Hooking up local cable to 301 receiver

joeh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 15, 2004
Louisville, KY Aera
Hello, I was wondering if this could be done and if so how do you do it. I am going to be subscribing to the local cable company’s basic package to get some channels that only they offer. How do I/Can I hook the cable line up to the 301 receiver and how do I tune into those stations.
THANKS

So do you have a separate cable line ran to the spot of the receiver,or just the one for your satellite? If you have a separate cable line then you just need to insert it into the coaxial port on the back of your 301 labeled "antenna/cable". If you have just the one cable line for satellite,then you either need to run another cable line to the receiver from your cable box/line,,or use a couple of diplexors to send both sat & cable signals to the receiver. Perhaps some of the regular posters on here can post a diagram to help explain the diplexor set up?

As for tuning to your cable stations,you can A) turn off the 301 & watch cable channels,or B) use the tv/video button on your Dish remote to go back & forth between sat & cable,or C) run your satellite through a different input & tune to that input for sat,& antenna input for cable.

Chuckster's right on the hookups - details depend on objectives vs. ease of use. For example, some TVs have PIP with 2 separate coax inputs. That might be something you like. On the other hand, a simple daisy-chain might be easiest for your household.

Here's a primitive diplexer diagram:
Code:
Sat feed ------> Diplexer  ------//--------- Diplexer -------> Sat Input
                    ^                             |
                    |                             |
Cable feed ---------'                             '----------> Cable

Thanks guys, I have one question tho, I have my reciver going to a vcr with RCA cable and then the VCR goes to the tv with RCA cable, i dont see how that would work but i wanted to ask you guys. I have a cable line ran to each reciver. Thanks

Uhm, If I am not mistaken, the Diplexors only work with OTA antenna signals. Analog cable goes outside of the frequency range that OTA uses and will interfere with your Satellite reception.

VCRs tend to be very good about converting RCA (composite) to/from RF (coax) signals. I've got one that won't do tape any more, but makes a fine video switcher. :)

Not all of them will do it all of the time (might have to actually be recording or playing tape) - ya just have to try it and see.

thanks for the replys, more then likely I will need to run a coxial line from the dish reciver to the vcr and then use the vcr for a tuner. Thanks

Cyclone said:
Uhm, If I am not mistaken, the Diplexors only work with OTA antenna signals. Analog cable goes outside of the frequency range that OTA uses and will interfere with your Satellite reception.
Using the 4 references found here, it appears that both OTA UHF and analog cable end at 900MHz - except for CATV-Ultraband above Channel 140. http://www.tvtower.com/Commercial Television Frequencies.html

I wonder how many cable companies are using the bandwidth above 900MHz?

SimpleSimon said:
Using the 4 references found here, it appears that both OTA UHF and analog cable end at 900MHz - except for CATV-Ultraband above Channel 140. http://www.tvtower.com/Commercial Television Frequencies.html

I wonder how many cable companies are using the bandwidth above 900MHz?
Not likely for analog cable; under FCC rules, "cable-ready" equipment need only receive up to Channel 125. ("181-channel cable ready" counts UHF broadcast channels as well as cable.) Anything higher is probably digital cable and/or cable modem.

RBBrittain said:
Not likely for analog cable; under FCC rules, "cable-ready" equipment need only receive up to Channel 125. ("181-channel cable ready" counts UHF broadcast channels as well as cable.) Anything higher is probably digital cable and/or cable modem.
Whew - then I don't have to worry about being lynched by all those customers whose cable I diplexed! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)