Hopper 3 and the OTA dongle

You might be on to something.

New Hardware would require new Software as in new Drivers. Also if it happens to have more than one tuner in the USB that would also require new software.
I am sure the beta testers are not allowed to tell us due to the signed NDA

"I have an alternate theory. The problem the Hopper 3 is having with OTA is being fixed with manufacturing newly re-engineered dongles. Perhaps it's not just a software issue"

Deja vu all over again... :biggrin

Newbie here and I have been trying to read through all of this and have a few questions if you guys don't mind answering please. I just upgraded from 722 to Hopper 3. My ultimate goal is to get uncompressed OTA signal directly to my TV. Uncompressed through the Hopper 3 is my second choice. If I can do both, even better because recording OTA would be great as well.

The main benefit is to shut off all my gear except for TV attached to OTA antenna. I guess I am old school and try to turn off as much of my stuff as I can during storms. I also really want uncompressed OTA if possible. My TV, for reference is a Samsing 60ks8000. Only has one antenna input.

Questions

1. Will this work directly to my TV or through the Hopper without compression? - Amazon product ASIN B00IF70T4M
2. Does plugging into the USB on back of Hopper 3 work without compression like here? - https://www.mydish.com/support/products/receivers/hopper/how-to/receiver-to-ota

3. If plugging into back of hopper works uncompressed, I assume, with the hopper 3 off I would not still get the feed to TV only if I want to just use the TV Tuner.

I am probably over thinking this and there might be an easier way. Thanks in advance for all replies and suggestions.

First, I need to tell you that OTA is not uncompressed, just less compressed. That said you may see a slightly better picture with an antenna than you would via satellite. I have a Hopper 3 with OTA plugged into a USB port and the difference, for me, is very little. You can, and I did, place a splitter on your coax coming from the antenna that branches both to your Hopper and to your TV. That way you have the option to use it either way.

First, I need to tell you that OTA is not uncompressed, just less compressed. That said you may see a slightly better picture with an antenna than you would via satellite. I have a Hopper 3 with OTA plugged into a USB port and the difference, for me, is very little. You can, and I did, place a splitter on your coax coming from the antenna that branches both to your Hopper and to your TV. That way you have the option to use it either way.

Thanks. Sounds like a splitter would be a simple fix. You have your single OTA antenna plugged into the usb on hopper 3 and onto the splitter to the TV tuner? The dish only has one antenna input? I assume you only have to connect the ota antenna to the hopper via USB?

The dish only has one antenna input? I assume you only have to connect the ota antenna to the hopper via USB?

To be clear, the Hopper doesn't have an OTA Antenna input on it's own. You have to purchase the Dish OTA USB Adapter, which adds the OTA capability to the Hopper. You connect the Antenna to the USB Adapter via coax, then the Adapter plugs into the Hopper via USB

Reactions: MWC
To be clear, the Hopper doesn't have an OTA Antenna input on it's own. You have to purchase the Dish OTA USB Adapter, which adds the OTA capability to the Hopper. You connect the Antenna to the USB Adapter via coax, then the Adapter plugs into the Hopper via USB
OK. That clears it up. I was reading the dish link I supplied earlier wrong. Sounds like I need to get on the phone with dish and get this OTA USB adapter. I assume splitting the signal from the indoor antenna is not going to degrade the signal? Any suggestions on an awesome indoor OTA antenna? I am in Dallas so stations are pretty close but antenna will be placed behind the TV in a built in.

Sounds like I need to get on the phone with dish and get this OTA USB adapter.

Getting on the phone with Dish won't get you very far right now. While the new dual-tuner adapter is available from other third-party sources, Dish themselves haven't started selling them directly yet. Here is one source someone posted earlier in another thread that is selling it slightly below Dish's MSRP:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Dish-OT...264538?hash=item1a24e6f15a:g:NA0AAOSwTglYmqJ-

Reactions: JSheridan
It looks like the seller on Ebay wants $9.90 shipping. I got mine from dishformyrv for $59.99 and free shipping, so it costs less when you factor in the shipping. But if your local dealer has it at a good price, buy local!
https://www.dishformyrv.com/dish-wally-over-the-air-tuner/

I bought it local for $57. It was $61.70 including tax. He included a new splitter. He said he pays $46 for them through Dish. I think he had quite a few in stock. He brought 3 out when I purchased mine. He said he would swap it out as well if I had any problems. If anyone needs one ask your local authorized Dish dealers 1st. Probably as cheap as anyone else.

Now have to decide what amplified indoor antenna to buy?

Reactions: JSheridan
I bought it local for $57. It was $61.70 including tax. He included a new splitter. He said he pays $46 for them through Dish. I think he had quite a few in stock. He brought 3 out when I purchased mine. He said he would swap it out as well if I had any problems. If anyone needs one ask your local authorized Dish dealers 1st. Probably as cheap as anyone else.

Now have to decide what amplified indoor antenna to buy?

Be aware that there are two OTA tuners available for the Hopper, the old single tuner dongle (out of production) and the new dual tuner dongle (second tuner should be enabled with a Hopper update in May... but no telling with Dish). The new dual tuner dongle should look like this:

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: TheKrell
Thanks. This is what I got. I plugged it in this weekend. Worked as planned. I used an indoor antenna in not such a great place to keep it hidden for WAF. I am also splitting the signal so that is hurting as well.

All that being said, I am bringing in every channel except ABC. Channel 8 in DFW. From reading in other threads Channel in * in Dallas brings challenges anyhow

You can put your address in TVfool.com 's TV Signal Locator and see your orientation and distance to TV transmitters. WFAA ABC Channel 8 is VHF and most small indoor antennas are optimized for UHF.

Reactions: pattykay
Reading all of the above would have saved me time; but here's what I did.
Bought a USB dual channel dongle; connected a 'Truth" line amplifier to my exterior Omi- directional antenna.
Added splinters so the OTA goes to both TV's, The hopper3, and my AVR.

The result: I now get 30 OTA channels to the tv's and the hopper; because the line amp doesn't have an FM trap my AVR now gets about 40 more stations.
I believe that Dish will go the way of Direct TV and discontinue support in the future for OTA; why? Dish gets $10.00 a month for local channels; the profit from the dongle is one time. There are over a 100 thousand Dish users that is a lot of lost income and if they continue to have $$ battles with local providers and we have OTA we have no reason to pressure local providers to give in to Dish; the air waves are public property.

I believe that Dish will go the way of Direct TV and discontinue support in the future for OTA why? Dish gets $10.00 a month for local channels; the profit from the dongle is one time. There are over a 100 thousand Dish users that is a lot of lost income

Maybe, but seems they are less concerned with that $10/mo revenue, given they just recently started allowing customers to drop the previously mandatory locals package.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
You kinda countered you're own argument.
Dish pays the channel owner per subscriber to that channel. If 100k customers stopped subscribing to locals, there is a significant amount Dish doesn't have to pay to the channel owners... the channel owners push harder, Dish just gives away free OTA adapters to the remaining customers. If Dish ever decides to support OTA guide data fully, then they could put a cripple on the channel owners... maybe not a crippling blow, but enough to make a strong impact. Then DTV customers knowing they can save $10 on those channels because of OTA come and sign up, and the cycle continues.

Reactions: pattykay
I hope so Scott! One of the big decisions why I'm having DISH installed on the 31st is their OTA support. I just need to place a better antenna I bought last week up into the attic when it gets a bit cooler out. :)

Well, they've pushed me to the CM DVR+ already, and I'll be dropping locals soon.

Just as soon as my MBR Bath renovation is done. The "4-6 week job" now past 11 weeks with one or two more to go. Can't get full access to my MBR HT setup, where I plan to move the DVR+ to.

Curious from others that have added OTA If they see much of a PQ difference? I'm adding my OTA back with a higher antenna as the previous location was pretty dicey and one of the main reasons to do so was in hopes of improved PQ. A side benefit is that I'll have redundancy too in case of Dish fade which seems to be happening more (so I need to get that checked).
But now I'm starting to question whether it's worth the expense and hassle if the PQ is only marginally better. I know it's really dependent on how much Dish is compressing MY locals, but I guess unjust assumed that it would be noticeable. I'm running it on an LG OLE65C7P and for the most part the locals all look pretty darn good...but there's always room for improvement!

Also wanted to clarify that the guide data should continue even if I decide to drop locals? I'm assuming the guide data for the Dish channels that I pay for would then also be replicated on the OTA section as well? Also read that guide data for sub channels probably won't even be produced since Dish doesn't currently offer them to me in my localsnpackage. Is there a way to set a time based recording for chNnels with no guide data?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)