Here is a list of Markets that will NOT support PTAT

Wow, that makes me REALLY glad my locals are in HD from KC. The St. Joe ABC is pretty poor anyway as far as local news quality.

yep Mankato, MN is the same way. They're 80 miles or so from Minneapolis and are a CBS and Fox subchannel market only
Dish gives you Mankato CBS & Fox and Minneapolis ABC & NBC all in glorious SD....if they carried the CBS in HD they would get 3 of 4 (Fox is 480i widescreen) in HD
Directv has it in HD so they get 3 of 4 in HD

Puerto Rico has 1.1 million homes of which 98% are estimated to have TVs. If Puerto Rico was considered a DMA it would be around 30th in size. Approximately the size of KC DMA.

Add the Virgin Islands and other Caribbean Islands served in this market and it is even larger.

It would be nice if Dish designed their satellites with good PR/USVI coverage. But even adding in 1.1 million more it would just bump the total to about 2.2% not covered.

One of the reasons short markets are probably not supported is that the channels could be split up on different TPs (i.e. the missing local supplied from another market is on that market's TP).

I am a little slow on the satellite lingo, so what does this mean?> I am in the [FONT=&amp] [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Wheeling-Steubenville, West-Virginia-Ohio. Thanks
Will this mean we lose our locals thru dish , with a antenna high on my roof, I can on good days get Pittsburgh pa channels and wheeling wv channels.
[/FONT]

I am a little slow on the satellite lingo, so what does this mean?> I am in the [FONT=&amp]Wheeling-Steubenville, West-Virginia-Ohio. Thanks
Will this mean we lose our locals thru dish , with a antenna high on my roof, I can on good days get Pittsburgh pa channels and wheeling wv channels.
[/FONT]

You won't lose any locals if you upgrade to the Hopper / Joey system, Primetime Anytime just records your big 4 HD locals (CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox) via satellite using one tuner. If you currently have your OTA antenna hooked up to your Dish receiver I would wait on the Hopper since it will likely not have OTA support until the summer at the earliest.

I am a little slow on the satellite lingo, so what does this mean?> I am in the [FONT=&] [/FONT][FONT=&]Wheeling-Steubenville, West-Virginia-Ohio. Thanks
[/FONT]

You will still be able to record and watch your locals just like today with the Hopper/Joey system. Your market though will just not support the prime time any time feature where the Hopper records all of the big 4 primetime shows automatically.

Yep, Tyler does not have their locals in HD on DISH. Directv has been offering locals in HD since 2008, and of course Suddenlink has locals in HD. The station managers all have told me that DISH gets their HD feeds and can start up linking them whenever ready, as it's already in their contracts to do so.

I still have yet to figure out why DISH passed up this market for smaller ones when their competition provides locals in HD.... A lot of the customers DISH has here are rural customers.

why am i not suprised at the size of the list?
or to see salisbury md dma on it :)

i think dish hates us as a dma

stardust3 said:
They're saying these 5 areas will have partial functionality.

- Cheyenne, Wyoming
- Fairbanks, Alaska
- Juneau, Alaska
- Panama City, Florida
- Topeka, Kansas

The crappy thing about Topeka is that our FOX affiliate started broadcasting HD in September 2011. They renewed there agreement with Dish in January. They claim that Dish is the one holding up putting the channel in HD. Dish says it will be in HD "soon."

Is that the market with the station owner than demands a king's ransom? Search the forums here.

not sure of what they wanted
i remember dish was ready to announce carriage, then cancelled the press conference
then direct picked it up
then dish did too

its an ongoing saga

Is that the market with the station owner than demands a king's ransom? Search the forums here.
I don't know any specifics about that TV market but usually one station won't stop Dish. They'll carry two of the three or three of the four stations... It's easy for Dish to point fingers and say "look, we were able to make agreements with the other locals in your town".

I don't know any specifics about that TV market but usually one station won't stop Dish. They'll carry two of the three or three of the four stations... It's easy for Dish to point fingers and say "look, we were able to make agreements with the other locals in your town".

Here's a blurb about the DMA back in 2010. I think it's a short market having to import some stuff. This was over SD I think.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-forum/215700-new-locals.html

All these numbers are total households. What I would like to know is how many are satellite customers. I would like to see market ranking by satellite customers, not total households. When I lived in the Northeast, I didn't see many satellite dishes. Where i live in Texas, there is no cable and everyone who has tvs has a satellite dish. I bet Tyler Texas is much higher than 107 in the ranking of satellite dominant areas. The more likely problem is the # of spot beams and transponders needed to cover a large georaphic area. Dish has 14 million of the 134 million households.That is less than 11%. In West Texas i would think they have more than 25% of households and underserves them. The lack of competition hurts us.

Edit: I just found the following; http://www.tvb.org/planning_buying/184839/4729/ads_cable_dma?ads_archive=&sort_by=field365450&pg=

It shows Tyler at about 60% Satellite penatration in the top 10 of that rating. Springfield Ma the Nielson 114 DMA has less than 10% satellite penatration and is ranked 209. Why it gets local HD and Tyler not is a joke. Another Dish marketing mistake like charging for the 1st Joey.

Last edited:
For Dish to have a market in HD they have to have a spot beam with enough room. While there is room now, Dish also has the mandate to add all the secondary HD channels in existing markets (like CW, PBS, MYTV, etc.). So, they have to keep the space as they slowly add the secondary stations. There is a chance with the new 61.5 spot beam satellite being launched later this year that they will have more capacity to add more HD markets.

All these numbers are total households. What I would like to know is how many are satellite customers. I would like to see market ranking by satellite customers, not total households. When I lived in the Northeast, I didn't see many satellite dishes. Where i live in Texas, there is no cable and everyone who has tvs has a satellite dish. I bet Tyler Texas is much higher than 107 in the ranking of satellite dominant areas. The more likely problem is the # of spot beams and transponders needed to cover a large georaphic area. Dish has 14 million of the 134 million households.That is less than 11%. In West Texas i would think they have more than 25% of households and underserves them. The lack of competition hurts us.

Edit: I just found the following; TVB - ADS and Wired-Cable Penetration by DMA

It shows Tyler at about 60% Satellite penatration in the top 10 of that rating. Springfield Ma the Nielson 114 DMA has less than 10% satellite penatration and is ranked 209. Why it gets local HD and Tyler not is a joke. Another Dish marketing mistake like charging for the 1st Joey.

Yep, and it makes no sense as Directv has offered locals in Tyler since 2008.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts