Homeplug Broadband Setup

tarq476

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2007
I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. I've read all of the old threads on homeplug here and Dish support doesn't seem to know homeplug exists.

I bought a Netgear homeplug adapter (1.0 compatible) and hooked it up to my router directly to the wall. Currently neither of my receivers (722k and 222k) can connect to this. I made sure that they are both connected directly to the wall.

It seems in other threads that many people had this work right out of the box. Anyone have an idea on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Adam

Update

So I've been tooling around with things. I tried to use the other homeplug adapter and then plug an ethernet cord into the back of the receiver. This worked, but the box without this still will not recognize the network! This tells me that there is a connection now running through my powerline. I also set up the utility and it only recognizes the other homeplug adapter, not the receiver plugged directly to the wall. I'm baffled, is there a way to activate the adapters in the receivers? Any ideas are appreciated.

set both boxes nett to one another, plug in same outlet.

if they dont find one another you have a bad box, although i do believe theres a preferce setting for finding one another..

sorry i dont know more i have just started messing with this

you could run ethernet cable to both boxes, might be easy fix.

me? i want to minimize cabling around here

I use 3 Netgear wall warts. One on the back wall of the family room connected to my Netgear WRN3500 router. One on the front wall of the family room behind the entertainment center that my Panny BluRay is plugged into. One upstairs for another computer. One 622 is plugged into an APC UPS on the same outlet as the Panny. The other 622 is in the bedroom plugged into another APC UPS. Everything works. The router finds them all and the 622s both show Broadband connects OK. I know the Homeplug dingus on the 622 isn't supposed to work in a surge protector but mine do. And I've seen a few others who have the same luck. Maybe APC just didn't bother to get the Homeplug cert. All I know is mine work. And all I had to do was plug them in. The router is new and when I plugged it in it found everything all by it's lil self.

tarq476, For the homeplug adapter to work, both devices have to be on the same "power leg". If the 2 AC outlets are on different circuits, the homeplug adapters will not be able to find each other. Try Bob Haller's suggestion to see if your device works. If it works when plugged in to the same outlet, then most likely the 2 AC outlets that you are trying to use are on different circuits.

Last edited:
gfci may interfere with the homeplug technology. There are two options you have that will require some Sherlocking on your part... One would be to find 3 outlets on the same leg and adjust your setup accordingly... you can go to menu 6 1 8 on both receivers to see if they are able to communicate with each other... then menu 6 1 9 1 and press reset connection. This should pick up your homeplug devices.

The other option is to have an electrician alter the wiring at the breaker box to put all of your devices on the same leg, and follow the above steps.

Hope this helps

Have the same exact problem, viz. 722 and 722K not working with this. I have a 622 that is working fine, via its internal ethernet decoder, it is simply plugged directly into a wall socket. But I have never been able to get the 722 or 722K to work with the ethernet. I tried using a NetGear powerline adapter with ethernet cable direct to the box, no joy. And contacting DISH was a total waste of time:mad:

Have the same exact problem, viz. 722 and 722K not working with this. I have a 622 that is working fine, via its internal ethernet decoder, it is simply plugged directly into a wall socket. But I have never been able to get the 722 or 722K to work with the ethernet. I tried using a NetGear powerline adapter with ethernet cable direct to the box, no joy. And contacting DISH was a total waste of time:mad:[/QUOT

try plugginmg in both boxes to the same outlet or run a extension cord between them to see if it helps

wonder how much line length matters?

wires buried in walls if disected can be extremely long.

for a electrician the long way around is often far easier and cheaper than the short route.....

Is the model of device that you have faster than 85Mbsp? If so it will not work with DISH Homeplug. I have ordered the POWERLINE AV ADAPTER KIT with ETHERNET SWITCH XAVB1004 – 200Mbsp, so I will have to use a cable to connect but I will have 200Mbps available to everything in my systems.

If I am going to spend the money, might as well get some for it.

Personally, I avoid the phoneline charge and long ethernet cable runs by using wireless routers in repeater mode to get coverage to my entire house, and one repeater router connected to my 722. Wireless N routers that support repeater mode have gotten pretty cheap and have great range, might check it out, can probably do it for $40-$50.

I've got a SlinkLink connected at my router and another at my 722 two levels away. I went this route to enable the Dish Sling Guide (now apparently being called "Dish Remote Access": https://dish.sling.com/) and all has worked quite well. Plus I don't need a phone line connected to that 722.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)