Home Media Center Update:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

LonghornXP

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Just to start out so all of you understand what is and isn't done I explain below.

When it comes to the HMC the software will be split up like this below.

Ucentric side= includes all multiroom and networking based features.
DirecTV side = program guide and interactive middleware.
NDS side = conditional access and security.

Now the HMC software was designed as a module based system so that each of the three software sets could be done seperately and put on the box together without conflicts.

Now when it comes to software as far as how long it will take it breaks down like this.

NDS = 15%
DirecTV = 15%
Ucentric = 70%

Now with all that said I'm glad to say that Ucentric has finished making and testing their portion of the middleware for the new HMC and it has been given to D* within the last week or so. That means that most of the work has been done and all thats left if for D* to put all the software together and make sure it works and do their testing on the box as a whole and once that is done they would start production. This means in simple terms that the HMC will be out sometime in the 4th quarter and that is giving time for delays lasting in the weeks.

This box should be completed and final enough that I'm sure an announcement will be made in July with IMO a date of availability for the HMC.

That's great info Longhorn.

And, not to look a gift horse in the mouth, when do you think you might be able to get some more details about the feature set.

I know, I know, we're never satisfied...

Thanks again for the info.

peterl1365 said:
That's great info Longhorn.

And, not to look a gift horse in the mouth, when do you think you might be able to get some more details about the feature set.

I know, I know, we're never satisfied...

Thanks again for the info.

From what I've seen and yes I've seen the prototype in person it will have the following features below.

Firstly to start off D* can support show based recording and season pass features regardless of the patents Tivo may have for these reasons below.

As long as D* implements the features on a low level without copying Tivo there isn't anything Tivo can do. Tivo has a patent on how they do it but if D* did this their own way Tivo can't stop them and I've heard rumors go around were D* execs told Tivo that if they sue them over this they would take them to court based on the fact that an idea can't be patented and D* will plow through court so slowly they as in Tivo would be bankrupt before they get halfway through it.

Now as far as I'm concerned I don't think the idea of a season pass and show based recording can be patented and I think Tivo has gotten lucky that no company has challanged them yet but I don't think they want D* or Murdock to challenge them because if they do they will lose and have to pay D* court fees and endup being so far in debt that they would need to be bought out.

Now I know I went long on this above but when I list the features I know some on here will bring up Tivo but that is what you need to know upfront.

MmmKay on to the specific features.

Hardware features will include the following below.
350 or 400GB hard drive.
4 D* tuners which can support both HD and SD in both MPEG 2 and 4 formats and can support all satellite locations.
2 LG 5th generation OTA ATSC tuners (only needs one antenna connection).

2 USB 2.0 ports.
1 external hard drive connector (I don't know if it will be active or not)
HDMI connection with HDCP and it supports DD5.1 via HDMI cable.
1 Component connection.
Several regular video based connections.
One coax and one optical surround connection.

SD client boxes will have basic video connections and an optical surround connection.

HD client boxes will have both HDMI with HDCP with 5.1 support on HDMI cable. It will also support the basic video connections and component video connections as well. It will have either one optical surround connection or both an optical and coax connection but I don't know which of the two it will be.

Also both the SD and HD client boxes will have one USB 2.0 connection reserved for future use and that future use will be when all the client boxes will connect wirelessly without the need for a coax connection.

Now onto the software side.

All client boxes and the server can schedule and playback anything. The system will support internet scheduling only if the server is connection via wired or wireless connection to your home network that also requires an always on broadband connection.

The guide will be very fast and have a picture window showing both video and audio of the currently tuned channels in that room. The guide will have icons to tell you if the show is in HDTV and/or DD5.1 surround.

You can find shows by actor, title, director, genre, keyword, HDTV and DD5.1.

You can setup the box to record a show in these ways below.

All episodes on this channel.
All episodes on this channel in this time slot.
All episodes on any channel in any time slot.
All episodes on any channel this this time slot.
All new episodes on this channel.
All new episodes on this channel in this time slot.
All new episodes on any channel in any time slot.
All new episodes on any channel in this time slot.

It will record the show based on the shows name not what time if comes on or its channel but you can tell it to only record a new episode on just the HD channel via the OTA or only the HD satellite local channel.

If the timeslot changes it will notice it because it looks for the show only.

The guide will be either 10 or a 14 day guide.

You can also give priority to what season episodes you want recorded in case of a conflict.

The server will allow music, video and photos to be played back on all boxes if the server is connected to your home network.

Also I'm hearing rumors that D* for customers connected via their home network to a broadband connection might have the options for the following below. Also everything above is not rumor but what I'm going to say below is a rumor and may not occur but is being looked at.

It seems that talking has been taking place for Napster, Rhapsody, MSN Music and Yahoo Music to be supported so all music as part of the subscription plans can be played back via the HMC.

One cool thing I'm hearing is that some type of marketing deal is being worked on between Yahoo Launch and DirecTV so DirecTV would get revenue from this. But it seems that maybe DirecTV HMC customers might soon get the ability to playback any music video and launchcast radio station on any TV set in the home using a nice desinged interface for HMC customers.

I just keep thinking about what this system could turn out to be.

WOW! Longhorn! If all this is true(excluding the Rumor), I cant wait for this HMC. At first I was just going to get the Basic Mpeg4 box but now with all the options you mention, I think I will opt in for that HMC when its available. We are talking about a Major toy!!! :D

LonghornXP said:
I don't think they want D* or Murdock to challenge them because if they do they will lose and have to pay D* court fees and endup being so far in debt that they would need to be bought out.

I could see them getting bought out due to legal fees of their own but not d* legal fees. This isn't a loser pay system, unless D* counter sues for legal fees tivo won't have to pay for them. This is one reason we need tort reform. If people keep abusing the system they should have to pay. This is a legitimate lawsuit unlike 75% of medical malpractice or corporate liability lawsuits. Sorry a little rant on the current legal system.

S

On another note, The HMC sounds incredible. But I still don't know how the multi room HD works? Ovbiously there is an HDMI port in the main room on the main box, how do you send the HD signal to other rooms? I have 3 HD TVs in my house and want it on every TV. Is it a coax connection to the client boxes?

EDIT

Am I going to need 7 Coax cables into my living room? 4 DTV Tuners, 1 Antenna, and 2 Coax Outputs to other rooms?

That sounds like a lot of Coax to run. But hey it would be worth it if it works as well as it is predicted.

Spin said:
On another note, The HMC sounds incredible. But I still don't know how the multi room HD works? Ovbiously there is an HDMI port in the main room on the main box, how do you send the HD signal to other rooms? I have 3 HD TVs in my house and want it on every TV. Is it a coax connection to the client boxes?

EDIT

Am I going to need 7 Coax cables into my living room? 4 DTV Tuners, 1 Antenna, and 2 Coax Outputs to other rooms?

That sounds like a lot of Coax to run. But hey it would be worth it if it works as well as it is predicted.

I'm hearing it will connect like this below.

The new dish itself will have 4 outputs which will go into a multiswitch like the current dish and 5x8 multiswitch.

Now say you have 4 total rooms which will consist of one server and three client boxes this is how you would hook this up.

The server will get 4 runs from the multiswitch.
Each of the three client boxes would get one run each from the multiswitch.
Now I'm hearing by different people that the server would require 2 and 4 lines from a multiswitch but as of now I don't know which of the two is corrent. Just so you know the client boxes don't need a cable run directly from the server just from the multiswitch. This new multiswitch is going to have sometype of router, access point, gateway or something along those lines so all the boxes can talk back and forth over existing coax cabling.

Also the client boxes can view HDTV because it will get a direct feed from the dish and the HD client will have both an HDMI with HDCP and component outputs on it. So if you watch a recorded show from the server on one of the client boxes the client can access the server over existing coax cables by using the multiswitch to direct the client towards the server.

Spin said:
I could see them getting bought out due to legal fees of their own but not d* legal fees. This isn't a loser pay system, unless D* counter sues for legal fees tivo won't have to pay for them. This is one reason we need tort reform. If people keep abusing the system they should have to pay. This is a legitimate lawsuit unlike 75% of medical malpractice or corporate liability lawsuits. Sorry a little rant on the current legal system.

S

Tivo doesn't have a legitimate lawsuit because their patent wouldn't be legitimate in the DirecTV case. Tivo only as a patent on the underworkings of how their features work but Tivo wants their cake and eat it too by saying that because they have the patent for season pass that no company can offer the specific ability to record new shows only and so on and so forth. Tivo is trying to make their patent cover the idea of the season pass and that is what D* is willing to sue over and they will have a legitimate reason to sue and countersue for their court costs. Now with that said Tivo isn't suing because they know they will lose but I was saying this only to shut up the people who keep saying D* can't offer this because Tivo has a patent which they don't at least not on the idea.

Also keep in fact that TIVO is built off an open source code (Linux) Therefore the software is supposed to be "free" but you pay for the service/support that is provided by the authoring company.

If you don't believe me, the source code is here. http://www.tivo.com/linux/linux.asp

LonghornXP said:
I'm hearing it will connect like this below.

The server will get 4 runs from the multiswitch...

Now I'm hearing by different people that the server would require 2 and 4 lines from a multiswitch but as of now I don't know which of the two is corrent.

Well, this is the only bad thing I've hear so far. The early rumors were that the HMC would work off a single coax. I knew it sounded too good to be true.

As for 2 vs 4 lines, perhaps it can run with 2, but would need 4 to take advantage of all 4 tuners. Sheer speculation here, but it could be somewhat like the current Dtivo running with either 1 or 2 coax lines. I could see where D* put in the option to run in a crippled mode for those people who cannot easily run 2 or 3 additional cables.

Thanks again LonghornXP.

fkostyn said:
Also keep in fact that TIVO is built off an open source code (Linux) Therefore the software is supposed to be "free" but you pay for the service/support that is provided by the authoring company.
TiVo, and anyone who modifies GPL source code is required to supply the code for free.

However, this has nothing to do with their software/gui that runs on Linux. If someone releases source code under the GPL, subsequent changes that 3rd parties make must release their source. If someone writes software that runs ON a GPL'd kernel/etc (TiVo's Myworld/gui), you can license it in any way you see fit. Obviously TiVo will keep this part proprietary.

--falz

LonghornXP said:
MmmKay on to the specific features.

Hardware features will include the following below.
350 or 400GB hard drive.
4 D* tuners which can support both HD and SD in both MPEG 2 and 4 formats and can support all satellite locations.
2 LG 5th generation OTA ATSC tuners (only needs one antenna connection).

2 USB 2.0 ports.
1 external hard drive connector (I don't know if it will be active or not)
HDMI connection with HDCP and it supports DD5.1 via HDMI cable.
1 Component connection.
Several regular video based connections.
One coax and one optical surround connection.

:bow Now I just hope they actually DO lease this box so I can have one. I imagine it would cost at least $1,000.

Longhorn, thanks for the info. I just have three questions that I havent seen answers to yet, but may have overlooked:

1) Will internet scheduling be available if you just have one SD box?
2) What is the estimated cost for an SD box and the service...same as Tivo?
3) Will SD boxes be able to record in mpeg 2 and mpeg 4

tmbstone said:
Longhorn, thanks for the info. I just have three questions that I havent seen answers to yet, but may have overlooked:

1) Will internet scheduling be available if you just have one SD box?
2) What is the estimated cost for an SD box and the service...same as Tivo?
3) Will SD boxes be able to record in mpeg 2 and mpeg 4

Only the multiroom HMC will support internet scheduling. They will have a basic SD DVR that will be from NDS that will have similiar features to current Directivos with no DVR service fees and it should be the same price as current Directivos or less.

Current and new SD DVRs and boxes will still only support MPEG2. No planned MPEG4 support is expected on SD boxes and SD DVR boxes.

I've heard that the HMC would use 1, 2 or 4 direct cable runs to it becuas which of those three it will have is anyones guess but I've heard all three options from varios contacts.

Also this system is expected to cost about 500 bucks for the server and about 50 bucks for each client if you purchased it upfront without renting it. I've also heard that for three and four room customers at least the new ones but I'm sure existing ones can get this deal that they would give upto three client boxes for free with the purchase of the 500 dollar server with a one year agreement.

Now the free clients would be SD clients but the HD clients might cost a little bit more since they will have a sat decoder in them for live TV and all the outputs and such.

hey longhorn maybe this has been posted somewhere... but i have 1 RCA D* HD receiver one r10, one Hughes 80gig DVR and one D10

Basicly what ill need is the server, 1 more HD client (long story) and 1 SD client (possibly 2 in the future) have you caught wind of what kind fo a deal we could get with equipment as such?

ShadowEKU said:
hey longhorn maybe this has been posted somewhere... but i have 1 RCA D* HD receiver one r10, one Hughes 80gig DVR and one D10

Basicly what ill need is the server, 1 more HD client (long story) and 1 SD client (possibly 2 in the future) have you caught wind of what kind fo a deal we could get with equipment as such?

Well lets plan for the future now. Just to make sure I understand this you said in the future you might need the following below.

Server
1 HD client
1 SD client
Now what I'm not sure about is if you might have another 2 SD clients in the future or just one more SD client.

What I need to know is if you will have in the future 3 SD clients or just two SD clients.

The reason I ask is because 5 boxes versus 4 total makes a big deal. If you need 5 boxes you would need to get another server as that fifth box.

So if you need five rooms you would be best getting a server instead of your one HD client box so you would have two total servers plus 3 SD client boxes.

Your best bet with this system would be to rent it and see what you can trade in towards programming credits.

Now if you only need 4 total rooms even in the future you would get one server, one HD client and two SD client boxes.

You can always rent this and get programming credits for whatever you may have to trade-in.

You can also use any programming credits to use towards the outright purchase of the HMC setup.

Now if you want to buy it upfront this would be about what it would cost you without getting any programming credits but you would need a one year agreement of course.

Server would cost about 500 bucks. You would get the two SD client boxes for free. The HD client boxes would cost you anywhere between free and 100 or so bucks. For your system I would think that about 600 would be the right price. Also keep in mind that because most will be renting it D* would be making more thus reducing their price per unit thus resulting in lower purchase prices for customers wanting to buy it outright. The more this product takes off the cheaper it would be to buy in the future.

Longhorn, Thanks for all the great info as always! I really appreciate the info about the wiring setup for the new HMC. Can you please keep us up to date as you find out more on this subject? I'm sure I'm not the only one trying to draw out plans for a home re-wire, and lord knows I only want to do this once!

You left out the LAN setup

READ:

You can't get the internet connectivity or file sharing in the system using COAX only. If you have a network, you'll be able to tie the entire system together over CAT5 without the multiswitch. The multiple USB ports provided are there for a reason and will require such a USB 2.0 to Fast Ethernet adapter.

The entire system is plug-and-play just like any other 10/100 device. I strongly suggest using a separate switch - not a hub for the the HMC because you'll want the system to talk to itself faster than it talks to the rest of the LAN.

In any case, the demo media sharing product at Ucentric was LAN based but don't go buying support equipment until finalized. The system may support up to 7 locations whihc would require an 8 port vs. 5 port switch.

cr0mag said:
Longhorn, Thanks for all the great info as always! I really appreciate the info about the wiring setup for the new HMC. Can you please keep us up to date as you find out more on this subject? I'm sure I'm not the only one trying to draw out plans for a home re-wire, and lord knows I only want to do this once!

I know what you mean and I just wish I could tell you all exactly what it would need. Also I won't be available to answer any questions for most of July since I'll be away from any internet connection.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts