Hooking it all up....

bdiec482

Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
Hello Everyone!!!

Here is the scoop...I moved to Green Bay WI bought my first house, DISH network(I know....i should have gone with Direct TV, my bad), and my first HDTV a Phillips 30" widescreen.

Here is what I have a 7 speaker ONKYO Speaker system (front right, center, front left, rear right, rear center, rear left, and subwoofer). I have a Yamaha Receiver to bring everything together with component inputs and digital audio and all that stuff.

Now the big question is how to get all this crap to work together in the BEST possible way for both picture and sound.

I currently have the Satellite hooked up (obviously) and component video running from the satellite to the Phillips HDTV which gives me picture. I assume this is the best I can do w/o using the HighDef hookup because my DISH Network receiver is not a HD one. So that's video.

For Audio I have basic rca audio running from the Satellite receiver to the CBL/TV input on my Yamaha Receiver. This gives me the sound. I assume there must be a better way to hook up with audio with all this High Tech stuff. :D

My Toshiba DVD player is hooked up to my receiver via a optical wire for audio and an S-Video for video to my receiver. I think I need to run a wire from my Receiver to the TV to get picture and stuff and the optical wire will handle the audio. What would the best wire be for this?

I just need a pro like one of yourselves to say have this wire from here to here and this one here and so on. I would really appreciate this and if you ever get over to Green Bay i'd like to buy you a beer.

Thanks again,

Ben in Green Bay

Well we need to know what model Dish receiver you have. If it is one with digital optical out you would want to use that for sound. Depending on what outputs your DVD has you may want to use a diffrent cable for the Video. If you have the Red Blue and Green RCA connections on the back of your DVD player use thoes instead of the S-video.

Dave,

My DVD has the composite red blue and green. So I will use that for the video from DVD to TV. I assume the optical is the best line from DVD to Audio Receiver. Is this correct?

Are you saying in general... use the digital optical for sound when possible and composite video when possible? Is this the best possible set up without using the HD stuff because my DISH receiver is not HD?

Thanks for all the views and your reply. Lets keep em coming!!!

Ben in Green Bay

Yup you hit the nail on the head. The only better hook up for your tv would be a DVI cable for HD, but that is only if it is a short run. Some people still feel that the RBG is a better picture.

bdiec482, I need to correct you on the terminology. Composite video is the one yellow RCA jack for video. It is SD. Usually goes with the stereo audio RCA jacks (red and white). Component video refers to the three color video jacks. It is HD-compatible, but I don't think it's digital. Some people say that component video is better for HD CRT and rear projection TVs and DVI and HDMI are better for plasma, LCD, DLP, and other digital TVs.

Also, you want to go with digital audio as much as you can. I have optical Toslink from my CD changer and E* 4700 and a digital coaxial connection from the DVD player.

^ I thought that, too. In his very first post, in the E* forum, no less, he tells everyone it was a mistake. More than that, he said it like everyone here would treat him like a fool for having E*. If he feels that way, I guess I'm a fool, too.

I only said it was a mistake because I got all excited about High Definition when I bought my new Phillips HDTV and DISH network does not offer a whole lot of High Definition channels as of now. I wish the SD receiver had even component video to hook up to my HDTV, but it doesn't so I have to use S-Video.

Thanks for all the advice on hooking it up. Here is what I have right now...Onkyo Speakers (7), Yamaha Receiver, DISH receiver (S-Video going to TV, Optical Digital Sound going to receiver), Toshiba DVD (Component video going to TV, Optical Digital Sound going to receiver). That is the best set up that I can come up with for the time being. I just wish the DISH receiver had component video output. :confused:

On a side note, any reccomendations on running speaker wire through walls to hook up my rear right, center, and left surround speakers? I don't know how i'm going to tackle this project.

Thanks again,

Ben in Green Bay

If you have a finished house and no access above the ceiling space where it is going, get flat speaker wire and hide it under the carpet. If you have access above or below, just cut in your box and make appropriate holes in the wall spaces where you want the speakers

Dish Dude,

I can run the wire through my basement to the back walls, but how do I go up through the walls. I envision myself using a coat hanger if that is any indication about how clueless I am with this matter. I want to do it myself (little cash flow), but don't want to ruin my house either.

Thanks again,

Ben in Green Bay

Call someone that knows what they are doing. It takes special tools and it's not worth going out to buy them for 1 time use. Won't cost that much to have a couple of speaker lines run.

Ben: Get a long drill bit (4"+), drill thru the wall, attach the wire at the other side and pul it back through the wall or floor. Have done this often myself with phone lines etc.

Do yourself a favor and get an HD dish receiver also. I don't understand why so many people spend thousands on a widescreen HDTV then balk at paying an additional 120 dollars per year for HD programming to fully utilize the tv. Dish HD rocks! get the voom channels. some of those programs will make you wet yourself!

HD Poll

currently DISH does not offer an impressive line up for HD. I believe the person told me 5 channels other than the movie ones. Has anyone heard any buzz of them bulking up their HD lineup? Also, at any point in time can't a customer switch their programming at no cost?

Thanks everyone for your help,

Ben in Green Bay

Unless you are in contract, you can upgrade programming at no cost or downgrade for a $5 fee.

As for HD, you'll find more than enough threads and posts to give you an idea about how little we know. But the big announcement is coming due...

bdiec482 said:
currently DISH does not offer an impressive line up for HD. I believe the person told me 5 channels other than the movie ones. Has anyone heard any buzz of them bulking up their HD lineup? Also, at any point in time can't a customer switch their programming at no cost?

Thanks everyone for your help,

Ben in Green Bay
Actually I have both E*hd and D* hd they both have Hdnets, Espnhd, Hbo and Sho hd's and Discoveryhd... after that... D* has UHD and all the dnshd nets if you qualify.. E* has the Voom 10 pack (good pq imho) plus tnt hd... and Cbshd if you qualify... I get all of the E*hd pack and some of the D*... compare pq, right now E* is better and the Voompack is worth it to me... but apples and oranges.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)