Honest opinions of DirecTV vs Dish......

New poster with ancient equipment who's technologically dumb-here's my dilemma:

I'm thinking of switching from Directv back to Dish (picture quality, less storm interference, don't want to pay Directv $10 to dump HBO). I have a TiVo Series2, and plan on sticking with it for a couple of years (won't be upgrading to HD anytime in the future).

It looks like from Dish's site I would receive their 322 receiver.

Other useful info: I use a router connected to broadband to keep TiVo updated, rather than the phone line, use TiVo Desktop and software to burn DVDs, have a 5.1 surround sound system, DVD player, VCR connected....

Does this sound like it would be a smooth transition on the service, or does it sound like I'm trying to fix something that ain't so broke-meaning I may as well stick with Directv?

ilkevinli said:
You should not lose your signal in a rainstorm. I would check to make sure your dish is Aligned properley
I got a call today from a lady on the executive response team and she agreed that we should not loose the signal for the entire storm, plus a half hour after. She is sending a tech out to asses the situation and move the dish so it isn't aimed right at the only tree in my backyard. She is also addressing the no phone jack issue on the 625, I told her I was going to move it from one side of my daughter's room to the other and she said I shouldn't have to, the installer should have taken care of it, not telling me I didn't need it was not the correct action to take. She was very pleasant and knowledgeable, not because she agreed with me, but she didn't try to BS me like the other techs and CSRs that I spoke with when we didn't have a signal. She agreed that it is not a normal situation to not have a signal the entire time and it needs to be corrected. Thank you Jenny! Love Dish so far, great picture!

First of all, Tivo is a trademark of DireTv. Dish calls their service DVR or Dish on Demand. Dish may charge less for the same kind of service. Can't tell you about Vonage without more description. I know many people I have worked for LOVE their Tivo.
I have found that Dish DVR is less reliable, through service experience, but the key thing is that DTV HD with Tivo can be installed to watch one thing and record another. Dish does not until recently, and it's not the same. It's Quirky. Just a point to ponder.
Tell you what. If you are worried about HD content, then Dish rules, as they acquired Voom, which gives them the most HD channels available. However, if you have a HD Tivo that works reliably, I warn you of the possibility of getting bad equipment from Dish. Keep in mind I have friends that love their Dish HD, but look closely at your variety package and the channels in regular def that you may lose to get a good price. If HD is your sole consideration, then Dish has what you want. Just make sure it's worth trying to find out if the grass is greener on the other side. I'll tell you that one of my customers has 5 HD units from DTV, 4 with TIVO. They work great and I consulted them on whether to get Dish for their new construction. DTV is better for multiple outlets-Dish offers a discount for dual tuners connected to a phone line....Dish has more HD channels....DTV has more reliable equipment.* I can prove this after installing both and dealing with customers. Not to bag either company, because Dish is the leader in HD programing, but Rupprecht Murdoch who bought DTV will not be outdone for long. We'll see.
The only way to tell is to ask someone who has Dish HD and get their opinion. The companies offer almost the same for the same price.
Good Luck.
Tom

Dish'n it up lease fee question, please advise...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)