HOA says move dish

Just curious where you get the info about “more than 1 year” because that certainly hasn’t been true in my experience and research over the years. I actually asked my law professor about that a few years back, and he said the opposite of you.

Just curious where you get the info about “more than 1 year” because that certainly hasn’t been true in my experience and research over the years. I actually asked my law professor about that a few years back, and he said the opposite of you.
The fact is, as the OP stated, the dish is presently on community property. It was not meeting HOA standards from day one. I don't believe you can grandfather that. Now, if it were on owned property and the HOA decided that any existing dish had to be hidden from front view, that might have some grandfathering to it.

Reactions: Foxbat
The fact is, as the OP stated, the dish is presently on community property. It was not meeting HOA standards from day one. I don't believe you can grandfather that. Now, if it were on owned property and the HOA decided that any existing dish had to be hidden from front view, that might have some grandfathering to it.
I agree there. But not what the OP said.

My response was to the gentleman above my comment, who said by law he is grandfathered. What law?

It is a townhouse and as it turns out it is in common ground, however when it was installed it was thought to be my ground as I was maintaining it. Previous occupant thought so also.
I agree there. But not what the OP said.

My response was to the gentleman above my comment, who said by law he is grandfathered. What law?
Well the OP did say it was on common ground, he thought it was his ground as did the previous homeowner. I knew you were addressing the other poster who said some law allowed it if it had been there for a year. I don’t know of any law like that either. I do know that an HOA can’t make an arbitrary rule after the fact and force everyone to adhere to it unless every homeowner agreed to it initially.

Reactions: ChadT41
Well the OP did say it was on common ground, he thought it was his ground as did the previous homeowner. I knew you were addressing the other poster who said some law allowed it if it had been there for a year. I don’t know of any law like that either. I do know that an HOA can’t make an arbitrary rule after the fact and force everyone to adhere to it unless every homeowner agreed to it initially.
So than you and I are on the same page. It being on common ground, the HOA can enforce it at any point, as long as an exception(in writing) was ever made to the HO.

You mentioned in your original post that the move would include a change from eastern arc to western arc. Are your HD local channels on both? I don't see where you are so you would have to answer that question.
Yes I have used both in the past while being a full-time RVer.

If it had been there for a year or more you are able to keep it there legally. Letters are just that letters. Keep it up . If they push tell them legally it can stay. They should not harass you. It would be harassment if they continue.
I only moved in in May 2019 and it was installed in December

The management company has forward my email to the HOA president and we are waiting to hear a reply. I think I should have Dish come and survey the spot and verify it would work. Then check with the HOA. Might cost a little but otherwise I will have to drop the service and go back to cable. Can only get Xfinity or AT&T no one else is authorized.
you would be better off having some one from the HOA go out with you and so a survey to where where it would work... can you mount it to the roof using a non penitraiting roof mount??? and if it's been where it is for a year with no complaints then they should leave you alone!!!

If it had been there for a year or more you are able to keep it there legally. Letters are just that letters. Keep it up . If they push tell them legally it can stay. They should not harass you. It would be harassment if they continue.
i bet it'd blocking someones view:coco. seriously though people that are in HOA'S sound like they have been sitting in traffic all day and are pissed off at the world. no pun against the OP either just saying

Reactions: TRG
Kind of pricey but this may be a solution.

user57223_pic3595_1298352358.jpg
id'e put that next to the dish and se how they liked it:biggrin

We have to remember not everyone lives where they want to be by choice. Being close to a job, affordability, family, schools, the list is endless. All of us do what we have to do for our own particular situations.
I get that. Still, I don't think I'd be happy about an HOA suddenly having problems with a dish that has been up for over a year. One that nobody seemed to have a problem with until the HOA decided to change the landscaping in a common space that was believed to be private and maintained as such.

I'm also all about finding common ground and a rational solution. Have a Dish technician survey the property and provide options for the dish relocation with an HOA representative present. You don't want to be doing this again in another year or so. Then split the cost of the dish re-location with the HOA or defer a month or two worth of HOA dues to offset the cost to the homeowner. There has to be a balance, a give and take of sorts.

well if it gets to the point where the OP can't have the dish. then i would see if xfinity will buy me out of my contract would be one option...
the other option would be to file an FCC complaint just to get a higher up at dish other than a CSR to see if they will let the OP out of the contract i heard it's been done!!!

Put a small fence up that is just as side as dish and slightly taller..nice and decorative right in front of it between the dish and tree that was newly planted.. make it blend as part of the home in some way.
It just doesn't need to be seen apparently where the old bush did the trick.

I camo painted mine where I put it in yard up against a bush. I painted it to kinda match the bush in bloom lol It looks awesome!

you would be better off having some one from the HOA go out with you and so a survey to where where it would work... can you mount it to the roof using a non penitraiting roof mount??? and if it's been where it is for a year with no complaints then they should leave you alone!!!

Can not be attched to any structure. Another difficulty is communicating with the HOA. Originally I filled out a form on-line stating my intention and a week later sent a letter. Waited a month, with no response. I had even setup a dish on a tripod and ask them to inspect it. Nothing so I had it installed.

First response was the text to my neighbor.

I suspect that the next thing from them is a fine for not removing it in time.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: krynn and TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)