help please!8 days to superbowl

redwingfan

Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
I am new to computer so searching has given me nothing but migranes.I have a 52" toshiba DLP tv and i run FTA stellite(i'm in canada). TV does not have hdtv receiver.What can I do to have hdtv picture.I have heard people talk about OTA receiver but i don't understand or know where i can buy one.Any suggestions on whatever you can tell me i need would be appreciated.thanks

If yout tv is hd ready you will need a set top box to receive hd ota transmissions. Your local tv stations will have to send the hd signal. you may be able to pick up a used voom box off of ebay but be sure the voom box is avtivated.

so you say i need a set top box.is that a receiver?and a antenna?where do you get that stuff?not sure is voom box a receiver?

Before spending a penny, do you even know if there is an HD station in your area broadcasting the Super Bowl? If not, you won't get it with the OTA receiver. You'll need a pay service available in Canada.

sure a voom box will work. Hopefully you're on the border and near a US city like seattle, detroit, or buffalo...

yes i am 2 miles from detroit.thats all i get are u.s stations except 1 but its really terrible.thanks for all the help.1 more thing,is the voom box better than a samsung or radio shack ota receiver?

It might give you a hassle because it was originally meant to work with voom, but it should work just fine to accomplish what you want. If you don't already have the voom box, i'd just get the cheapest thing you can find, and if that's a voom box, get that ;)

If you buy a voom box off of ebay, make sure you ask the seller if it is activated. If the Super Bowl is what you are concerned about you may want to just go to your local electronics store and ask them for a good Hd receiverl If you are that close to Detroit you shouldn't have much trouble receiving a digital signal. As far as antennas go you may be able to pick up the Deroit signal with a good indoor model say maybe the Zenith Silver Sensor.

Attachments

• voom receiver.jpg
    voom receiver.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Get either of the 2 box makes & models listed above already; 1st pref is that LG or secondary that RS make. Don't risk getting a dud Voom box. Get a decent sized directional antenna to receive the DET channels.

What TV do you have? Do you need atuner? I could be incorrect but I thought all of Toshibas DLP's came with a built in OTA tuner?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts