to work for you, I doubt that is your problem.

Basically speaking, there are three potential sources of trouble...your receiver output, your cables, or your Aquos. Trial and error will determine your next course of action. :)

dgstan said:
Yes, the RCA input looks identical to the S-Video.

Huh? I don't know what S-video jacks you have, but mine look nothing like an RCA jack.

EDIT:

Well wow, I think I read that completely wrong and dgstan was referring PQ. However, I have to say that my s-video PQ is much better than RCA on my two TV's. Then again, I don't have an Aquos. I am kind of surprised it even has RCA inputs.

Stan why are you using the the 625 with your new LCD? I am sure that you have a HD capable tv. Do you have any component or DVI/HDMI inputs on the back of your TV. Is so than i definetely think you should put the 625 on another TV and get a 811 or a 942 is you can afford it and hook that up to your new LCD and i think your picture will impore much more to your likeing using the best connections such as Component or DVI/HDMI...

SatinKzo said:
Huh? I don't know what S-video jacks you have, but mine look nothing like an RCA jack.

EDIT:

Well wow, I think I read that completely wrong and dgstan was referring PQ. However, I have to say that my s-video PQ is much better than RCA on my two TV's. Then again, I don't have an Aquos. I am kind of surprised it even has RCA inputs.

He means the picture notr the jacks themselves.

Purogamer said:
How exactly did you try to adjust the picture?

There's a lengthy (and quite useful) post on another forum with explicit guideline on how to adjust the Aquos' PQ. I don't know the rules regarding posting other site's info here.

Regardless, after testing the TV using my other 625 with the same result, I called Sharp. They deduced that the LCD is defective. I took it back to Costco this morning. I did not get another one. Sharp didn't give me a warm/fuzzy.

Thanks to everyone who helped solve this matter.

DGStan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts