HOA says move dish

tpinck

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
My HOA sent a text to neighbor giving 10 days to remove the dish in the side flower plot, their rules state it not be visible from the street. While we were out of country for the month of January, they decided to remove the nice mature bushes that shielded the dish, as part of the driveway widing project. The shielding bushes were a good 30 feet away from the area widened. To top it off it is my dish not theirs.

I have a spot beside the airport fence in the wooded area. Must switch LNB from Eastern Arc to western Arc.

Will dish move it for me, if so will they charge me?

I thought the FCC(or other agency) passed a law saying HOA can't restrict small dishes and antennas .

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lighthope
Tell the HOA to get bent.

Per OTARD, you are legally permitted to place an antenna up to one meter in diameter where necessary to receive a signal.

The federal government overrules all municipal laws and HOA rules.
If he is in a condo, there are different rules... Obviously this dish is not attached to the building. If in a condo or townhouse the dish is OK as long as it is in the subs private space, not in open space belonging to the community grounds.

The HOA may be correct. If this flower pot is in a common area then it will have to be moved.

But if it’s not tell them to pound sand and send them a copy of the FCC rules. Ask them if they want to go to court as they will be paying your costs. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: krynn
I don't think I would tell them to pound sand. I know of more than one case where the homeowner was right and was allowed to keep the dish but was subject to scrutiny over every possible infraction of the HOA rules concerning everything from how often they mowed the lawn to the dimensions of their door knocker.

I would show them the regulations, let them now you think they are incorrect and take whatever action is rquired to secure your rights but always give them an opportunity to back down gracefully.

I thought the FCC(or other agency) passed a law saying HOA can't restrict small dishes and antennas .

FCC says that they cannot deny you having a small dish or antenna but can restrict where you put it.

Is this a home, townhome or condo. Is it your property or common area

It is a townhouse and as it turns out it is in common ground, however when it was installed it was thought to be my ground as I was maintaining it. Previous occupant thought so also.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I don't think I would tell them to pound sand. I know of more than one case where the homeowner was right and was allowed to keep the dish but was subject to scrutiny over every possible infraction of the HOA rules concerning everything from how often they mowed the lawn to the dimensions of their door knocker.

I would show them the regulations, let them now you think they are incorrect and take whatever action is rquired to secure your rights but always give them an opportunity to back down gracefully.
Agree they can get a bit on their high horse.

It is a townhouse and as it turns out it is in common ground, however when it was installed it was thought to be my ground as I was maintaining it. Previous occupant thought so also.
Gotcha, makes sense. I think dish would send some out to move it, they will probably want to charge you unless you have protection plan which you can sign up for when you call in. I believe you need to keep for min 6 months min.

The management company has forward my email to the HOA president and we are waiting to hear a reply. I think I should have Dish come and survey the spot and verify it would work. Then check with the HOA. Might cost a little but otherwise I will have to drop the service and go back to cable. Can only get Xfinity or AT&T no one else is authorized.

Reactions: Jimbo
Thanks for all your advice it is appreciated.
You mentioned in your original post that the move would include a change from eastern arc to western arc. Are your HD local channels on both? I don't see where you are so you would have to answer that question.

If it had been there for a year or more you are able to keep it there legally. Letters are just that letters. Keep it up . If they push tell them legally it can stay. They should not harass you. It would be harassment if they continue.