DWS44

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2004
Rock Hill, SC
WOW...did this weekend's sweep of the Bravos feel good or what! :up

Ya know...I haven't had this much fun watching a baseball season in years!!! :D

(now if they could just complete a trade for Zito, we'd be set :hungry: )

DWS44 said:
WOW...did this weekend's sweep of the Bravos feel good or what! :up

Ya know...I haven't had this much fun watching a baseball season in years!!! :D

(now if they could just complete a trade for Zito, we'd be set :hungry: )
Well you've got about 18 hours to go to make that trade :)

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
Well you've got about 18 hours to go to make that trade :)

Jimbo

Yep...I figure it's a long shot, since they supposedly want Millege or Heliman. It would be nice to have Zito down the stretch even though he'd be a short-timer. I don't really want to give up Millege, but I wouldn't mind losing Heliman.

DWS44 said:
Yep...I figure it's a long shot, since they supposedly want Millege or Heliman. It would be nice to have Zito down the stretch even though he'd be a short-timer. I don't really want to give up Millege, but I wouldn't mind losing Heliman.
I think you will end up giving up one or the other.
Why do you think Zito will be a short term situation ?
I am sure they will make every effort to sign him for 2-3 years after he would get there.

Jimbo

Well...I guess the Mets would have as good a shot as any to keep him, but Zito is signed the agent most teams despise, Scott Boras. He will turn it into an all out bidding war, I'm sure

DWS44 said:
Well...I guess the Mets would have as good a shot as any to keep him, but Zito is signed the agent most teams despise, Scott Boras. He will turn it into an all out bidding war, I'm sure
Yes but theres only 2 other teams that will be able to afford him, so that will narrow his choices down, Boros will then get the most he can for Zito...
I wonder how much of a say the player has when deciding, if your agent is just going for the most money.

Jimbo

I would only give up Millege for Willis. This year, we can get by with Bannister, Pelfrey, & Maine. Next year they can just go out and sign Zito if they want him.

This Mets team is built for more than one year. FINALLY! Thank God the Wilpon's finally got smart and hired someone who knows about baseball. If they hired Omar a year earlier (when they offered him the "co-GM" job with Ducette), we'd still have Kazmir.

Zito will be a rental for the play offs. His agent is Scott Boras who will demand tons of money for an average left hander. Zito has not been dominant at all since his cyoung season. However, he may benefit by pitching in a weak national league. He may even be a 20 game winner and do as good as Pedro Martinez or Roger Clement on the National League which seems to have only two teams that can go head to head with about 10 teams in the American League.

If the Mets deal for Zito, the Mets will have him for one game in the playoffs. If they advance, they will have him for another one and so on. Zito is a rental for the playoffs--no more no less.

Sean Mota said:
Zito is a rental for the playoffs--no more no less.

Which is why when it's all said and done I'd be very surprised if you ever see Zito in a Mets uniform.

I haven't seen any details on this supposed Schmidt deal yet. All I've seen is a headline on ESPN.COM. The actual story is buried behind their pay service. CNNSI is hinting that the Mets might also be on the trail of Roy Oswalt. Now THAT would be a catch. I'd give up Milledge for Oswalt.

pdxsam said:
I haven't seen any details on this supposed Schmidt deal yet. All I've seen is a headline on ESPN.COM. The actual story is buried behind their pay service. CNNSI is hinting that the Mets might also be on the trail of Roy Oswalt. Now THAT would be a catch. I'd give up Milledge for Oswalt.

Hmmm...Oswalt may be interesting.

Here's the blurb on Schmidt from ESPN Insider:

In a starting-pitching market devoid of juicy names, Schmidt has been the two-ton gorilla waiting to enter the room for weeks. Well, that room is now officially open. Clubs that made contact with the Mets on Sunday say they were talking to the Giants about a potential deal to bring Schmidt to New York. And the Giants were said to be listening. A trade like that would have been out of the question a week ago, when the Giants were actually considered a hot team. As a matter of fact, a week ago -- heck, a few days ago -- the Giants were still buyers. But is a club that just went winless on a six-game journey to Washington and Pittsburgh worth adding to? That's a question that Giants GM Brian Sabean is going to have to burn a whole lot of brain cells on between now and the deadline. And it's become an issue because the Mets have made one final pre-deadline run at Sabean's ace. Clubs that have been speaking to Sabean over the last few weeks say that in early July he was ready to start entertaining offers for Schmidt and some of his other veteran names. (Not the left fielder, of course.) But then a funny thing happened: The Giants ripped off five straight wins the week after the All-Star break -- including three in San Diego against the first-place Padres. And the next thing they knew, they were actually in first place. But then, just as they were about to sweep a four-gamer in Petco, Armando Benitez blew the Game 4 save, and they haven't won since. So while they're telling teams they still think they're in both the NL West and wild-card races (they're four games out in each), there are indications that the Mets have gotten their attention. It's believed the Rangers and Red Sox have also inquired about Schmidt. And there were conversations with the White Sox about him earlier in the month. So the Giants at least will have some interesting options. But they've made it clear that for someone to pull this off, it's going to be "expensive." They would want at least two players back -- either two top-tier young players they can rebuild around or one player like that and a young starting pitcher who could replace Schmidt in the rotation now and down the road. But the Mets are adamant that they aren't trading Lastings Milledge for a rent-a-pitcher. So an official of one team described this deal Sunday as "more unlikely than likely." But given the other pitching choices on the buffet table, even a Jason Schmidt rumor is sounding good at the moment.

DWS thanks for posting that.

I too prefer the Oswalt choice if it can be done. He's signed through 2007 which makes it easier to swallow losing a prospect.

I'm not so enamored from what I've read and seen with Milledge that I can say he would be untouchable.

I can't see how the Houston Astro will give up Oswalt when they themselves are not too far from the wild card race. If it happens it will be a steal and it will mean that the Astros are given up. I do not see that yet.

ESPNEWS is reporting that the Mets are talking to the astros and orioles for a 3 teams dealt where Oswalt comes to the Mets, Milledge goes to the Orioles.

I think Houston has pretty much decided they're not gonna have the guns to make it to the end.

Mets take a big hit with the Sanchez accident (out for season(?)).

The trade of Nady to the Pirates for Roberto Hernandez will help, but Nady was a "good guy". Guess we'll really see how Millege will turn out now. At least they did not trade him for a "rental".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)