HELP!!!!!!

valechka

Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
To People Who Know What They Are Doing,

I have a 500 International Dish Network Dish. I moved to another apartment and I am trying to point the dish myself. I need to accomplish this by Christmas. I do not consider myself technologically impaired (meaning that with some research and effort, I am able to figure out absolutely anything), but, honestly, I don't know what I am doing here. I want to learn though.

I know this: AZ 235 EL 41 SK 135
What I do not know is this: is there a screen that would give me the actual pointing of my dish right now (in other words, how do I know the peak angles that I have right now), so I would adjust it: lift a dish a little, turn to the left, to the right, etc.? Are some kind of special tools used to determine AZ, EL and SK? When a satellite guy was installing the dish the first time, he was not using anything but the compass.

Here's what my Point dish screen looks like:

Satellite Transponder
119 11

The line underneath is red and says"not locked".

The satellite guy used this screen to position the dish. I can move it all over the place for ever and there is no guarantee that I would eventually point it.
What do I need to do? Where to start?

Here's what my install summary screen looks like:

Input: 1
Satellite: Conn
Polarity: X
Device: Dual
Super Dish X Alternate

So, I go to "Details" and see this:
LNB status: direct connect to DP Dual
DP Dual 1 Good connection, no signal

Please, please, please help me!

Valentina.

First, make sure the pole you're mounting the dish to is straight up and down (plumb). Then look at the dish mount itself. You will see numbers and marks that you will set the elevation (EL) and skew (SK) numbers to. The azmuith (AZ) is what you use the compass for. South is 180 degrees. 235 degrees would be west of south. Point the dish in that direction. This will get you close to the satellites. Then use slight movements get the highest signals on the dish pointing screen. When the line turns green, the signal is strong enough to get a picture. Keep adjusting for the highest level. Good luck.

I just went thru the learning experiece you are hoping to.
I found mucho info at Sadouns site under the tab for setup support. Including the directions for the dish setup and an explanation of the DishPro product.
It helped me greatly. That and a couple of pointers from the folks on here and I was good to go.

Honestly, you may save a lot of stress and frustration if you have a tech come out and point it for you. I have no problem showing someone how to aim their own dish while I'm there (I use a $20 meter for the 500, 500+, and 1000.2), but if you've never done it before it can be quite the lesson on your own. :) I'm better at showing than explaining, so sorry if I can't offer really good advice.

Dish'n it up questions?

Dish without a contract?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts