Honest opinions of DirecTV vs Dish......

MikeD-C05 said:
Because if they had to admit that Dish had more hd and a better hd service now , they would have to admit that they made a mistake by choosing their sat provider. So they make excuses and say" be patient , good things will come if you wait."

I can compare it to the Weapons of mass destruction that was supposed to be over in Iraq. Over 50% of Americans still believe that there were WMDs over in Iraq so they can justify the war over there and their faith in the president. Even though all reports have said there were no WMDS over in Iraq at the begining of the new Iraq war. We have been there over 3 years and we still haven't found them. " Be patient, We will find them if you wait ....." Same rationale.

Why would some not just try DISH HD as we all have made an investment to have the latest in A/V equipment? Sure they may then cancel it or D* ( I would think) and pay a cancellation fee of $200 or so, but then know they have the best (and much more) HD for the next year? They didn't make a mistake in their purchase, just like in computers, it's called Moore's Law and in 18 months it's all new again.
I added DISH to my DirecTV set-up as I did the original VOOM HD. I thought I would then cancel it when DirecTV caught up. Well that was over a year ago, and now that may be another year for that to take place. Others say it is only TV, so why did the invest in HD, not to use it?

Very pleased with DISH HD programing and their VIP 622 HD DVR. Hope this helps others to try them now and enjoy today and not wait another year.

Last edited:
:D :D I could just repeat what everybody has said. I also had D* for over a year. Got tired of the lack of more HD content. As somebody said above some high core D* TV fans keep saying "have patient, D* will catchup". It almost feels like loyalty to a cult! :rolleyes: I have no loyalty to either D* or Dish and I'll go with whomever gives me the best deal now! Because I wanted more HD RIGHT NOW (and actually paying the same!) I switch back to Dish. If D* does catch up in a year and then have more I'll switch back! GOtta love competition (which right now, D* is lacking!).

I like the 622, though I'd prefer if I had it all for myself instead of using TV1 and TV2!(yep, I"m gready!!!) :D Now, maybe I have a faulty unit, but the darn thing has lost pic over three times on Sunday (a day after instalation!) but it has been behaving since then.

Programming is great (where else can you watch old classics like Flipper; UFO and Thurnderbirds???? :D :D ) and pic quality is way better than D* for both HD and SD. Even for OTA it looks better than what I had with my HD Tivo OTA, if that makes any sense???

I'd just say: go for it!! Make sure you called them a few time (play CSR roullete) to get a good deal. I got it all for $200 (including a second dish installed); free showtime for 3 months; and $20 back for 10 months.

Good luck!

I'm also a very happy recent convert to Dish! Had D* with the SD Tivo for several years, and while the Tivo interface is quite nice (in layout, not speed), I simply got sick of watching over-compressed SD on our 50" DLP. However my wife was quite attached to the Tivo. So I waited and waited for a better option to come along, but Comcast seemed to be the only (future) choice because in the long run they are the only ones who will sell a true Tivo. Yet there's no telling when they will actually have it, or how good it will be. Plus Comcast has many other issues. And D* simply stinks now (unless you're a huge sports fan), and their new DVRs leave much to be desired.

In making this decision, I would say it was 50% driven by the DVR quality, and 50% driven by HD offerings.

So after watching the ViP622 hit the market and waiting for most of the bugs to get resolved (which they now are), I finally convinced the wife and we pulled the trigger a few weeks ago. I was immediately pleased with the results. My wife, on the other hand, had a pretty rough time transitioning to the new DVR interface, and at first was very unhappy with it. But a couple of weeks later, she's a fan. She now knows that almost every Tivo feature is there, and then some, but it's just accessed differently. It is less intuitive than the Tivo, but it works every time, and once you learn the shortcuts, you're golden. And she loves being able to watch the same recorded programming upstairs on the 2nd TV. However to this day she doesn't see a significant difference in PQ between HD and SD. But I sure do. And just last night I was at a friend's house watching D* HD on their HD Tivo, and I must say, it looked pretty lousy compared to E*. Even the Voom channels, which are HD-Lite, look terrific on our TV.

The other consideration for my wife was the audio channels. D* has XM, which she likes, but now she actually prefers the Sirius on E*. E* also has a set of their own audio channels. And I think they all sound MUCH better than D*'s. D*'s audio channels sound worse than AM, I s**t you not.

If I were you, I'd definitely go for it.

The only thing that Directv has now that Dish doesn't is NFL Sunday ticket. The rest Dish has and does it better with better picture quality on both sd and especially on HD. Oh and they are much cheaper than Directv on their combined programming packs.

1) They have more movie channels in both sd and Hd.
2) They have up to 29 hd channels in their hd package including 15 Voom channels.
3) They have more music channels from Muzak to Sirius satellite radio.
4) They have more local cities in sd and they are fast approaching in hd on the major cities.
5) They have an hd mpeg 4 dvr that WORKS and has been out since February, while Directv doesn't .
6) They also have more adult programming that you can subscribe to not just buy pay per view.
7) They also allow you to just sub to locals or premium movie channels , superstations - less value now since Wb is now CW and no more Upn, if you own your equipment. THey allow several channels as ALA - Carte.
8) If you have Dish you can also get SKY ANGEL services added with a second dish for 61.5 which you need for hd programming as well. It is a seperate sat service for religious families and you could add the Family pack from Dish with your locals for not to much more . Dish's family pack is significantly cheaper than Directvs.

Like I said the only thing Directv has that Dish doesn't is NFL Sunday Ticket. I don't know why anyone would base their programming choice for the whole year on about 4 months of Sports programming especially at the high price they charge.:confused:

Last edited:
MikeD-C05 said:
Because if they had to admit that Dish had more hd and a better hd service now , they would have to admit that they made a mistake by choosing their sat provider. So they make excuses and say" be patient , good things will come if you wait."

I can compare it to the Weapons of mass destruction that was supposed to be over in Iraq. Over 50% of Americans still believe that there were WMDs over in Iraq so they can justify the war over there and their faith in the president. Even though all reports have said there were no WMDS over in Iraq at the begining of the new Iraq war. We have been there over 3 years and we still haven't found them. " Be patient, We will find them if you wait ....." Same rationale.

Mike, don't be blind on your part. WMD have been found. Just do a search

I just switched from D* to Dish yesterday. I love everything except for the fact that my guide data on all my locals is now gone with the 622 box. How can this box be so high tech and do all this wonderful things and not be able to access the guide data from the locals like my 2yr old Directv box??! I called up Dish and they said I had to set it like an old VCR to DVR anything on the digital off air locals. I have 30 days to see if I can live with guessing what is on my main HD channels. But this is one thing to consider if switching.

MikeD-C05 said:
The only thing that Directv has now that Dish doesn't is NFL Sunday ticket. The rest Dish has and does it better with better picture quality on both sd and especially on HD. Oh and they are much cheaper than Directv on their combined programming packs.

1) They have more movie channels in both sd and Hd.
2) They have up to 29 hd channels in their hd package including 15 Voom channels.
3) They have more music channels from Muzak to Sirius satellite radio.
4) They have more local cities in sd and they are fast approaching in hd on the major cities.
5) They have an hd mpeg 4 dvr that WORKS and has been out since February, while Directv doesn't .
6) They also have more adult programming that you can subscribe to not just buy pay per view.
7) They also allow you to just sub to locals or premium movie channels , superstations - less value now since Wb is now CW and no more Upn, if you own your equipment. THey allow several channels as ALA - Carte.
8) If you have Dish you can also get SKY ANGEL services added with a second dish for 61.5 which you need for hd programming as well. It is a seperate sat service for religious families and you could add the Family pack from Dish with your locals for not to much more . Dish's family pack is significantly cheaper than Directvs.

Like I said the only thing Directv has that Dish doesn't is NFL Sunday Ticket. I don't know why anyone would base their programming choice for the whole year on about 4 months of Sports programming especially at the high price they charge.:confused:

Mike just as a point DirecTV has more SD local channel markets then Dish. In HD locals DirecTV again has more and will continue to have more. However your are correct that DirecTV only advantage right now is NFL and RSN in HD. May not be much for most but to some its a lot.

Tulsapoke said:
I just switched from D* to Dish yesterday. I love everything except for the fact that my guide data on all my locals is now gone with the 622 box. How can this box be so high tech and do all this wonderful things and not be able to access the guide data from the locals like my 2yr old Directv box??! I called up Dish and they said I had to set it like an old VCR to DVR anything on the digital off air locals. I have 30 days to see if I can live with guessing what is on my main HD channels. But this is one thing to consider if switching.

You need to do a search on this issue, to find your answers. Do you pay for Locals from DISH? Welcome & Enjoy!

MikeD-C05 said:

Exactly, Murd Doc supporters I guess beLIEve in anything.

TulsaCoker said:
Mike, don't be blind on your part. WMD have been found. Just do a search

One of the "great" things about the internet is that you can find anything you want to find so you can believe what you need to believe. I would suggest reading the weapons inspectors report and try to pick your sources more carefully. Did we find some 500 chemical weapons shells? Sure. But we long knew that these battlefield discards were out there lying on the ground, useless as weapons. They are no more WMDs than the bleach and ammonia you can buy at the grocery store.

Rather than searching for someone to say what you want to hear, go to the most credible sources (in this case, the weapons inspectors themselves) and get the real facts. Your conclusions should be based on the data. When your conclusions come first, and you then search for data to support it, you can be sure your conclusions are going to be wrong.

As Mike pointed out, it is the need for some D* customers to believe their decision was right that drives them to ignore the data and stick to their conclusions regardless. I am not saying that this is an attribute specific to D* customers. If things were reversed, I'm sure many E* customers would be doing the same thing.

Sapient, there is always two sides to everything. In terms of D* vs. E* discussion does E* have more HD channels...No question. Does D* have more HD sports channels...No question. Is E* HD-PQ better...No question. Is E* HD-PQ excellent...no. Does D* have more Local HD channels...No queston. Is E* HD-DVR full-proof...No. Does D* have a Mpeg4 DVR...No. Which is better for someone? Each person needs to answer that question but to say D* offers nothing and E* is the only sat provider to use is ridicules. And just remember we are looking a specific moment in time. Not to long ago things were much different and they will be again.

Last edited:
Oh, I fully agree there are legitimate reasons to chose D* over E*. I think we are talking about those who rationalize a choice that is not best for themselves.

Sapient said:
Oh, I fully agree there are legitimate reasons to chose D* over E*. I think we are talking about those who rationalize a choice that is not best for themselves.

I think the only ones who worry about that are Dishnotwork installers and they should be the time is slipping away.:)

Last I heard, E* has more SD locals than D*. D* currently has more HD locals. Shouldn't matter much in any decision, unless it's not available in your area and you don't go with OTA.

I have to say that I am a happy D* customer. One thing that I have not heard mentioned in this thread is the customer retention dept. from D*. They have always gone above and beyond to keep me happy with what they can provide. I currently have two HD DVRs (Mpeg2 Tivos) with the first one almost free not including programming credits ($99 out of pocket) and the second one free ($0 out of pocket). I have read on the E* boards that E* is not quite as generous. They did require a 2 year commitment but I am happy with the sports options that D* can provide that E* can't. (HD MLB, NFL ST).

I wish they would release an Mpeg4 Tivo because of the buggy D* DVR. However both D* and E* are having problems with their DVR systems. (Why can't they just both license TIVO :)

Finally, when talking about HD-SD quality, I have accepted that SD will not look that good on any micro-displays (LCD-DLP-LCOS) for Cable, D*, and E*. OTA HD looks great so I am not at a disadvantage staying with D*. HD on D* may not be as good as HD on E* in terms of visual quality but I don't think the actual content is better. (i.e. I will not watch a bad program on VOOM just because it is in HD and looks better than D*) ....that is why I am willing to wait another year so we can start seeing better quality HD programming (in terms of content not picture) before thinking about actually switching.

dish has more hd yes but worthwhile hd i guess nationalgeo hd looks interesting but i bet its on a similar loop as discovery hd

1 channel isnt enough for me to switch
hdtivo is slow but its great user upgradable hdd
my hr10-250 can record 103 hours of hd or 693 hours of sd

dtv's equipment is fgar better excluding r15 h10 h20 as i have never seen one
but dtv wins hands down with customer service dtv doeas all they can and more to keep every customer they have happy
if youre so upset with dtv call customer retention explain yourself and see what they offer you im sure they do everything humanly possible to keep you a a customer
stick it out with dtv IMHO

soncaliente said:
...HD on D* may not be as good as HD on E* in terms of visual quality but I don't think the actual content is better. (i.e. I will not watch a bad program on VOOM just because it is in HD and looks better than D*) ....
Nope, I wouldn't either. But, I would watch a good program on VOOM (and there are good things on Monsters, Film Fest, Equator, even Kung Fu and World Cinema), over a good program in SD.

If a D* sub doesn't have an HD program that he wants to watch on Discovery, HDNET, etc., that's it. E* subs can still check the VOOM channels. I was able to see the whole 007 series last month in HD, and it kicked a**.

navychop said:
Last I heard, E* has more SD locals than D*. D* currently has more HD locals. Shouldn't matter much in any decision, unless it's not available in your area and you don't go with OTA.

Well going off of each respective web sites DirecTV lists 141 SD Local markets and Dish list 133 Local SD markets. HD local markets I think D* is at 36 while E* is at 24. I know D* plans to have 50 by the end of this year and almost all by the end of next year. Not sure about E* plans but I do know they are adding more but will not have as man as D*. In addition, D* is rolling out RSN and CW in each market. E* has stated they will by the end of the year have some RSN but do not mention this. To me it does not matter because I receive all OTA fine which leads to my final point. With all the talk about D* not having a Mpeg4 DVR to me it does not matter at this point since the Mpeg2 can record OTA HD signals.

Well guys, I ordered the Dish HD Platinum pack yesterday with locals and the HD DVR. They will be out Monday to install it. From what I've seen in the majority of the responces, I think I made a good chaoice. I live in the Tampa area, and can get the majority of my locals via OTA antenna, so that will take care of my locals in HD. I'm just anxious to compare the PQ. Thanks again.

Dish'n it up lease fee question, please advise...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)