Help with 3-LNB installation??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ggarrett

Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
I have been trying to get my Directv to work for some time now. Originally I mounted the dish turned on the receiver typed in my zip code and obtained the azimuth, elevation, and tilt (196.7, 51.9, 70.1). I went out pointed my dish in this direction and nothing happened. So I began changing transponders and found out that I had 95 - 99 signal strength on transponders 22-32 and no signal on 1-21. I later found out from Directv that you must have a signal on transponder 1 and 2 in order to recieve programming. Can anyone help with this situation. Does this mean that I am picking up a portion of the signal from 101W. My understanding is that 101W is the primary sat. and that it has 1-32 transponders which provide various ranges of the programming. What am I doing wrong? I only get a message that says "searching for signal, please stand by." Please help......

Where do you have the dish mounted, anything in the way? Is the MAST level?
you're getting power through your coax since you get some transponders...

There could be numerous thing it could be... why not get a certified tech to put it in right?

Here's a question for the dealer/tech: Why is it when I check the sig strength for all 3 satellites 101 is 85-90 but 110 and 119 constantly ping 94-99?

I am in an apartment and the dish is mounted on the rail of the balcony. I am curious as to whether this is due to the 101W being obstructed by my building. The mast is level. Are the 1-32 transponders shared among the 3 sats? Or are there 32 transponder for each sat?

OK I found a diagram in one of these posts. It says that sat A has trans. 1-32, B has trans 22-32 and C with trans. 8, 10 , 12. On my dish pointing menu I have sat A highlighted and only 22-32 come in. I am not getting a signal on any of the transponders for B or C. Does this mean that I have a partial view of A?

Do you have the setup set to a triple LNB oval dish? It doesn't sound like you do.

Neutron said:
Here's a question for the dealer/tech: Why is it when I check the sig strength for all 3 satellites 101 is 85-90 but 110 and 119 constantly ping 94-99?

101 has to be a little off to get the best signal on 110 and 119.

In regards to the original question, 101 should have signal on almost all transponders from 1-32 ( some will always be in the 30s or 40s ), I think 110 has signal strength on lower transponders, and 119 on higher ones.

A faulty receiver or improper alignment are two of the things that can lead to only having signal on the upper transponders on 101.

Ask a neighbor if you can try to hook up their receiver temporarily to see if it's your receiver, if you want to find out on your own.

But it's usually faster and cheaper to have it professionally done.

Won't a lower signal from 101 mean more chances of rain fade? Does Directv have a bigger dish option?

In regards to the original post I agree on the suggestion of professional installation. You will save yourself a ton of headaches if you do this.

There are 32 transponders on the 101 satellite, you are not meant to get great signals on all of them, it sounds like a line of sight issue, from behind the dish, the 101 satellite bounces in off the right hand side of dish, the 119 satellite bounces in off the left hand side of dish and the reflector and middle LNB point at the 110 satellite, so the obstruction of the 101 satellite may be at the right hand side of dish, maybe its too close to something or as you said it may be a close by building, a picture from behind the dish would help. A Phase III dish needs line of sight top bottom and left and right side of the dish, a common mistake is installing too close to something or under an overhang, round here the 101 satellite is highest in the sky so suffers most if there is an over hang issue, the elevation angle that the satellite signal comes down at is very steep, and over hangs above the dish cause a lot of problems particularly in apartment installs. The mast has to be super plumb and level, use the bubble level that come with the dish, and readjust it after you mount the dish as the weight pulls the dish down.

I am starting to believe that I may need to get a pro. It just bugs me that I cant figure this out. Theoretically you should be able to point the dish in the direction given by the dish pointing utility, tweak a little and then it will work. I dont understand how I can only get a portion of the transponders on 101 and nothing at all on 110 and 119. I have a clear view of the 110 and 119 sats. but possibly a partially obstructed view of 101. Does the pointing utility give you a direction that is in between 101 and 119 so all three sats. can be tuned in?

"the reflector and middle LNB point at the 110 satellite"

I average an 85 signal on all three satellites, thats good for this far north.

I can really relate to this guys problems. I don't live in an apartment, but had one hell of a time trying to get my dish aligned properly. I called a pro installer and it was done and I was happy in about an hour and a half. Trust me, call somebody to do it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Direct TV 3LNB Problem

New To High Definition Satellite ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts