Hi Gals/Gentleman...your expertise needed 811 PQ on SD for my Toshiba 42H83 RPTV

CESARINSKI

Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
You know...I am having difficulty in coming up with the correct "potion" on how to get a friggin' comparable picture to my former standard cable service.

The PQ on SD is unacceptable. Regular ESPN is very blurry, the same for FoxSportsWorld. I mean...I was under the impression that satellite is just as good or slightly better than cable when it comes to picture quality.

I have both the S-Video and RCA cables input and have tried different variations...and I get the same shitzky picture.

I mean my HD is fine...but I want to enjoy ESPN2, FoxSportsWorld, Comedy Channel, and the History Channel.

Have I been had or is there a resolution?

Welcome to the world of larger than 27" TVs and Satellites.

My 57" is the same way.

Our other TVs, 27's, 19's etc all look great.

bcshields said:
Can you use DVI? If so, I've heard it improved the SD quality from the 811 output.

After further research...some say DVI works...others say it doesn't make a difference.

I am kind of flustered...I truly felt that satellite would be as good or better than cable.

I am one that listened to those that said DVI is better and bought a DVI cable.

Zero difference on my Toshiba RPTV.

Save your money.

peid said:
I am one that listened to those that said DVI is better and bought a DVI cable.

Zero difference on my Toshiba RPTV.

Save your money.

Thanks PEID...those words you just wrote saved me a trip to EBAY and $25 of green Paypal dinero.

So...I take it you have officially surrendered to what satellite does to our TV's...shall I surrender with you? :river

I have accepted the fact that's the way it is.

The really sad part is, it is still better than my previous cable company.

It also makes it seem really bad when I watch a lot of HD programming then go to the SD programming.

I maybe would have never noticed it if I didn't have a HDTV.

I have the Toshiba 57H83 with my 811 running DVI between the two....

Don't get me wrong, SD is no match for HD, but I don't see it any worse then my previous SD provider Mediacom. In fact on some channels my SD is better then Mediacom. I spent the $25 on a DVI before my 811 even got to me so I have no expereince on RCA or S-Video cables, but no complaints here.

CESARINSKI said:
You know...I am having difficulty in coming up with the correct "potion" on how to get a friggin' comparable picture to my former standard cable service.

The PQ on SD is unacceptable. Regular ESPN is very blurry, the same for FoxSportsWorld. I mean...I was under the impression that satellite is just as good or slightly better than cable when it comes to picture quality.

I have both the S-Video and RCA cables input and have tried different variations...and I get the same shitzky picture.

I mean my HD is fine...but I want to enjoy ESPN2, FoxSportsWorld, Comedy Channel, and the History Channel.

Have I been had or is there a resolution?

On SOME TVs folks have better luck using the 480p resolution for SD viewing. I suggest trying it. Use the component cables and go to the 811 installation video and choose your out put at 480p see how the SD stations look. On my Panasonic, I get a better picture. Others see no difference. For HD you will want to go back to the native resolution for your Toshiba, either 720p or 1080i.

Good luck

Rick

Same Problem Different TV

See the thread I started this am with the same problem with my Hitachi. Some good insight to the responses I got for my situation. I am still waiting for a 921 with its 1080i. I assume the way people have answered me that the 921 and 811 output 1080i not matter SD or HD. Is that right?

My biggest problem with the 811 is poor (actually unacceptable) picture quality on standard digital Dishnet channels. My direct comparison is to 301 receiver.

The 301 using standard audio and video (aka composite) gives my Sony 34" XBR 910 an excellent picture quality.

The 811 in almost all modes but especially on SD Dishnet channels provides unacceptable video drive on ALL video outputs composite, component & DVI(I still haven't tried S Video since I have heard many complaints on S Video).

The other "bugs" with the 811 I can tolerate until the software gets sorted out - I went thru a similar 'learning/development curve with the 301.

Bob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)