Help with best solution for upgrading to 4K service

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cpd5215

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
Columbus, Ohio
I realize this is probably going to be confusing, but I will give it my best shot....Also, I consider myself a tech geek, but you fine folks are true geniuses and have taken "tech knowledge" to a new level..

Anyways, I have read this whole thread as well as the ones on the other forums to try to get all the current info on how to best setup 4K, the process from Directv, and the equipment needed. With that said, heres the setup.

I had ATT Uverse cable and internet which was ran through the brains of the operation, the Residential Gateway. I am sure you guys are familiar with it. In OCT '15 as my promotions dropped off, and ATT acquired Directv, the reps offered me a good deal to leave Uverse cable and go with satellite. I still kept ATT internet(18megs). I was fine changing as we had Directv 8 or so years ago. The tech came out in Oct. He was a young kid, originally with Directv, and was pissed at the world that ATT recently stripped all the Direct logos off his truck and recently started wrapping it in the ATT stuff. He was new with the company and I could tell he didn't know much and was just mad at the transition and was on his way out. Anyways, I still had the dish in the backyard but it was crooked because over the years it had settled. It still had the four(i think) coax lines running from the dish if that tells you anything, i think a 5 LNB..He changed that out to a SL-3(pic attached) and now I think I have only 1 line running into the house. He was very angry he had to fix the dish. Guess he was having a rough day. That was all the "updates" to the outside equipment from what I remember. Once inside we went to living room where our main 60'' LCD is(the one that is going to be upgrade to a 4K). The Uverse RG and Uverse receiver were in that room with the Residential gateway hooked up to the coax line coming out of the wall(its RG6 i think). He unhooked the RG and the kid went to set up the HR44 receiver and said that I couldn't have the RG there, something about not enough coax lines or something like that. I didn't know any better. The HR44 is hooked via HDMI into my Denon AVR(which is also getting upgraded to a 4k AVR)and then another HDMI(ran through the wall into the back of the TV hung on the wall). Then he took the ATT RG down in the basement where he set up more Directv equipment(see pics) I realize the pics have a lot of wires going on but thats what happens when a few companies have laid their footprint in our home..lol But i tried to take pics of the wires that I know are ran into some directv equipment. I am sure you techies will know what is what...Obviously whatever he did in the basement, he ran some of directs equipment into the ATT RG. Lastly he installed 3 other wireless genies(C41) in other rooms of the house. Thursday I am having the ATT internet cancelled(it sucks) and having cable broadband (60 megs) installed.

So, my questions are:
1.) Why did he have to move my internet down in the basement. Is there anyway to get the internet back upstairs in the main living room by the TV/AV equipment. My understanding is I may need an ethernet port or something for the C61 client to be connected to new TV when I get it.(prob new Vizio P65). Could he not split that RG6 line that is in the living room..(sorry if thats a bad idea but just wondering).
2). When I get the new TV and AVR, is it still ok to run HDMI from HR54 to AVR then up to TV. After reading all these threads I am not quite understanding how the C61 wires up to the 4K tv and all. I thought I read hardwiring it into a 1 gig switch or something like that is the best way. Oh, also I have an Apple Time Capsule that needs added into this equation. Currently it is connected to the RG down in the basement.
3.) Should I wait to have the 4K installed until the new LNB come out?
4.) When the cable guy comes to install the internet on Thurs, is there anyway i can get the modem(ASIA 6141) and router (APPLE time capsule) back upstairs into the living room.?
5.) When we get the new 4k TV in the living room, does the HR54 stay there with the C61? I think I read the HR 54 needs to go on another TV or something like that. If thats the case, we have another TV in our loft that currently doesn't have a receiver hooked on it. Can it go there? Advantages/negatives?

Lastly, I called ATT(again I bundled with directv after ATT acquired them because I have wireless and internet with ATT) today to inquire about details of the 4K service and lets just say the poor young girl had no idea. Then she transferred me to a Directv "expert" who knew less than she did. Also, she said there was no way I was going to get any free equipment like the HR54 because I just joined in OCt'15. I know I have read on here many people that got free upgrades.

I know its all confusing, so please ask any questions and I will try to clarify it. Thanks so much!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6703.JPG
    IMG_6703.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_6703.JPG
    IMG_6703.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_6704.JPG
    IMG_6704.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_6705.JPG
    IMG_6705.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_6708.JPG
    IMG_6708.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_6709.JPG
    IMG_6709.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_6710.JPG
    IMG_6710.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_6711.JPG
    IMG_6711.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 250
oh boy, let me warm up my typing fingers.

so

1) not sure how the modem you had at the time works, but since you're switching to cable the guy did you a favor. with D* you cannot have more than once service on the coax at once (this is not absolute, but the exceptions are too hard to explain ATM). if your services were being fed from the coax and you only have one coax line to the back of your living room TV, then you cant have both up at the living room TV. since your switching to cable, you can ask the cable installer if its possible to put it back up there, but he will have to run a new line and drill a hole (that hole will likely be through the floor). unless you're having bad wifi issues, it wouldn't worry about it too much.

2) with the HR54 and C61K those are two distinct receivers ($7/mo per). since your 4k tv will be in the living room, that is where you want to have the C61K. you will want the HR54 somewhere else in the house since it will not natively display 4k content over HDMI. the C61k does have a built in test to see if your TV is capable of displaying 4k, or in this case, if your AVR is capable of passing through 4K. if your AVR fails this test you have three options. A) forget the C61k and get a regular genie mini or B) switch from a C61K and get the TV installed as RVU (if your TV supports this options, please post the brand/year of the TV and we can probably tell you) or C) have a dedicated HDMI cable from the TV to the C61k that does NOT go through your AVR.

in this scenario, i doubt the AVR will pass the 4k test, so you're likely looking at option C if its at all possible. yea, its guna suck running another cable in the wall, but pain the price of being on the bleeding edge (just ask a computer nerd lol)

FYI, that built in test is really easy to perform. connect the C61K to the HDMI cable, and power cable, and leave the coax disconnected. when the receiver is fully booted up, it will say it cant find a server, but near the top of the screen it will say something along the lines of either "this TV supports 4K content" or (in red text) "this TV does NOT support 4k content". you will want to perform this test as early as possible in the installation so you know how to proceed

3) since your dish is on the ground, and you don't mind buying the LNB on your own at a later date, proceeding at this stage would not be a terrible thing. i don't know how much people are paying for the LNB, but otherwise installation is pretty simple if you just have the genie and clients.

4) most of this is covered in question 1

5) most of this is covered in question 2

as for the freeness of the upgrade, uh yea, thats probably not going to happen. most people who have gotten it for free i would venture to say were already out of (2yr) contract and were due for some bill cutting/receiver upgrades anyway.

that should cover most of what you need to know.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
So I am looking at buying the new vizio p 65 c1. I am not sure on the AVR yet but it will def be 4K compliant. I do not have any wifi issues. So if I understand you correctly, I should just leave the Internet set up in the basement. How exactly would the 4K set up with the C61 knowing that my AVR and TV would be 4K compliant. I got a little confused. Sorry but thanks for all your help.

• Audio:
    • C61K supports Dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital Plus).
    • Dolby Atmos will only work with an HDMI Output. Dolby Atmos does not work with a Digital Audio output (Optical or Coax).
    • At the time of the C61K launch, most content, if any, will not be available in Dolby Atmos.

• Audio:
    • C61K supports Dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital Plus).
    • Dolby Atmos will only work with an HDMI Output. Dolby Atmos does not work with a Digital Audio output (Optical or Coax).
    • At the time of the C61K launch, most content, if any, will not be available in Dolby Atmos.
Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)