Hopper 3 connected to Internet, 3 Joey2's not!!

sktrus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2020
Ken ta kee
I need advice from experts here.
I am using one Hopper3 and 3 Joey2s. Hopper3 diagnostics show it is connected to Internet via WiFi. Joey2's show they are not. I tried 2 out of 3 Joeys. I even selected 'Reset network'. I watched the progress on tvs connected to Joeys. Both showed Joey successfully connected. But, diagnostics for both show they are not.
My internet service is provided by T-Mobile modem/router thru cell phone tower. (Living in the rural area). Speed is good enough for streaming. I was able to stream with no issues (Dish's own VOD) few months ago. (with Joey2).
So, what do I do? I am getting a model 54.3 remote from Dish today and will pair it with one of the Joeys. The same Joey won't let me use Google services for remote voice activation. (If you check the pictures, you will see.) T-Mobile modem allows over 200 wifi connections. Everything I use at home (laptops, Ipads,Iphones, Amazon speakers) are connected to wifi.No issues.
What is the solution here? Tmobile can is two floors above. I cannot use ethernet cable.
Do I turn tmobile can off then on?
Do I somehow try Joeys to connect again? Several attempts failed.
Do I need Dish reauthorize the system on the phone?

If I remember correctly reading at Dish's web support site, it says if Hopper is connected to Internet successfully, so should all the Joeys.

Any ideas? Thnk You.

Attachments

• Hopper connected to internet.jpeg
    Hopper connected to internet.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Joey not connected 1.jpeg
    Joey not connected 1.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Joey not connected 2.jpeg
    Joey not connected 2.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 104
I even tried changing 'bridging' from off to on. Joey won't let me since that option is grayed out. I cannot even select it!

Bridging on the Hopper needs to be on, not necessary on the Joeys because they are clients and have nothing to “bridge” to. After making sure it’s on, go ahead and reboot the Hopper (if you can’t because something is recording then do a network reset on the Hopper), then, after you have verified it’s connected again, go ahead to each Joey and give it a reboot as well (holding the power button is sufficient).

Thanks Scott & Ethan.
You fellas r right. Hopper 3 must be used in order to use 'bridging' for smooth Joey-Internet connection. (Joey initially grayed out that bridging' feature.) It worked and I am super happy now. All 3 Joeys are connected to Internet.

I also did something else. There are 2 floors between Hopper and modem. The internet signal on Hopper fluctuated between 32 and 40. I thought it was low. I am using a wifi extender on the first floor. (Hopper is in the basement.). So, I changed the network connection from modem/router to that extender. Now, the signal is around 56.

Thanks again.:clapping

Thanks Scott & Ethan.
You fellas r right. Hopper 3 must be used in order to use 'bridging' for smooth Joey-Internet connection. (Joey initially grayed out that bridging' feature.) It worked and I am super happy now. All 3 Joeys are connected to Internet.

I also did something else. There are 2 floors between Hopper and modem. The internet signal on Hopper fluctuated between 32 and 40. I thought it was low. I am using a wifi extender on the first floor. (Hopper is in the basement.). So, I changed the network connection from modem/router to that extender. Now, the signal is around 56.

Thanks again.:clapping
Hoppers have historically had issues staying consistently connected to expenders. You should look into replacing those with Mesh Routers

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks Hipkat. I am following sales on mesh systems at Amazon. Pretty much everybody says they work better than range extenders.
I've been delighted with my pair of Orbi's. I bought them because they allow for a wired backhaul, as well as a built-in switch for a solid connection to wired equipment nearby.

Google Wifi was cool until there app got migrated to Google Home, and most features don't work unless you consent to Google knowing what you ate for breakfast the last few years. TP Link Deco is a pretty good bang-to-buck option, but Orbi's are pretty good if you can afford them (or even better, hardwired DDWrt+R7000's, but that's not mesh or a solution for everybody)

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts