Hooking up my new DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cesium54

Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Summertown
Greetings,
My first post here, but long time TV watcher.

I got a DirectTV DVR (not HD as I can't/don't get that bird) coming in the mail for Christmas. I see where, since I am installing myself, I need 2 input lines. Can I just use a splitter and use the 1 line that comes in to the house now, or do I have to crawl under the house and put a separate coax line in...There is a splitter of some sorts that was installed when we got the service, we have 3 receivers now.

I searched around a bit, but didn't really see an answer to this question.

If I do use a splitter, which kind? If I do need a second line, got knee pads I can borrow?

Thanx and Happy Hollerdaze
Cesium54

you need to run a 2nd line back to teh existing multiswitch. you cannot use a regular TV splitter between teh RX/DVR and the switch/LNB.

you can use the DVR on teh single line for now, you just will not be able to record one show while watching another, or record 2 shows at once.

you need to run a 2nd line back to teh existing multiswitch. you cannot use a regular TV splitter between teh RX/DVR and the switch/LNB.

you can use the DVR on teh single line for now, you just will not be able to record one show while watching another, or record 2 shows at once.

Thanx for the reply. Someone told me I could try a power pass splitter, ever heard of this?

OK, under the house I go...
Cesium54

Thanx for the reply. Someone told me I could try a power pass splitter, ever heard of this?

OK, under the house I go...
Cesium54

Someone was incorrect.

Regards, Eric

No, someone may NOT be incorrect.
It depends on what exactly the OP is referring to.

He mentioned a power pass something or other, IF he's talking about the SWiM set up then YES he can do this, provided he does the SWiM portion first, replace the LNB and add the Power Inserter and the proper SWiM splitter.

OP, it's NOT a typical splitter that the cable company would use, this is specifically designed for this set up, this would alow you to run your newer recvr and get both tuners working.
They essentially stack the tuner signals, to OVER simplify things.

Your other option would be to run a second coax to the recvr as David said.

What model HD DVR did you get ? You should see a marking at the Sat 1 input that mentions SWiM .
Jimbo

Since the OP said he did not have HD, I made the (dangerous) assumption that he did not have the latest (SWM) technology.

Are you saying that a power pass splitter will split a SWM signal to the 2 inputs on a sd DVR and operate properly?

Last edited:
Since the OP said he did not have HD, I made the (dangerous) assumption that he did not have the latest (SWM) technology.

Are you saying that a power pass splitter will split a SWM signal to the 2 inputs on a sd DVR and operate properly?

Sorry, I missed the NO HD part, they probably would not install a SWiM without HD.
I've been in the "Everyone's" going to HD mode lately.

R16 and R22 are SWM compatible "SD" DVRs but with SWM the splitting is done internally and no splitter is needed behind the receiver.

Another thing, why can't he get the hd satellites? Almost always, if you can get 101, you can get 99 and 103. Since he said, "I can't get that bird", I wonder if he is referring to 119, not knowing about the newer sats. cesium54, is that the case?

Another thing, why can't he get the hd satellites? Almost always, if you can get 101, you can get 99 and 103. Since he said, "I can't get that bird", I wonder if he is referring to 119, not knowing about the newer sats. cesium54, is that the case?

Wow, so much to learn.
I live in a holler, or a hole, as my mother-in-law sez...and in order to get the HD sat I would have to cut too many trees. The dish is on the east side of the house, aiming just past due south. Unless the installer was BS'ing me when he said "we can't put the dish on a metal roof". From my roof, I may be able to get the HD, but honestly, at this point, Direct only offers a few stations in HD, and the money is not worth it.

I don't know what kind of splitter is on my system now, it was a nice long, no workee weekend, maybe this week I'll crawl under the house and see.

Back to the splitter, why can't I just use two female connectors with a piece of solid wire connecting them? One wire in, two wires out. No capacitors, or anything else that may block the outgoing V to run the dish, as I was told the voltage to run the LNB comes from the receiver. or is this more mis-information?

Thanks for the time and info, I miss the good ole daze when hooking up electronics was easy....:confused: (hand me that butter knife, will ya)

see ya
Robbin a.k.a. Cesium54

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)