Hope I am posting this in the right place

Status
Please reply by conversation.

emailthismy

Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Hello All,

I found this website when searching Google for a particular answer, and found the answer on this website, but it was from late 04 or early 05. Just wondered if the answer has changed. The answer then was, local channels were unscrambled from Dish and Direct, is this still the case? Or can they be picked up on another satellite? Whenever I ask an FTA seller, I get: with the right code you can watch anything. This is not what I am looking for. I have a good job, have kids, and would rather not go to jail or be fined because I want to watch a football game!!

I have cable with HBO and everything I want to watch, so I am really interested in whether I can pick up the free networks. I live in SE Oklahoma, and would like Arkansas locals for the sports. For instance, Arkansas was on FOX during basketball season(SEC tourny, I believe) my dad(in AR) was watching the game on FOX, I had hockey on my FOX. Also JP Sports games are not in my area either. I read, also an outdated posts, that a lot of the feeds were on SB6, is this still the case?

There seems to be a ton of information on the internet, but if I ask a question, like this, people will not answer, I guess they think I am wanting hacking info, I am NOT, that is why I bored you with my specific examples!!

Thank you all in advance!

Except for a few audio-only channels everything else is encrypted (scrambled) on Dish and DirecTV.

There are some networks that are true free-to-air, mostly on Galaxy 10R (123 west). A few are from Arkansas but I don't think FOX is one of them.

Thank you for the reply. I was afraid of that after looking at the lyngsat website, but thought maybe they weren't advertised as free. Do you see many sports feeds on SB6, or do you ever check that satellite?

Thanks a ton for your help

Yes the locals on galaxy 10 are still up there and free.
SBS6 has a TON of games come this fall. They are very active Saturday afternoons :D

Iceberg, Are there more locals than just the ones listed on lyngsat? The Saturday afternoon comment has lifted my spirits a bit!! I don't know how big of a college sports fan you are, but do you notice many SEC games on there??

When I was young, we had the mesh dish and received like a TV Guide for satellites that let you know what was coming on where, do those still exsist?

This is great to finally get straight forward answers, thanks a ton!

Also, if you know a particular game will be televised, are the odds fairly good that you will run accross it up there?

No. What is on Lyngsat for G10 is what is there. If you have room for C-band, there are some more locals on there (the big 3 are on Galaxy 4 at 99 degrees west along with a smattering of UPN, WB, and stuff)

As for the games on SBS6, Jefferson Pilot uses SBS6 analog for a bunch of their games so as long as you have an old analog box (like the older C/KU receivers) along with the newer DVB box you’ll have tons of games. I know one weekend there were 8 JP games (some were duplicate channels for 2 feeds (one for each team)).

If you are looking for a specific game it might be on there. Reason I say might is if your team is on CBS it probably wont be available due to CBS scrambling it. Also some games are fibred so we can’t get them. But there are TONS of games out there on a typical weekend. Everything from the “big ones” down to Podunk U vs. Hillbilly College Division III game.

OK. I am sorry, I have tried to read as much as I can on this stuff, but without using it yet, I am lost on this comment:

As for the games on SBS6, Jefferson Pilot uses SBS6 analog for a bunch of their games so as long as you have an old analog box (like the older C/KU receivers) along with the newer DVB box you’ll have tons of games

JP has carried a lot of the games I wanted to see, so I am really interested in this comment if you wouldn't mind breaking it down a little further! Can you still purchase the analog boxes? The DVB boxes are the new ones, right? Could you use both boxes with one dish?

Again, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, it is much appreciated!

emailthismy said:
OK. I am sorry, I have tried to read as much as I can on this stuff, but without using it yet, I am lost on this comment:

As for the games on SBS6, Jefferson Pilot uses SBS6 analog for a bunch of their games so as long as you have an old analog box (like the older C/KU receivers) along with the newer DVB box you’ll have tons of games

JP has carried a lot of the games I wanted to see, so I am really interested in this comment if you wouldn't mind breaking it down a little further! Can you still purchase the analog boxes? The DVB boxes are the new ones, right? Could you use both boxes with one dish?

Again, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, it is much appreciated!

Analog boxes can be found on Ebay, yard sales, classified ads, etc. I don't think there are that many "new" analog boxes out there. Alot of them have the old VCII board (that was used for subscription programming) ripped out and that is fine. These signals are in the clear :)

The DVB boxes are the digital boxes (Pansat, Fortec, Coolsat, etc). Yes you can use both. Its called "slaving". You hook up the DVB box and there is a "loop out" on the boxes which allow you to hook a analog box up. It works pretty slick

various ways to search
C/KU
C/KU recever
C-band <----preferred one

otherwise the manufacturer
Toshiba Reciever
Uniden Receiver
Houston receiver or HTS receiver

Make sure it works for C-Band & KU Band

Would you have to have the huge dish for the C ? What is the smallest you could get away with using ?

There was a recent article in one of the satellite mags where a couple of fellows were getting C-band on 1.2 m dishes.

YMMV significantly with this. :)

I think I am going to have to use the roof of my garage because of trees, so the smaller the better! Has anyone else had reports of the 1.2m ?

Sorry, I dont know what YMMV is??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts