High Def for Idiots

Status
Please reply by conversation.

alta

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2004
A few months ago I bought an HDTV Ready TV from Phillips and upgraded my DirecTV receiver to a Hughes HTL-HD. My TV has 2 Composite Video Inputs. I hooked one up to the DVD and the other to the Hughes. It does have a RGB cable input.

I did NOT subscribe the HD package. However, I have the HBO package which includes one HBO High Def channel.

For the life of me I can't see the difference between the HD broadcast and the regular one (which is simulcast on another channel). This is the major reason I still haven't signed up for the HD programming.

I'm starting to wonder if I did something wrong. Did I somehow hook it up wrong? Was I supposed to use the S video for the DirecTV? More likely, should I have hooked it up using the RGB out?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

alta said:
A few months ago I bought an HDTV Ready TV from Phillips and upgraded my DirecTV receiver to a Hughes HTL-HD. My TV has 2 Composite Video Inputs. I hooked one up to the DVD and the other to the Hughes. It does have a RGB cable input.
you should have component inputs on tv and the Hughes (red, blue, green) the composite will be red, white and yellow.(and will be labeled red/right, white/left and yellow/video.

alta said:
Was I supposed to use the S video for the DirecTV? More likely, should I have hooked it up using the RGB out?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
S video will only input downrezzed 480i. Does your Tv have RGB in? if so hook it up if not get Componet cables and hook up as HBO hd and HBO sd should look nothing alike...

First of all, I believe you may have to have the HD package to receive HBO in HD. I have the same box as you. Are you sure you don't have component cables vs. composite ones? If you do have component inputs (which is the most common), make sure that your TV is on the correct input. If you have a set of rabbit ears and are reasonably close to an OTA broadcast antenna (you can check at www.antennaweb.org to check this), then you should hook the antenna up and check your HD reception. A great majority of HD content comes from the networks, anyway, and currently you can't receive it through DTV. I believe DTV may still be running a promo on the HD package, so see if you can get it for free for 6 months. Good luck.

Swacksman hit it right on the head, even though the HBO HD channel came in on the Hugher HTL-HD, and not on the non-HD recerivers, it wasn't broadcast to me in HD because I didn't order the DirecTV HD package.

I called DirecTV and they confirmed this and hooked me up Free for 6 months.

Thanks for the heads up.

alta ,The hd pack from directv has nothing to do with hbo hd and show hd .The hd pack from directv has espnhd, discoveryhd, bravohd(universalhd) hdnet and hdnet moovies. In order to receive hbohd and showtime hd you must subscribe to the hbo and the showtime package. I have provided a link to the directv hd package and you can see for yourself. I hate to tell you this,, but the csr you talked to did not know what they were talking about and got you to sign up for the hd pack for 10.99 a month ,even though the first six months are free.

Here is the directv hd package
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/HDTV_programming.dsp

Here is the hbo and showtime hd information,notice what they say about recieving these channels,"customers who subscribe to hbo and showtime unlimited will receive these channel and no additional charge."
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/HDTV_premium.dsp

NOW FOR THE PROBLEM WITH PICTURE QUALITY.
make sure you have the hughes htl receiver screen resoulation set for 1080i when viewing hd material.This should be able to be done from the menue .IF you have it set for 480i then this could be the reason you do not see a differance between hd and sd material . Also make sure to use either the RGB, DVI or the Component video out jacks(red,green,blue) these three jacks(RGB,Dvi,Component video) are for 480i,480p,720p and 1080i operation. Well I hope this clears things up for you and welcome to satelliteguys.us....................DIGITAL~DAN

robert luzzi said:
alta, do you have a phase III or paratodos w/sat c lnb or an 18" round?

I have a multi-sat dish,

Any now that I have the HD package (free for 6 months) I am getting the HD broadcasts.

Thanks for all the help.

Now if someone can point me toward a good HD receiver with Radio Frequency remote, I'd be a happy man. lol

The Sony HD300 has a RF remote. This is an expensive receiver, but I believe it is worth it. Some retailers still have a few remaining, you can also check Ebay.

Steady34 said:
The Sony HD300 has a RF remote. This is an expensive receiver, but I believe it is worth it. Some retailers still have a few remaining, you can also check Ebay.

I think this is BAD advice. There is no difference between the HD300 and the HTL-HD other than the RF remote, and it is hardly worth the price difference.

You can make any IR remote into an RF remote with a simple addon.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)