Hoping to move to Dish and have a few questions

stormrider22

Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
GA
Hi all! Would like to ask a few questions re Dish as we're considering them for when our current contract expires, and they look to be far better for TV than our current provider. We're currently with cable and haven't had satellite before, so sorry for some of the silliness of these questions.

1) Can the Wally do On Demand content? On the website it says no on the main MyDish receivers page, but that seems like a rather big omission for what looks like their default non-DVR receiver... There seems to be rather little info available about the receiver online, sadly.

2) How willing would the installer typically be to do a pole installation? I do realize this is a person and situation dependent thing, but it seems like that would be a necessity here since there are a lot of very tall trees surrounding the house itself making a "put it on the roof" installation unlikely. I've used a satellite finding app on my phone so am not super optimistic, but I'm hoping the installer would be able to give a much better opinion having specialized equipment and experience on their side.

3) How consistent is the billing once taxes and fees and all the other stuff is included? With our current provider its almost a game to figure out what the bill will be each month and it's feeling less and less like good value for money.

4) Further to that, how are they for extra fees etc that they don't declare upfront? Like Regional Sports Fee, Broadcast TV Fee, etc? In other words, how much above the advertised price is the bill likely to be?

5) Does Dish bundle Starz and Starz Encore content in 1 section or still separate them out? It's mentioned in a thread on here that you can get the Starz on demand content if you sign up for the Dish Movie Pack so wondering what would be included in that.

6) Is Dish Unplugged still available? If so can anyone provide any more details?

7) Finally, when the checkout system sorts you according to your credit rating and uses that to figure out what reciever you qualify for, how much do you typically have to pay (if anything) to upgrade to the next level? For example, qualifying for a Hopper 1 but wanting a Hopper with Sling instead? And if you did the order online, could you pay the extra money beforehand and ask the installer for the upgrade, or would it be better to call and speak to a person and handle it that way?

Thanks all and much appreciated!

No on demand on the Wally. On demand requires an internal hard drive, and is currently limited to HD DVRs. Billing is accurate as long as you review your bills for when credits and promotion are expiring. The advertised price is definitely achievable, but when you start adding things on such as DVR, it will play a part. I don't think you can get an H1 anymore, but can get an H2 pretty easily. The H3 is the newest and costs the same as an H2. It all depends on qualification. You'll likely qualify for an H3 for free as a new customer.

Reactions: stormrider22
No on demand on the Wally. On demand requires an internal hard drive, and is currently limited to HD DVRs. Billing is accurate as long as you review your bills for when credits and promotion are expiring. The advertised price is definitely achievable, but when you start adding things on such as DVR, it will play a part. I don't think you can get an H1 anymore, but can get an H2 pretty easily. The H3 is the newest and costs the same as an H2. It all depends on qualification. You'll likely qualify for an H3 for free as a new customer.

Only the customers with the best credit qualify for a free H3. Some customers only qualify for a free H1. We've put in 2 in the last couple of weeks and they both downloaded the new UI when set up. They worked good too. :)

Thank you very much to the both of you! Much appreciated :).

I confess this is disappointing, since we use On Demand regularly - close to daily, even. Great news about the billing, though, and honestly that's the more important thing.

Only the customers with the best credit qualify for a free H3. Some customers only qualify for a free H1. We've put in 2 in the last couple of weeks and they both downloaded the new UI when set up. They worked good too. :)

Thanks! Do you know if it's possible to pay for an upgrade to a Hopper better than the one you qualify for, before or at the time of installation, then? If so any idea how much the fee might be? That's great news that the H1 is getting the new UI though - I really like the UI and it's one reason for wanting to come to Dish in the first place. Could this in future translate to a Netflix app coming to the H1, or maybe support for the 52.0 remote perhaps?

Thank you very much to the both of you! Much appreciated :).

Thanks! Do you know if it's possible to pay for an upgrade to a Hopper better than the one you qualify for, before or at the time of installation, then? If so any idea how much the fee might be? That's great news that the H1 is getting the new UI though - I really like the UI and it's one reason for wanting to come to Dish in the first place. Could this in future translate to a Netflix app coming to the H1, or maybe support for the 52.0 remote perhaps?

AFAIK most customers have an upgrade option that's available at the time of ordering. Call your local retailer if you have a good one for the best deals and service. :)

Netflix probably not but the 52.0 remote works on H1's and H2's now as long as they have the new UI.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hi all! Would like to ask a few questions re Dish as we're considering them for when our current contract expires, and they look to be far better for TV than our current provider. We're currently with cable and haven't had satellite before, so sorry for some of the silliness of these questions.

1) Can the Wally do On Demand content? On the website it says no on the main MyDish receivers page, but that seems like a rather big omission for what looks like their default non-DVR receiver... There seems to be rather little info available about the receiver online, sadly.

2) How willing would the installer typically be to do a pole installation? I do realize this is a person and situation dependent thing, but it seems like that would be a necessity here since there are a lot of very tall trees surrounding the house itself making a "put it on the roof" installation unlikely. I've used a satellite finding app on my phone so am not super optimistic, but I'm hoping the installer would be able to give a much better opinion having specialized equipment and experience on their side.

3) How consistent is the billing once taxes and fees and all the other stuff is included? With our current provider its almost a game to figure out what the bill will be each month and it's feeling less and less like good value for money.

4) Further to that, how are they for extra fees etc that they don't declare upfront? Like Regional Sports Fee, Broadcast TV Fee, etc? In other words, how much above the advertised price is the bill likely to be?

5) Does Dish bundle Starz and Starz Encore content in 1 section or still separate them out? It's mentioned in a thread on here that you can get the Starz on demand content if you sign up for the Dish Movie Pack so wondering what would be included in that.

6) Is Dish Unplugged still available? If so can anyone provide any more details?

7) Finally, when the checkout system sorts you according to your credit rating and uses that to figure out what reciever you qualify for, how much do you typically have to pay (if anything) to upgrade to the next level? For example, qualifying for a Hopper 1 but wanting a Hopper with Sling instead? And if you did the order online, could you pay the extra money beforehand and ask the installer for the upgrade, or would it be better to call and speak to a person and handle it that way?

Thanks all and much appreciated!
As far as it goes fee wise dish does not charge rsn fees or other random fees. only thing other than what is part of my package is local taxes and an fcc fee everything else on the bill is my programming or my equipment other than the first receiver which is included

Reactions: Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts