Help with Voom HD

mmulet

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 21, 2004
Southern Minnesota
OK, I'm stumped.

I have a 6000 series receiver (with Enhanced HD and OTA modules installed), with a legacy Dish 500 twin (110/119) and Dish 300 pointed at 61.5. Hooked up via two SW21s.

I'm signed up for only the VOOM HD and HD package (HBO HD, SHO HD, Discovery HD, TNT HD, ESPN HD, HDNET, VOOM), which worked Ok for a couple of months. In late July, I started having trouble with only the Voom stations, then had trouble receiving anything HD. When I did the switch checkup, it wouldn't see all three satellites. I replaced the 2 SW21's and cabling, with no response. I replaced the enhanced HD module, and all of a sudden, everything worked again. (Switch check shows all 3 satellites, good signals on all transponders).

That was for about a week. Now, for the last two days, I'm having trouble with the Voom stations - no signal. Good signals from all the transponders at 110 and 119, but at 61.5, I get great signals on the even transponders (100-117), but lousy signals (42-43) on only the odd transponders (1, 3, 5, 7 -where the Voom stations are). All the other HD channels work fine.

Do I need a new receiver? Do I have a bad LNB? Should I just pay to have a $99 service call? As I said earlier, I replaced both SW21 and all the cabling; switch check works fine. Do I have a bad 6000 which is burning out/ruining the Enhanced HD module? (OTA works fine).

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Miguel Mulet

Swapping the LNB out should be fairly easy, so I guess I'll try that next. Is it common for an LNB to be bad for only the odd transponders, but not the even ones? (Or vice versa?). I'll try swapping that out and see if it makes a difference. Dish said I had a bad receiver; but I find that hard to believe if all the rest of the stuff works.

Miguel Mulet

mmulet said:
I get great signals on the even transponders (100-117), but lousy signals (42-43) on only the odd transponders (1, 3, 5, 7 -where the Voom stations are).
And while you are there on the roof, :D make sure that all wires are tight. As I understand, you have two RG6 lines coming from the LNB: one for each polarity (one for odd transonders, another one for even transponders ;) ). It is possible that one of these two has poor connection, water in it, etc.

mmulet said:
Is it common for an LNB to be bad for only the odd transponders, but not the even ones? (Or vice versa?).
Yes. As I mentioned above, they use different polarity.

Ilya, yes, the 61.5 sat has two RG6 lines coming from the LNB; I didn't realize that one served odds and the other evens.

So, I'll check the cabling also. We did have a very fierce thunderstorm a day or two before this happened, so perhaps there is a "leak" which is causing this problem.

Miguel

By the way, if I do find a moist or wet connection, is it sufficient to dry it off an reinstall, or better to just replace the entire length of cable?

Miguel

I don't think you need to replace the cables. Just check all the connections.

Ilya said:
And while you are there on the roof, :D make sure that all wires are tight. As I understand, you have two RG6 lines coming from the LNB: one for each polarity (one for odd transonders, another one for even transponders ;) ). It is possible that one of these two has poor connection, water in it, etc.
Ilya, that (even/odd) is NOT, repeat NOT what the two outputs of a Dual are for.

Legacy LNBs are controlled by voltage switching. Low (13V) is for odd, high (18V) is for even transponders.

Just wanted to post an update: I had forgotten that one of my lines had a line amplifier on it; the connection to it was loose. I just removed the line amplifier, and all the ODD transponders are up to their regular levels and Voom has been reformed. So, it was either that loose connection (most likely), or the line amplifier itself, but thanks to everyone for their help.

Miguel