Hooking up a third TV to a 622???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mraudit

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Omaha, NE
I am sure this has been asked before, but I could not find it. I have a 622 that is connected to my HDTV and a SD TV upstairs. What I would like to do, is hook up a third SD tv that is over a bar that is in close enough proximity to my HDTV. Is there a place on the back of the 622 that will allow me to run a cable from the box to the 3rd TV. I understand if I have to watch the same thing that is on my HDTV but that is cool.

Did I make that clear enough??

Put a splitter on the "Home Distribution" feed and run the extra cable to your third TV. Press MENU --> 6 --> 1 --> 5 to access your modulator setup, and there you can select a channel to output the TV1 SD signal on, as well as a different channel for the TV2 output.

just buy a coax splitter to to split the coax cable that goes upstairs. should be simple enough. then the same thing would be on both SD TVs.

you can also setup the 622 to output TV1 and TV2 over the coax cable on different channels. then you can tune either SD TV to the correct channel to watch TV1 or TV2 on either tv.

You can definitely get video to a different TV, but I think you'll run into problems if that second TV has a different aspect ratio from the first.

IE, HDTV and receiver are set to 16:9 on output #1, you're going to get "skinny" people when viewing that video output on a SD 4:3 TV. Your new TV may or may not have a widescreen or letterbox setting to compensate.

Splitting off the home distribution cable to the additional TV is the way to go, though. The picture will be a bit fuzzier, but you have the advantages of having an audio signal and being able to switch the channel and watch whatever is getting fed to your upstairs TV.

The RF signal is good enough for a small set with some aspect problems.

You might be able to get a better signal to a nearby set using the yellow-red-white cables for the composite signal on either TV1 or TV2 but the RF allows you to get both from the one coax.
-Ken

I send my component output all over the house with a component video amplifier/splitter. It is possible though in the future Dish may downres some channels over component, but I suspect mainly PPV and maybe premiums. Just keep the 622 at your main TV for HDMI and feed the component around to other TVs.

The other solution of course would be for Dish to have a way to copy programs from one DVR to another over ethernet or have the ability to move the external HDD eventually....

I am sure this has been asked before, but I could not find it. I have a 622 that is connected to my HDTV and a SD TV upstairs. What I would like to do, is hook up a third SD tv that is over a bar that is in close enough proximity to my HDTV. Is there a place on the back of the 622 that will allow me to run a cable from the box to the 3rd TV. I understand if I have to watch the same thing that is on my HDTV but that is cool.

Did I make that clear enough??

Actually, you did make it mostly clear enough.

What do you want to run from TV1--S-video or composite? I assume you're running HDMI to your HDTV. If you're running component directly to your HDTV, d'oh! You'll have to split your left and right channels (red/white cables) to go to your SDTV.

Personally, I would just use the NTSC/OTA signal for TV2 to send to both SDTV's to avoid any weirdness or strange cable runs/splitters. It works well, too! The only problem that occurs is when you record Skinemax/PPV adult programming on TV2, you broadcast naughty bits throughout the neighborhood. You don't want your neighbors complaining that you broadcast pr0n to their kids on channel 79.

The only problem that occurs is when you record Skinemax/PPV adult programming on TV2, you broadcast naughty bits throughout the neighborhood. You don't want your neighbors complaining that you broadcast pr0n to their kids on channel 79.
please clarify... if you run a coax line from the 'home distribution' connector to a TV somewhere else in the house, how are you broadcasting to the neighborhood exactly?

Allargon, please explain what you mean over the air. I live in small town Iowa, and do not get OTA stations. Are you saying the 622 will broadcast over the air signals that another TV could pick up with an antenna?

the OTA coax connection is seperate from the home distribution coax connection. you are not transmitting "through the air" when using the home distribution line afaik.

Allargon, please explain what you mean over the air. I live in small town Iowa, and do not get OTA stations. Are you saying the 622 will broadcast over the air signals that another TV could pick up with an antenna?

If just feed the 622 back into the OTA antenna feed, the 622's output will go to the antenna and be broadcast over the area. Yes it will be a weak signal, but houses around you could pick it up.

You need an insertion splitter where it takes 2 signals, combines them and sends them out the outputs without sending the signal back up the other input wire.

I have a coax from each 622 going back up to my attic where it is inserted in my antenna feed using an insertion splitter. This way every TV gets OTA antenna plus the feeds from the 622, without the signal heading back out the roof antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts