Home Media showing non-existant files

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
I have a very strange problem that has been driving me crazy for the past few hours. When I use Home Media on my Hopper to look for music on my PC, it is showing 2 copies of every song. I am able to verify 1 copy as the MP3 file in my music folder and that version plays fine on the Hopper, but there are no other copies of the file anywhere on my drive. Somehow the Hopper is showing an extra copy with album artwork, but that 2nd version doesn't work if I try to play it. Does anyone know where it could possibly be picking the invalid information up from?

I finally figured it out. Windows Media Player had invalid entries in my library for all the songs. Once I cleared and re-created my library in Windows Media Player then it got rid of the duplicates.

It would be so nice if Dish had just implemented a media player via network shares, rather than all this unnecessary DLNA garbage which I've never got to work at all.

It would be so nice if Dish had just implemented a media player via network shares, rather than all this unnecessary DLNA garbage which I've never got to work at all.
I have had good luck with Media Monkey Server running on my PC. It is much more responsive on the Hopper than the standard Windows Media share and Media Monkey can even transcode files on the fly.

One thing that I've found that works well with Home Media is the HWS recognizing the files recorded by Eye TV from my HD Home Run. Files recorded on Eye TV on my I-Mac play back perfectly on the HWS.

Larry
SF

I have had good luck with Media Monkey Server running on my PC. It is much more responsive on the Hopper than the standard Windows Media share and Media Monkey can even transcode files on the fly.

I've never heard of that, so maybe I'll try it sometime when I have nothing better to do and nobody else is using the TV.

However, it appears that the free version doesn't transcode.

I've never heard of that, so maybe I'll try it sometime when I have nothing better to do and nobody else is using the TV.

However, it appears that the free version doesn't transcode.
I think you are right. I bought a license to get a few extra features.

I finally got around to trying MediaMonkey. I was surprised to see that it didn't cause the Hopper to hesitate, freeze, or crash like all the previous things I've tried. I was also glad that the Hopper plays FLAC files, because my other satellite box doesn't. However, the Hopper plays virtually none of my MKV files. Most of them are h264 video and AC3 audio, which I thought the Hopper was supposed to support! A long time ago, I had a problem with a standalone media player not playing them because of some problem with the headers -- I have no idea what it was -- but a software update solved that, and I haven't had any problems playing such MKVs on anything else since, until now. Dish really needs to get its act together on media playback, because transcoding is lame, I don't care how much CPU power I have -- what if I had them on a networked drive without transcoding ability?!