Help with Dish Network 119 in Central Costa Rica

SATSERVICES

Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
Daytona Beach, Florida
Dish Network in Costa Rica, we are using a 12' Fiberglass Dish with dual Dtv Lnb for 119 Dish Network satellite, I'm getting decent signal on 1/2 the Transponders but real low on some others, anyone have any solutions?

I´m kinda surprised to see there is at least some dish signal down in Costa Rica, more than 3 years ago, lot of people in Mexico ditched dish, due to loss of reliable worth watching signals (including 119).

You are using a prime-focus c-band satellite dish, but with a off-set dishnetwork KU lnb? That's a problem. I don't think the off-set lnb can be completely illuminated with the full signal from that kind of dish. So, even at 12 ft, it's probably only using the very center part of the dish for gathering signal.

You need to use lnb's that are made for a prime-focus dish, OR, try to find the largest off-set ku dish you can (I know 8 footers exist for sure) I'd bet that an 8-ft KU off-set dish will whomp the daylights for signal level out of that 12ft dish you are using now.

It's possible to get 72 in Costa Rica? I had thought 61.5 or 119 were the best bets.

primestar31 said:
You are using a prime-focus c-band satellite dish, but with a off-set dishnetwork KU lnb? That's a problem. I don't think the off-set lnb can be completely illuminated with the full signal from that kind of dish. So, even at 12 ft, it's probably only using the very center part of the dish for gathering signal. You need to use lnb's that are made for a prime-focus dish, OR, try to find the largest off-set ku dish you can (I know 8 footers exist for sure) I'd bet that an 8-ft KU off-set dish will whomp the daylights for signal level out of that 12ft dish you are using now.
He'll and thanks for responding, not sure what make dish is but would be interested in finding out exactly the right LNB I can use to pull in all transponders needed if you know?

He'll and thanks for responding, not sure what make dish is but would be interested in finding out exactly the right LNB I can use to pull in all transponders needed if you know?

You need the Invacom QPF-031 . That should work better on your prime focus dish, and it does circular polarized DBS signals like for Dish Network. You are welcome to find it and buy it anywhere you can, but here is link below of the one I mean. Note, they are NOT easy to find, so you might only finally track it down in Europe. You will also need to buy the small ADF-120 feedhorn to go with it:

This: http://www.dvbhardware.com/product_info.php?products_id=91 AND this: http://www.dvbhardware.com/product_info.php?cPath=7&products_id=92

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Invacom/Invacom-QPF-031-Quad-lnbf.htm

This is the Pattern I don't understand:
Anyone might know what the problem would be I would appreciate it.
Aimed at DishNetwork 119w Satellite

Transponders 1-5 are 0 signal
Trans 6,7= 55-65 signal
8,9= 0-0 signal
10,11= 55-60 signal
12-13= 0-0 signal
14,15= 55-65 signal
16,17= 0-0 signal
18,19= 60-65 signal
20-21= 0-0 signal

Trans 6,7= 55-65 signal
8,9= 0-0 signal
10,11= 55-60 signal
12-13= 0-0 signal
14,15= 55-65 signal
16,17= 0-0 signal
18,19= 60-65 signal
20-21= 0-0 signal
It seems like it should be evens versus odds and not the neighboring channels that you're showing.

Anyone might know what the problem would be I would appreciate it.
Aimed at DishNetwork 119w Satellite

Trans 6,7= 55-65 signal
8,9= 0-0 signal
10,11= 55-60 signal
12-13= 0-0 signal
14,15= 55-65 signal
16,17= 0-0 signal
18,19= 60-65 signal
20-21= 0-0 signal

What antenna brand are you using?
What LNB brand are you using?
What Feed are you using?

Last edited:
Here is another option. If you have a Dish account in the US and an internet account in Costa Rica, just use Dish Anywhere to get all your channels. My friend in Mexico, near Akumal, does exactly that. He no longer needs to maintain dishes or transport receivers.

I got your message, but you need to tell me the Antenna brand, if there is no brand, I will assume there's the first problem, you need to work with professional manufacturers that will provide accurate surface for maximum gain.

Dual DSS LNBF I don't know what brand is that, I will advice you to use From Aspen Eagle DTV 32+ (Circular Ku Band 12.2 to 12.7 GHz)

Unknown.jpg

What are you using for feed?

I think you have a copy of a 3.8 m off set fed antenna from Prodelin, but I would need more close pictures to make final statements.
Specially from the back part of the antenna, Bolts, the metal structure and the petals....The green paint isn't helping, the antenna normally comes in white
Also I don't know if my eyes are tricking me but I see the antenna is not leveled with the house?
In other words the king post or pole has to be totally vertical (perpendicular) or 90 degrees (right angle) with earth.....

The partial conclusion came out of the back part of the petals see the picture:

prodelin-3-8-m-`c`-band-antenna.jpg

The ribs from the back part of the petals have perfect shape, all have same size and are in perfect form in sync with the antenna shape
this is because it is made out of an injection mold, not only plain fiber; when you see a copy, that is the first red flag, it's very difficult to copy when the technique is injection.

In other words, you can try to copy the antenna's surface, probably it will look the same but it will never perform as a mold made antenna....
In order to achieve professional results, the investment is so high that it will be cheaper to buy a antenna from the original manufacturer....

Last edited:
Thanks, I appreciate your time but my only issue is the pattern of signal I posted a few messages back, that's the strange part I can't figure out, unless those transponders are just too weak to get in Central CR! But still the pattern to me is very strange. In my 25 years I've never seen that!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)