Home Network IP

sam_gordon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Lexington, ky
Is there a way to find out what my home IP address is when connected to DishAnywhere?

This is not a problem with Dish, but I'm trying to work around another problem using Dish. I can connect to my DVR via DishAnywhere, but I'm trying to find out what IP address it's going to so I can access my home network.

I would PM a DIRT member but no one is online right now.

I don't believe so.

Would setting up a Dyn.com account work? It creates a subdomain (such as homecomputer.getmyip.com) that routes to your home IP address. If you have a dynamic IP address (meaning it changes every so often), you can download a program that runs on a computer and automatically updates your subdomain to map to your new IP address. Some routers will also update it as well.

I don't believe so.

Would setting up a Dyn.com account work? It creates a subdomain (such as homecomputer.getmyip.com) that routes to your home IP address. If you have a dynamic IP address (meaning it changes every so often), you can download a program that runs on a computer and automatically updates your subdomain to map to your new IP address. Some routers will also update it as well.
I set up a dyn.com account. I downloaded their updater and it failed to update. I'm not very happy with them right now. So now I'm at work with no way to get my IP until I get home.

Go to http://speedtest.net, your IP is lower left corner of graphic.

Those would work assuming I was on my home network. However, I'm at work.

Sounds like you want to know your home IP address when you are not home. First, it should not change too often. You can get (free I believe) a DnyDns.org account if your router supports it. When you get the account it gives you an address that you enter in the dynamic DNS section of your router. (Again, if it supports it) You then can go to DynDNS.org and get what your current IP address at home. Your router reports via the address you enter.

There are other ways, but not if you don't use any of them, such as a Slingbox, or a IP camera that report what IP address they are on.

(EDIT - I posted while you did)

You mentioned an updater - if you are using the site I am, I just go there to get my current IP if needed.

I'm old school, so I open a DOS shell ( Command Prompt ) in Windows and type the following...

ipconfig -all

This will get you information in your local network, not your ISP.

You can use pathping or tracert to identify all server information between host and client. You DO need to provide a destination IP name or address so it can trace the route.

These are DOS commands for Windows only. You'll need similar device-based apps to do this on iPad or Android.

The best thing to do is to " lock " all of your devices connected to your home network to a static IP. Lock your router to a static IP as well. They'll never change, so you would know what they are.

Last edited:
Tampa, I am using dyndns, and I downloaded their "DynDNS Updater for Windows". When it works, it's great. My problem is it only works for about 36 hours and then doesn't update any more unless I go into the program and click 'update'. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it had hung up this morning before heading out. I got into work and found out I couldn't connect to my home.

I contacted my ISP and finally got someone to tell me what the IP had changed to (I couldn't look at dyndns.com because it had the old IP address). I did change the IP address at dyndns.com to reflect the new one and all was good... for a few hours. Now I can't connect again. I'm just waiting until I can get home and do a "manual" update and hope it holds up. If you're using dyndns, can you tell me what software you're using to update their servers with your IP?

I just thought since I can use DishAnywhere to access my DVR (which it must do over the internet), I might be able to find out what the IP had changed to.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I'm old school, so I open a DOS shell ( Command Prompt ) in Windows and type the following...

ipconfig -all

You can use pathping or tracert to identify all server information between host and client. You DO need to provide a destination IP name or address so it can trace the route.

These are DOS commands for Windows only. You'll need similar device-based apps to do this on iPad or Android.

The best thing to do is to " lock " all of your devices connected to your home network to a static IP. Lock your router to a static IP as well. They'll never change, so you would know what they are.
That might be what I end up doing, but a static IP from my ISP is $15/month and I'm a cheap bastard.

Tampa, I am using dyndns, and I downloaded their "DynDNS Updater for Windows". When it works, it's great. My problem is it only works for about 36 hours and then doesn't update any more unless I go into the program and click 'update'. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it had hung up this morning before heading out. I got into work and found out I couldn't connect to my home.

I contacted my ISP and finally got someone to tell me what the IP had changed to (I couldn't look at dyndns.com because it had the old IP address). I did change the IP address at dyndns.com to reflect the new one and all was good... for a few hours. Now I can't connect again. I'm just waiting until I can get home and do a "manual" update and hope it holds up. If you're using dyndns, can you tell me what software you're using to update their servers with your IP?

I just thought since I can use DishAnywhere to access my DVR (which it must do over the internet), I might be able to find out what the IP had changed to.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Ok, I see you are using the program for Windows, not directly from the Router. If your router does not support it then you are doing all you can. I never had to use their updater program luckily both my Routers support them directly.

ipconfig -all

He's looking for his IP address connection to his ISP since it changes from time to time..... and when he's not home not so easy.

That might be what I end up doing, but a static IP from my ISP is $15/month and I'm a cheap bastard.

That should be something you can do at home in your modem, router settings, and device settings. I guess your ISP is doing something fishy with your cable or DSL modem. If you are connected with a router, then you can set everything to static from there. I have a LinkSys router, so I can access my router settings through a browser by typing in its IP address, which will be the Default Gateway when using ipconfig. I don't know how your home network is set up though nor how Hopper/Sling integrates with it.

He's looking for his IP address connection to his ISP since it changes from time to time..... and when he's not home not so easy.

Yes. Have to use DynDNS for that. So much easier to set everything up in my home network to static addresses. I have several computers which also run VM's, so I set the VM's under a different IP range. All my A/V gear have their own addresses as well. You get 255 to use so might as well use them. LOL

Last edited:
Something you could look into is a Windows Home Server box. You can setup a domain name xxxxx.homeserver.com for free and it updates to your IP address as needed. I know that doesn't help you right not, but might be a way to help in the future.

Now I'm really confused. I can get to the web pages, but I can't ping (IP or host name) nor FTP (through two different programs). Oh well, I'll be home in little over an hour.

I set up a dyn.com account. I downloaded their updater and it failed to update. I'm not very happy with them right now. So now I'm at work with no way to get my IP until I get home

Those would work assuming I was on my home network. However, I'm at work.

I have an account with no-ip.com. They have a free service but it has to be updated every month. I think I paid 14.00 for 2 years. I use it to monitor IP cameras when I'm away from home and it works great.

Just to update... this turned into a couple issues...

1) When I got home, I couldn't remote into the web server (I use Remote Desktop from another computer on the same network). The web server WAS working (I could access the pages on it), but I couldn't get into the box to do any maintenance. So I rebooted the box.
2) After I rebooted, I found the IP Updater program from Dyndns hadn't accurately changed IPs early in the morning (which I knew). BUT, I also found out the box had done an automatic Windows update at some point early in the morning and rebooted on its own. I then disabled the automatic windows updates. I'm guessing there's a connection between the automatic windows update and the IP update program not running correctly.

On someone else's suggestion, I loaded TeamViewer on the web server computer. I can now connect to the web server from my phone or my Kindle Fire. That doesn't rely on the IP being updated, so I should have a "safety" way in to the box.

And for what it's worth, my home IP address is changing as often as every 20 minutes, which makes no sense to me. Yes, a static IP would be the way to go, but $15/month is ridiculous IMO. $15/year I'd be willing to pay. But again, I'm a cheap bastard. :D

Just to update... this turned into a couple issues...

1) When I got home, I couldn't remote into the web server (I use Remote Desktop from another computer on the same network). The web server WAS working (I could access the pages on it), but I couldn't get into the box to do any maintenance. So I rebooted the box.
2) After I rebooted, I found the IP Updater program from Dyndns hadn't accurately changed IPs early in the morning (which I knew). BUT, I also found out the box had done an automatic Windows update at some point early in the morning and rebooted on its own. I then disabled the automatic windows updates. I'm guessing there's a connection between the automatic windows update and the IP update program not running correctly.

On someone else's suggestion, I loaded TeamViewer on the web server computer. I can now connect to the web server from my phone or my Kindle Fire. That doesn't rely on the IP being updated, so I should have a "safety" way in to the box.

And for what it's worth, my home IP address is changing as often as every 20 minutes, which makes no sense to me. Yes, a static IP would be the way to go, but $15/month is ridiculous IMO. $15/year I'd be willing to pay. But again, I'm a cheap bastard. :D
I started to suggest Teamviewer but it has to be running all the time to be able to use it. Evidently the ISP you are using has a shifting dynamic IP address system. Computers calling out will have no problem w/ that. Calling in though will w/o a doubt will be a problem. It is what I thought was happening w/ your work network but turns out it is your ISP doing it. This is pretty standard operating procedure So when one goes off line that IP is moved to someone else that needs it. You now will have to restart Teamviewer every time that Win update is run and it needs to reboot. With W7 & 8 the PC's don't always have to reboot after updates depending on what it was that was updated.

But Teamviewer doesn't require knowing the IP at the remote side, so why would Teamviewer need to restart when the IP gets refreshed?

Also, I'm used to Dynamic IP's "releasing" when the computer disconnects. However, the IP should be (if I understand correctly) "held" by my router which stays connected 24/7 (barring a power outage), so changing IP's every 20 minutes doesn't make sense to me.

I could be wrong about both statements I'll readily admit.

Yes, my IP holds sometimes for weeks if my Router stays connected. Also confused why it changes that often.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts